Second Hand Binding Bleed?

marshall2553

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I have no issue with binding bleed on my reissues, I just wish they'd keep it to themselves.

I keep several guitars out on a multi-guitar stand, including a couple of reissue LPs and a virtually brand new USA TV Yellow Special. At some point I put the Special back on the stand in the slot where an R9 had been for several weeks. Today I picked it up and noticed a faint pink spot on the neck right where it rested against the padding on the stand. The only explanation I can come up with is the pink transferred from the R9 onto the padding and then to my Special, which seems crazy. Is that even possible? The padding on this stand does not react with nitro and hasn't caused any other issues, but I think I'll start covering the foam with a towel or something.

marshall2553

Reaction score
The rubber or padding may be lacquer safe on stands or hangers but the aniline red dye will still wick into it from the back and neck finish on a reissue.
I’ve always covered the padding on stands when I wasn’t sure it was lacquer safe, but I didn’t realize the dye could still wick into the safe ones. I guess I’ll start cutting up some t-shirts. Btw that lemon burst R0 I bought from you a couple weeks ago is great, thanks!

mdubya

Reaction score
:photos: or it didn't happen.

Happy Friday. :p

calieng

Reaction score
Hercules Stands with the black foam padding are the only ones that do not cause lacquer bleed that I had tried.

For my other stands (K&M Guardian) they are not lacquer safe in the long term. I use small cotton washcloth on the contact points (buy in bulk from Costco).

calieng

Reaction score
I ordered this for the K&M stands I have for a more permanent solution. Worked pretty good and cheap. One pack is all you need to insulate the contact areas.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rubber or padding may be lacquer safe on stands or hangers but the aniline red dye will still wick into it from the back and neck finish on a reissue.
I’ve always covered the padding on stands when I wasn’t sure it was lacquer safe, but I didn’t realize the dye could still wick into the safe ones. I guess I’ll start cutting up some t-shirts. Btw that lemon burst R0 I bought from you a couple weeks ago is great, thanks!
+1 on the aniline dye wicking...

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/aniline-dye-bleed-and-string-swing-wall-hanger.308100/

jlb32

Reaction score
I personally do not worry about it as long as the materials on the stand do not stain the guitar. Dye bleed on the neck binding, etc.... is just something that happens.

DanD

Reaction score
My '04 CR6 0008 had serious bleed. By the time I sold it a few years back it was virtually non-existent.

It'll fade/ wear away over time. When it does you may miss it.

marshall2553

Reaction score
I personally do not worry about it as long as the materials on the stand do not stain the guitar. Dye bleed on the neck binding, etc.... is just something that happens.
My '04 CR6 0008 had serious bleed. By the time I sold it a few years back it was virtually non-existent.

It'll fade/ wear away over time. When it does you may miss it.
I usually don’t worry about it either. The problem in this case is it looks kind of weird on my TV yellow Special. Hopefully it will fade.

moreles

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. That shouldn't happen, particularly to the extent that the color transfer from one guitar was enough to deposit on the stand and then transfer to the other. That suggests lame finishing on the guitars (current nitro is not great stuff) and some degree of solvent action by the stand.

I leave all my player guitars on stands, using the A frame type at home to avod anything grabbing the neck, and buy good stands known to be safe. I have never had a finish problem, even with instruments kept out in the stand for long periods -- years. They get played, so they're not resting in one spot forever, and most are older, so they don't have soft new lacquer.

Most of the stand brands mentioned on this and other threads are iffy, IMO.

Latest Threads