Secrets of a Vintage 1959 Gibson Les Paul

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so mr fretboarder? I guess there is always a guy of repeating ‘lore’ as I call it, the stuff that gets repeated by people with no actual knowledge of a given subject. I might not agree with one of two points, but nonsense?

Johnnyslim

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit about the earliest Les Paul's and Spanish mountain cedar. Any truth to that? I know my '52 conversion sounds like no other Les Paul I have played. Very light and loud when played unplugged. Plugged in it is a very clear sounding guitar. First time I have heard of this Spanish mountain cedar thing.

Deftone

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit about the earliest Les Paul's and Spanish mountain cedar. Any truth to that? I know my '52 conversion sounds like no other Les Paul I have played. Very light and loud when played unplugged. Plugged in it is a very clear sounding guitar. First time I have heard of this Spanish mountain cedar thing.
I would love see pics.

korus

Reaction score
It’s a miracle that any modern Les Paul doesn’t sound like total shit, what with all the fatal shortcomings ... :) I dunno how we even make music with these things.
It is OK, really. You prefer tone of modern Les Paul to tone of original Les Paul. 90-95% of general public prefers modern. That is the reason why guitar industry does not make ANY Les Paul with the tone of originals for 50+ years.

Modern LPs do not sound like shit. When compared to original tone - they sound too bright too thin too brash. They have more treble and less mids than originals - due to modern metal hardware being too hard. It is DELIBERATE change in design. It is because general public hears treble poorly and modern LPs gives them more treble to hear balanced tone. Free market works that way - if you need greater profit you make guitars majority of generali public prefers.

You can simply admit you dislike tone of originals when compared to modern ones. It does not take any courage.

Facts involved are all beyond simple. There is no issue to be discussed at all. Reality is the same, it is our human hearing ability that varies due to variance in individual DNA. It makes sure we hear tone of original LPs and modern LPs - DIFFERENTLY.

There was no need to stop making original tone - we can have BOTH original AND modern tone. 1%-5% guitars with orifinal tone would be enough.

Last edited:

Johnnyslim

Reaction score
I do agree with Korus. I do believe every guitar regardless of price or electronics has a sweet spot. The owner may like that guitar tone, might not. Upgrade at will. There is far more to guitar tone than just the wood and electronics. The amp, speakers, etc play a big part in the total tone equation. Not to mention the player.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst on the subject i do wonder if the 1960 version with the slimmer neck was an attempt by Gibson to compete with the strats sound somehow? dunno, I have just stuck the wizz beano alnico 5 mag pickup back in the bridge of the 60th R0 yesterday, and with the reference of playing the stock pickups for a good few months, the beano suddenly clicked for me, for higher gain overdrive its bright, but not icepick (although crank the treble too much....), in short I love it, it sounds more 'metal' than more modern guitars do, its not like the R9 i have which is an atypical old les paul sound, which for my is an almost banjo shape to the envelope shape of the note, as in very sharp attack, which can really thump with certain picking techniques, a fast decay element, then it becomes its own thing, with a sustain part that blooms, which i also love for its different sound.

BDW60

Reaction score
It is OK, really. You prefer tone of modern Les Paul to tone of original Les Paul. 90-95% of general public prefers modern. That is the reason why guitar industry does not make ANY Les Paul with the tone of originals for 50+ years.

Modern LPs do not sound like shit. When compared to original tone - they sound too bright too thin too brash. They have more treble and less mids than originals - due to modern metal hardware being too hard. It is DELIBERATE change in design. It is because general public hears treble poorly and modern LPs gives them more treble to hear balanced tone. Free market works that way - if you need greater profit you make guitars majority of generali public prefers.

You can simply admit you dislike tone of originals when compared to modern ones. It does not take any courage.

Facts involved are all beyond simple. There is no issue to be discussed at all. Reality is the same, it is our human hearing ability that varies due to variance in individual DNA. It makes sure we hear tone of original LPs and modern LPs - DIFFERENTLY.

There was no need to stop making original tone - we can have BOTH original AND modern tone. 1%-5% guitars with orifinal tone would be enough.
oh no, I do not dislike the tone I hear of the originals. I think what I hear is awesome, though I have never had the opportunity to actually play one.

It’s just that they are fetishized to a degree I find humorous, and I also chuckle at people like the guy in the video above who are espousing theories as if they are cold, hard facts.

Johnnyslim

Reaction score
BDW60...I have played numerous 50's bursts, goldtops, 335's etc. The cold hard truth is...I still sound like me. These vintage guitars are certainly special but not as special as the players who made them famous. Dickie Betts said he never wanted to sound like another guitar player...he wanted to sound like himself. That is all we can ever hope to do.

Wise Guy

Reaction score

Yes any A/B comparison I've listened to I always end up picking the modern sound. To me they have enhanced mid ranges.

Latest Threads