Sellers Rant ! Idiot buyers with stupid questions !

vklobucar

Reaction score
So I have decided to sell of a few guitars including a sweet 1981Gibson Les Paul Tobacco Deluxe.

I pride myself on taking many detailed pictures (frets, headstock, pickup cavity, control cavity etc) and giving a proper detailed description.

Now if a potential buyer overlooked one aspect of my sale (ie. comes with original hardshell case) I can understand that. But when a buyer emails me and rattles off one stupid question after another, I choose to just ignore and not respond.

Then of course there is the mother of all dumb questions......

"Why are you selling?"

Huh? Go into a supermarket or car dealership and ask that same idiotic question and see the stares that you'll get!

Sigh......

Mockbel

Reaction score
Easy man.. it is not that dumb ... I myself ask this question but always on phone and after getting some chat with seller.. I ask it as a piece of chat rather than looking for some info about the item

I would be real dumb if I expected an answer of “because it is a bad guitar” or “because it has flaws”:laugh2:

vklobucar

Reaction score
Sorry but I must disagree.

Its almost the same as when I state " no shipping, deliveries, or trades thank you" and yet still get asked those very questions.

I do not understand how or why folks need to ask "why are you selling?"

There are countless reasons why people buy and sell gear and quite frankly why I am selling is nobody's business.

It just sounds weird to me.

You like what I am selling? Cool ! Buy it and enjoy it too :)

vklobucar

Reaction score
I doubt a single forum member would walk into a local GC and point to a guitar for sale in the used section (or new for that matter) and ask "why are you selling?" and yet thru private sales that's somehow ok?

To each his own, but I disagree.

I had a fellow shoot dumb question after another to me a while back and then demand that "If he bought the guitar" issue a bill of sale AND written warranty too! All from a private classifieds sale!

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
In a guitar store I can check the guitars myself, completely different situation.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I agree with OP that having the first question as “Why are you selling?” Is kind of dumb and gives an impression that I am here just to waste seller’s time... but in general, it is a normal chat question IMO... I won’t get offended if potential buyer asked me “so why are you selling it?”

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, I always get tons of questions when I sell stuff online. I don't sell stuff very often, but when I do I make it a priority to myself to give 100% honest and full information. Firstly because I want a buyer to feel confident and there is no issues afterwards that there was wrong information. Second because I hate stupid questions. So what I do is give the most detailed description of everything that matters, and also a lot of high quality pictures.
And then, you still get many questions, some of them stupid.
Last guitar I sold was 100% mint Gibson LP Standard, unplayed, not a scratch, etc. Laquer so shiny you could see my face in the reflection. Only 1 slight detail: There was some oxidation on the pickups because of the nickel covers.
Then people want pictures form underside of the pickups because they dont believe pickups are original. Then I tell them, no, pickups are original because the guitar is 100% original, and soldering on the pots is untouched. You can see on the pictures I added. Noooo, they still want pictures from underside of the pickups.
People demand(!) more pictures of the headstock while there is HD pictures of front and back already. And the list goes on.

However, the only question that doesn't bother me is the "why do you sell it" question. And I also ask it myself all the time. Why? Because it can give some usefull information. If people just need the money they're usually more easily to negotioate a lower price with. If they sell part of their collection it's a sign they are very aware of the value. If people say I quit playing guitar you can usually negotiate a better price. If people say "i doesnt get played" makes you wonder if there's an issue of just a bad guitar or something?
Example: I'm interested in a strat at this very moment. It appears as if parts are changed / laquer is sanded or something. I ask about what is changed and the guy says: nothing is changed. Who do you sell? I got it in a trade. And also he is open for trades against another strat. To me this is a clear indication something is up with this strat because. So i'm still interested in the guitar but I aproach with extra caution. For me this is usefull info

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with OP that having the first question as “Why are you selling?” Is kind of dumb and gives an impression that I am here just to waste seller’s time... but in general, it is a normal chat question IMO... I won’t get offended if potential buyer asked me “so why are you selling it?”
Disagree. I think this is a honest question and should be honestly answered. Also, it's more the energy you'd spend getting upset with a seller question, then just spending 30 seconds to write a honest reply.

When I sell something I do always declare why I'm leaving that thing to go, and all the details I can think of. Never had to call any buyer as "idiot". :)

Stevie 202

Reaction score
I doubt a single forum member would walk into a local GC and point to a guitar for sale in the used section (or new for that matter) and ask "why are you selling?" and yet thru private sales that's somehow ok?
GC (any retailer actually) is there to sell merchandise so no, no one would ask.

Private sellers on the other hand sell for a variety of reasons.

Bad comparison IMHO

sparky2

Reaction score
I try to separate the necessary from the unnecessary stresses when I am selling a guitar.

Necessary:
Does the guy have the money?
Is he going to try and low-ball me?
Will he meet in a public place, or try and convince me to meet at his house. Or want to come to my house?
No stress.
I will only sell to somebody with the cash, full price, and we will meet in person at a very public place.

Unnecessary:
Does he ask too many questions?
Did he even read my ad?
Is he a moron?
Is he a functional idiot?
Is he worthy of owning my guitar?
No stress.
If he comes thru with the cash, and he's not Josef Mengele, I'm selling the guitar to him.

:)

ns2a

Reaction score
"Why are you selling?"
I sometimes ask this, just to get the conversation going. And sometimes, they will be honest and tell you it's a pile of crap or they need the money or whatever.

It's kind of like in a job interview where they ask "what is your biggest weakness"? :)

grumphh

Reaction score
I may have asked the question "why are you selling" a few times.
I will say though that i only ask this in the context of a conversation, either over the phone or in person.
Why? In some cases curiosity, in others small talk, simply.

I am sure that just as many times i have not asked that question.

I probably would not ask it in a message.
Then again, i don't buy sight unseen - and i usually call people when i am interested in buying their stuff, and do personal sales/buys only, and when i meet a seller it is because the sale has already been concluded over the phone. So the question mainly comes up when i already have bought the thingy for sale.

However, i think it is ridiculous to rant about such a question though - if the potential buyer otherwise seems legit, then a quick line like "because i have collected to many guitars" is a simple and not rude answer, to something that is presumably an innocent question.

Sellers who think they have the right to rant about actual potential buyers can get lost.

...however, i think sellers are free to rant about "tyre kickers" - but it takes more than just this one question to identify a tyre kicker...

Deftone

Reaction score