Sealer question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Theotherone, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:38 AM.

1. Theotherone

Theotherone Junior Member

Was curious everyone's opinion on behlen vinyl sealer vs behlen "jet spray" lacquer sanding sealer? I will be using behlen stringed instrument lacquer for my top coat. I just noticed I purchased the sanding sealer instead of the vinyl sealer by mistake. I'm pretty sure either is compatible with my top coat but I want to double check. Should I order a can of the vinyl sealer and keep the sanding sealer on standby for another project or will the sanding sealer serve the purpose?

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I don't like vinyl sealer. I would use the sanding sealer but don't spray too many coats of it. 2 coats is good, 3 max.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I just did an instrument with the vinyl sealer and I didn't like the way it built or sanded. It worked fine, but I prefer a good lacquer sanding sealer. They tend to sand better dry, which is important to me.

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have just been using the Behlen Qualalaq sealer. Seems to go on really well, and build quickly even with crappy almost useless grainfill underneath.

5. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I got a really light and grainy swamp ash tele body once. Finish blue metal flake. Sealer and filler .... I used CA.

Other than the stink it went on , sanded , filled and sealed just fine. The blue flake was lacquer with clearcoat. Zero issues.