SD's Whole Lotta Humbuckers

Dave M

Reaction score
Ed... I mean... with all the Duncan p'ups you've had in your hands, how in earth you can give such a WRONG info?

As most American made p'ups, the polepiece spread is 49.2mm and yes, a Throbak cover will snugly fit.

Only asian-made humbucker p'ups will have the 50mm polepiece spread.

HTH,

Just to throw a curveball in this, ...
Suhr pickups are advertised as 50mm spacing. AFAIK, they are still made in Lake Elsinore, unless something changed.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
Just to throw a curveball in this, ...
Suhr pickups are advertised as 50mm spacing. AFAIK, they are still made in Lake Elsinore, unless something changed.

yeah he uses 50MM or standard and 53MM for tremspaced.
I wish they all would except for pu's like THROBAK's and others that are true faithful PAF replica's

drew365

Reaction score
I raised the pup height of the WLH's way up compared to the Banamassa's in my other guitar. Now they sound pretty good. Not nearly as trebly and thin. I still like the Bonamassa's just a bit better, but I didn't want the exact same sound, so the WLH's are a good alternate. I'll be keeping these. Thanks for the help.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I have found they tend to be sensitive to height adjustment. They are great all around bang for the buck pickups. I have thought about ordering an unpotted set.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
I have found they tend to be sensitive to height adjustment. They are great all around bang for the buck pickups. I have thought about ordering an unpotted set.

IF you do can you PM me and tell me your findings?
I was very curious of how much better a unpotted WLH would sound?
I love them potted so unpotted would probably be very "boutique" sounding
if you know what i mean?:thumb:

tonaholic

Reaction score
IF you do can you PM me and tell me your findings?
I was very curious of how much better a unpotted WLH would sound?
I love them potted so unpotted would probably be very "boutique" sounding
if you know what i mean?:thumb:

FYI you can get them unpotted for the same price. It's a "shop floor custom". You can find dealers who do it online or on Duncan's forms.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
FYI you can get them unpotted for the same price. It's a "shop floor custom". You can find dealers who do it online or on Duncan's forms.

there is a ebay seller named banjomikez i know of that will probably stock those.

indeedido

Reaction score

Same here. I really like the flavor of them with 50s wiring. Much more versatile than modern. I have two custom shop that MJ made for me and they are fantastic.

jab996

Reaction score
I have the SH-18's in my 2008 Traditional. I play through a Marshall 2266c.
I swapped out the stock 57's for the Whole Lotta Humbuckers and I'm enjoying them.
Some very nice tones in the middle switch position.
Nice string separation, definition and clarity with thicker sounding highs and tighter bass response with some very nice mid frequencies .
I'll be keeping these pickups for sure, but I am interested in how they compare to the Seth Lovers.

afranke

Reaction score
I just put one of these in the bridge of my strat and im very impressed.sounds big with good string separation. even hi gain on my 5153 sounds awesome..
im going to put this in my les paul and see what happens.

afranke

Reaction score
regarding my whole lotta humbucker,,,anyone have any experience removing the Duncan name from the bobbin without harming it??

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
Polishing compound, micro fiber cloth, and a bit of elbow grease has worked for me. No name plus it will be nice and shiny!

AJK1

Reaction score
The key to these pickups is the rough sand cast A5 magnet
Fattens up the sound, but they are still low output, also nicely balanced to make the high E and B louder, nice pickups indeed !

darthphineas

Reaction score
regarding my whole lotta humbucker,,,anyone have any experience removing the Duncan name from the bobbin without harming it??

Mothers Aluminum and Chrome Polish. Use a q-tip. Be patient.

when I would still buy that brand, I would just order them without the logo.

Latest Threads