Searching for pick nirvana... suggestions

Lester

Reaction score
Looking for some pick suggestions. I like the celluloid material Fender uses, it's crisp, fast, and doesn't start to indent after a short time. Classic triangle is my shape. But the thin is too thin for me and the medium too thick.

I tried out Dunlop 0.60' Tortex. Thickness is just about right, but the material is soft... and they take a set after a short time.

Any suggestions on a pick that's tough and fast like celluloid, but in a 0.60 thickness or thereabouts?

Thanks,

brianugly

Reaction score
I stole some of Axe's picks...and they are pretty sweet, they last longer than my tortex's...

opalburn

Reaction score
i use dunlop ultex sharps... they look like snot, but i love the way they play.. and they have a sharper point, so they are similar to the triangles in that respect. the thinnest you can get is .73 i think.. they are pretty light and smooth. i switched to these after using tortex for years...

EasyAce

Reaction score
Looking for some pick suggestions. I like the celluloid material Fender uses, it's crisp, fast, and doesn't start to indent after a short time. Classic triangle is my shape. But the thin is too thin for me and the medium too thick.
I'm surprised to see you have that problem with the Fender Medium celluloids. I've been using those for years and never had a problem with their thickness. I tried other brands' mediums and those did give me a problem---either too thick or too thin. Never with the Fenders . . .

River

Reaction score
Play a brass Teck Pick. Or a Dunlop Rhino, if you're man enough.

I think you'd rather just start threads, but what the hell do I know? Not much.

Xavier_32

Reaction score
For guitar all I use is the same pick I've had for the past 11 years. A dark purple, thickest of the three, Dunlop Big Stubby that a friend gave me the week I started playing guitar. It lives in my wallet in the compartment where pictures go. I've lost it several times over the years, but it always turns up a few weeks later. Over the years I've tried other picks and have even gone through phases of enjoying the tone and attack I get from other materials and thicknesses better than the big stubby, but it's still my #1. It just has that mojo I can't refuse, and I doubt the audience notices the difference in sound between picks. It's sort of a good luck charm for me at this point.

When I play bass, I use a silver quarter from 1964 (the last year they were minted) that I had smashed into an oval and imprinted with Donald Duck by a souvenir machine at Disneyland. I recommend sticking just one silver quarter into any of those souvenir machines you come across to give it a try as a pick. The silver makes for great tone, and the machine makes it thin enough to be used as a pick. Just be prepared to have it shred your strings.

Axis39

Reaction score
Another +1 for the Ultex. I like the .73's as well, but they do make them in .60... too flimsy for me though. 1.0's I use from time to time.

I wish they made them in a teardrop though.... I found a couple of Dunlop yellow picks in .73 that I love the shape of... I just wish they were Ultex material.

Oh, the one big downpoint to Ultex? If you drop them, they're a bitch to find! Buy extras.

T Bone

Reaction score
Fender 351 (the "triangle" you mentioned) in thin for most of my life. Occasionally in the past, medium, but like you I found them too thick (a Fender "medium thin" in between would really be something I'd try).

And like you, I've experimented a bit and currently have Tortex in .60 and am using them. But I plan to go back to the Fender Thins when I use them up. Tried some Ultex too, didn't care much for them (and they are hard to find when dropped!).

planks

Reaction score
At the moment i use a Reb Beach Signature pick that he was kind enough to throw in my face when Whitesnake played here last year. It's a nice one, but i also use white Sharkfins and the Fender Mediums, good grip and string attack imop.

1959lespaul

Reaction score
i use dunlop ultex sharps... they look like snot, but i love the way they play.. and they have a sharper point, so they are similar to the triangles in that respect. the thinnest you can get is .73 i think.. they are pretty light and smooth. i switched to these after using tortex for years...
+1 on this, you should try these, i like the sharps alot too, though i use 1.00, but they come thinner.

1959lespaul

Reaction score
Another +1 for the Ultex. I like the .73's as well, but they do make them in .60... too flimsy for me though. 1.0's I use from time to time.

I wish they made them in a teardrop though.... I found a couple of Dunlop yellow picks in .73 that I love the shape of... I just wish they were Ultex material.

Oh, the one big downpoint to Ultex? If you drop them, they're a bitch to find! Buy extras.
+1!!! on the downside lol:laugh2:

Lester

Reaction score
OK... Seems like the Ultex is popular. I'll grab some of those today and give them a whirl.

If that doesn't work out, I'll take some Fender Mediums and try a couple runs against the 'ol wet/dry sand paper to bring them down a notch :)

Latest Threads