Seeking pedal order advice

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
My current board consists of the following signal chain:

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.54.09 AM.png

The 2 pedals I am adding will be the Boss CP-1x compressor and the Digitech Freqout

Where would you place these 2 new pedals in the chain as I know both the Digitech Freqout is true bypass except in momentary mode, when it becomes buffered so, not sure how much the fuzz will like that) and that a compressor is usually first in the chain as well.

Any advice would most assuredly be appreciated - thank you.

Last edited:

gitmohair

Reaction score
Link to the picture of your board doesn't work, at least for me :/ And what are you hoping to get from the new pedals? I'd personally not stick a compressor first in the chain, but that's just me. It really all down to what you're after...

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Link to the picture of your board doesn't work, at least for me :/ And what are you hoping to get from the new pedals? I'd personally not stick a compressor first in the chain, but that's just me. It really all down to what you're after...

Oops - photo is now fixed

Well, from the Freqout, some nice feedback and ability to have it on for some ambient pads and from the compressor, some extra sustain

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Got that now. What's the guitar/amp set up? Any what style are you aiming at?

Well the guitars I use will be an LPC and a Gretsch White Falcon Billy Duffy signature

The amps are:

Left: Port City Pearl head (50W)
Right: PRS Tremonti head (15W)

gitmohair

Reaction score
If it were me (and it's not) I'd stick the delay in the effects loop, ditch all the other pedals apart from the fuzz box (assuming it's there as an effect) and turn the volume up some. Compressors are great in loads of situations, but not I think in yours. YMMV (and others will no doubt tell me I'm talking b***ocks) and it's your sound, of course.

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
If it were me (and it's not) I'd stick the delay in the effects loop, ditch all the other pedals apart from the fuzz box (assuming it's there as an effect) and turn the volume up some. Compressors are great in loads of situations, but not I think in yours. YMMV (and others will no doubt tell me I'm talking b***ocks) and it's your sound, of course.

Ahhhh a minimalist :) I like it

gitmohair

Reaction score
Always a good starting point :) There's an article somewhere online about how Robert Fripp got the sustained sound on Heroes, worth checking out (though not necessarily practical). I've tended to find that when you've got to the number of pedals you've got in what is a well good rig anyway that you can lose sight of the good basic sound you've already got and that it's worth taking the lot out and then seeing what you actually *need* to get the sound you're after. There's a temptation to think "well, I've got this stuff, if I just add..."

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Always a good starting point :) There's an article somewhere online about how Robert Fripp got the sustained sound on Heroes, worth checking out (though not necessarily practical). I've tended to find that when you've got to the number of pedals you've got in what is a well good rig anyway that you can lose sight of the good basic sound you've already got and that it's worth taking the lot out and then seeing what you actually *need* to get the sound you're after. There's a temptation to think "well, I've got this stuff, if I just add..."
Was it this article?

gitmohair

Reaction score
Not the one I was thinking of (there's one where Fripp discusses it) but same tale. It's just feedback, no widgets. IIRC he put marks on the floor of the studio where particular notes fed back best and moved about some (apologies to Mr Fripp if I've misquoted him).

For me, get the core sound right and add the odd effect if you need it. I appreciate that this is "old school" (see also Jeff Beck), but I'm old ;) Worth a try before you spend any more money though? And you can't beat sheer volume for some sounds, sadly :/

Last edited:

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Not the one I was thinking of (there's one where Fripp discusses it) but same tale. It's just feedback, no widgets. IIRC he put marks on the floor of the studio where particular notes fed back best and moved about some (apologies to Mr Fripp if I've misquoted him).

For me, get the core sound right and add the odd effect if you need it. I appreciate that this is "old school" (see also Jeff Beck), but I'm old ;) Worth a try before you spend any more money though? And you can't beat sheer volume for some sounds, sadly :/

Agreed about going old school and getting real feedback but, hard to do in a bedroom

gitmohair

Reaction score
Or... again ditching half the pedals, try a bog standard BIg Muff (originally intended as a "sustainer" IIRC) and maybe even an EBow as well, depending on what you're after musically. I'm not too convinced (personal taste/experience and all that) that a compressor as an additional pedal is going to help much. The Freqout might, but I've no personal experience at all of the thing and don't know anyone who's got one (yes, there are plenty of "made me an instant Rock God" reviews out there, but you'll find good reviews for anything if you look hard enough. dc007 didn't baulk at your suggestion of using one, though, and he may well know the thing. Try one, I guess, that's the only really useful test.

