Seeking my first Les Paul bought in 1977

Crusader

Reaction score
(I hope its okay to post this here)

My first Les Paul was an ebony Custom with serial number 250 000
If anyone in Australia thinks they have it or know where it is, I would be interested to know how its going. Apparently it was in Concept Music in Perth around 2001 and bought by one of the staff

My LP Custom.jpg

Gridlock

Reaction score
My first Les Paul was also a 1977 Les Paul Custom, but in Cherry Wine. A very good guitar. Kept if for almost 30 years and then stupidly sold it. Last known whereabouts, somewhere in North East Florida.

I wish you luck with your quest.

72ED9163-639E-4F71-8430-F77DE7877233.jpeg

2DF4AA26-D6DE-4963-B28A-D889DF84921E.jpeg

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Your ser# is missing a few digits. I'm assuming it was on a sticker, but the 2 digit prefix would have told if it was a 77, or from the previous 2 years, which both had different prefixes.

Crusader

Reaction score
Your ser# is missing a few digits. I'm assuming it was on a sticker, but the 2 digit prefix would have told if it was a 77, or from the previous 2 years, which both had different prefixes.
Thanks for your comments, it may actually help finding it. But the serial number was definitely 250 000 and it was stamped in. I bought it in 1977 but it wasn't necessarily made in that year. I remember the number because 250 is the size of the big 6-cyl motor in Australian Ford Falcons (as well as many motorcycles etc.)

Someone told me that going by the serial number it was the first one made in the Norlin era. But looking in the book (Gruhn's guide to Vintage Guitars??) shows that serial numbers were doubled-up (I'm pretty sure it says this) I bought that book but I couldn't figure it all out, I will have to have another look

Also, when I bought it, it had some blemishes. There was some black lacquer on the binding and right near that some white (paint?) on the black. There was also a machine mark on the top between the pickups (However I saw the guitar years later and the blemishes had been cleaned up)

Its a bit of a long story. I told the guy in the local shop that I want a black Les Paul and he looked in a book and says they are $1080....but I can do you one for $900. I was a bit puzzled because I didn't ask for a discount but I just shrugged and said "okay"

When it came in my father took me to pick it up and when I opened the case (in the shop) I noticed the blemishes and I didn't want to accept it. I wanted to pay the full price and get a good one but the shop guy and my father were engaged in conversation

....So it may have been sitting in a shop for years and/or got rejected many times before it got to me

Last edited:

Crusader

Reaction score
Yes going by the serial number, Gruhn’s book says it was made between 1973 and 1975

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
lol...don't put any stock into that date from gruhn's based on those 6 digits.

if you ever find it, post a pic of the serial number.

I would be surprised to find that particular serial number.

Crusader

Reaction score
.....if you ever find it, post a pic of the serial number.
I would be surprised to find that particular serial number.
You don’t believe me? I must admit I was surprised myself

This is the second time I have looked for it. Ten years after I sold it I put an ad in the newspaper and had the serial number as 250 000 000. I got a call a few days later from the owner at the time and we had a bit of a laugh about the 3 extra zeros

Other details about it are
Pancake Body
3-piece Neck
Voluté
“Made In USA” on back of headstock

Crusader

Reaction score
Here’s the info from Gruhn’s book, all over the place aren't they LOL
7CCD43F6-75B9-41A7-88F4-C61D38221E22.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah, they filled out numbers seemingly in batches.....so if they weren't an even 100 or so in the batch, the numbers they used skipped so the first one started at the next 100 (or 1000). So there were all these gaps in the ledgers.
Then it got toward the start of the sticker era/Nashville factory opening and they managed to delay the Kalamazoo uptake of the stickers until all the 6-digit numbers had been used (so the supply started at the same time for both factories more or less).
Its a right mess for dating thats for sure.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
trust but verify....... pics will tell the tale.

I would like to see that serial number on a headstock, to verify it.

again, I would not put much stock in those ranges....the best way to date 70's les pauls is through multiple points of reference.

Crusader

Reaction score
My first Les Paul was also a 1977 Les Paul Custom, but in Cherry Wine. A very good guitar. Kept if for almost 30 years and then stupidly sold it. Last known whereabouts, somewhere in North East Florida.
For a short time I had an Alex Lifeson LP Axcess and now its somewhere in Korea!

Crusader

Reaction score
Oh well I contacted the shop where it was last known to be and they don't remember it and its too long ago to look up records

Crusader

Reaction score
Your Custom was most probably a 75
Yes I have narrowed it down to that year after finding out about "witch-hat" knobs of the earlier models. I don't think I've ever seen a Les Paul with them, didn't know they existed until reading on these forums

I have had no success in finding the guitar so far. I found it in 1997 by placing an ad in the Sunday Times and got an immediate response, but not this time round. I am mostly interested to find out if it had a Long tenon neck joint and if it had a Maple neck and how much it weighed. I never thought of taking note of such things when I was 16

So with all the information I've gathered so far I think it was probably made in Kalamazoo, had a mahogany neck with Trans-tenon and weighed 10-11 pounds. Does anyone agree with my thinking?

EDIT. I just realised I have missed out some important info
I'm sure the neck was Mahogany and it had an ABR-1 bridge (the one with retaining wire)

Last edited:

Crusader

Reaction score
My first Les Paul was also a 1977 Les Paul Custom, but in Cherry Wine.....
When I saw "The Song Remains The Same" I thought Jimmy had a good choice of guitar - but it should be black! Then when I was deciding what LP to buy I considered the "Ox Blood" colour, but I stuck to "its gotta be black"

Here's me in 1977, a 16yo kid with a freaking Gibson LP Custom!
Bar 17.jpg

Latest Threads