Secure website

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeps taking mine over too

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Mods can’t fix this. Not what they do. I think it’s the admin.
I was getting taken over by ads every 15 seconds for a while. It seems to come and go. I just installed a VPN and clicked the free trial and it seems better so far. It’s been about 20min and it’s clear. If it goes the whole week with no pop ups, maybe I’ll suscribe.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the no ads option when I renewed my account membership. Shouldn't have to, but without it the site is useless

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I did too, you must have double platinum and I got platinum plated lol

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Ghostery browser on my mobiles...

I use Ghostery plugin in my computer browsers....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mobile ---> IS <--- about worthless without something to block the takeover crap...

But don't blame Alex....

or Peter.....or Dave......or that Vic guy over there behind the curtain...Don't look over there... Geeze...

They have ZERO to do with whatever ad shows up.

Think of a page like a digital billboard. Alex OWNS the digital billboard but has zero to do with content. A service pays to throw ads on that billboard but ALex is NOT involved, he just owns the real estate.

Everywhere on a page where an ad sits is a digital billboard so to speak....

I could live with the ads in placeholders... It is the popups that grab focus but will NOT relinquish back.
(focus: visual control of the interface... Think two apps on your laptop running, each full screen. You hit Alt-Tab to switch to the other app. Whichever one you see has "focus" and control is nailed to it until you switch to a different app)

Some popups are pushed that grab focus and absolutely will NOT relinquish back. Rat bastid coders...

Info/explanation/ponderings about ads on websites/forums/whatever:

Even Alex has no control over the 'actual' ads... It is a subscription ad service. There is real estate on style sheets (think page) reserved for ads.... The Mule has gotta pay the light bill and such, the Mule has to be hosted somewhere which ain't free, and Alex has to make some bucks to make it worth his while to keep the Mule up.... Not to mention he's gotta eat, pay bills, and hopefully make bucks for his effort....

The Mule gets paid for ad impressions and/or click-thrus by the ad service.... You go to a web page, an ad is on the web page, you are one impression. Some pay for that. Some push the ads to the page as previous, but only pay when someone actually clicks on the ad to visit the site. That is click-thru...

Hosting ain't free, bandwidth ain't free, a persons time ain't free....

You get what you pay for. The Mule must pay for itself at minimum but needs to actually clear some points for it to be worth the headache for Alex... Alex has gotta pay Web Munky too... I doubt he'll work for free...

I pay for my seat as to help pay bills around here... There are some folks that just ain't got the cash laying around to pay for theirs, so I look at it as I am in a position where I can, they're not.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And folks wonder where I got "The Mule" from...
20181230_145427.jpg

Ain't even gonna talk about the private resort...

:squint:

Latest Threads