It'll be interesting to see if you do nail the sound you're after though, and how you got it :)

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Or... again ditching half the pedals, try a bog standard BIg Muff (originally intended as a "sustainer" IIRC) and maybe even an EBow as well, depending on what you're after musically. I'm not too convinced (personal taste/experience and all that) that a compressor as an additional pedal is going to help much. The Freqout might, but I've no personal experience at all of the thing and don't know anyone who's got one (yes, there are plenty of "made me an instant Rock God" reviews out there, but you'll find good reviews for anything if you look hard enough. dc007 didn't baulk at your suggestion of using one, though, and he may well know the thing. Try one, I guess, that's the only really useful test.

It'll be interesting to see if you do nail the sound you're after though, and how you got it :)

I guess I come from the school of "more is more" lol

Freqout supposedly arriving later today - once it does, here is how I am going to wire it at first:

Fuzz->Compressor->OD->Freqout->Delay (stereo out) left Chase Tone SP/right JHS Clover

gitmohair

Reaction score
Ah, so the delay is working as a splitter and can't go in the loop of one of the amps? Hope it works out (let us know :)), but also try using just the one amp with the deiay in the loop...

I used to be in the "more is more" school till it started causing horrible problems at gigs :/ There may be a place to demonstrate your electrical analytical/servicing skills but IMHO it's not in front of an audience who were expecting music :) Having said that, I've seen Gong a few times and they could have been servicing washing machines and I'd have been none the wiser.

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Ah, so the delay is working as a splitter and can't go in the loop of one of the amps? Hope it works out (let us know :)), but also try using just the one amp with the deiay in the loop...

I used to be in the "more is more" school till it started causing horrible problems at gigs :/ There may be a place to demonstrate your electrical analytical/servicing skills but IMHO it's not in front of an audience who were expecting music :) Having said that, I've seen Gong a few times and they could have been servicing washing machines and I'd have been none the wiser.

Yes - the delay works as a splitter - I can certainly try it in the loop recording guitar in mono

I have not gigged in 25 years - now, I compose for myself and every once in a while send the tracks I am working on to friends

Here is something I started working on the other week:

https://soundcloud.com/morphine-noir%2Fguitarnewew%2Fs-KU11F65jta6

gitmohair

Reaction score
Nice. Very nice. Respect, Sir :) I am now wondering, of course, why you don't go full modeller on the guitar (unless you've got a huge bedroom and the rest of those instruments are live and mic'd ;))? Or perhaps you share tracks with friends and build them up as they add stuff (I know a few people who've been trying this as a result of lockdown, for example). Either way, sounds good :)

Oh, and some Gong for anyone reading this thread who didn't get the washing machine bit:

Maybe you could post another tune with the set up you come up with?

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
Nice. Very nice. Respect, Sir :) I am now wondering, of course, why you don't go full modeller on the guitar (unless you've got a huge bedroom and the rest of those instruments are live and mic'd ;))? Or perhaps you share tracks with friends and build them up as they add stuff (I know a few people who've been trying this as a result of lockdown, for example). Either way, sounds good :)

Oh, and some Gong for anyone reading this thread who didn't get the washing machine bit:

Maybe you could post another tune with the set up you come up with?
Well, that music was interesting to say the least - always good to broaden my musical horizons

Re; modelers - up until recently, I had been just using NeuralDSP amp sims but decided to get back into the pedal and amp game a few months ago

As for my bedroom studio - I can certainly not fit an entire symphony therein - have to stick with virtual instruments for that

As for sending to friends - they are friends, not musicians and they contribute nothing to the tracks other than saying "sounds good man" or "I don't know why, but I hate the drums on that track"

Once I get the setup finished (all depends on when USPS decides to deliver today), I will attempt to record something (including my new LPC)

Mookakian

Reaction score
Seems like you have a pretty good grip on the chain, interesting way to use the delay i like it when people look outside the standard.

Latest Threads