SD Seth Lovers vs Gibson 57s ??

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for my learned colleagues-

Will there be a NOTICEABLE difference between my stock Gibson 57 Classics and a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers???

They will be in a 2019 standard.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your call. Personally I seem to like the 57's more in these comparisons

Thanks that helped alot , similar enough that I'll probably keep the 57s in. Not enough difference to swap. I'll try the Seth Lovers in something else.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Better if you tell us what you like and don't like about the '57 Classics. Then, we could make a suitable recommendation, rather than sticking to only two options.

AJK1

Reaction score
Demos to me sound nothing like the pickups do in real life
I’ve had both and I much prefer the Seths as they are Unpotted and have a really nice clear tone
57’s sound common and muddy and lack definition

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah all good advice, appreciated. It's not that I "dont" like the 57s, I do in general. I have a new set of Seth's laying around and was more curious if I would notice a difference in mids, and maybe get more of that "honk" for lack of better terms.

And yeah listening to sound samples through a phone is largely useless, I understand that.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just try them.

In your guitar, your rig, gear, your hands, your style, etc. we could just speculate all day and never scratch the surface of the actual experience of you hearing and playing them.

Yes, I'd confidently expect they would sound very noticeably different in a neutral and clear guitar and a neutral and clear rig with a wide frequency response and headroom.

"Better" or "worse" would be very hard to quantify, as neither is a remarkable improvement in anything over the other to all listeners/players, although they are distinctly different sounding.

Go give it a spin and let us know how it works out for you in your gear!

KStopper65

Reaction score
Just try them.

In your guitar, your rig, gear, your hands, your style, etc. we could just speculate all day and never scratch the surface of the actual experience of you hearing and playing them.

Yes, I'd confidently expect they would sound very noticeably different in a neutral and clear guitar and a neutral and clear rig with a wide frequency response and headroom.

"Better" or "worse" would be very hard to quantify, as neither is a remarkable improvement in anything over the other to all listeners/players, although they are distinctly different sounding.

Go give it a spin and let us know how it works out for you in your gear!
This. You already have them anyways.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all , always good advice here.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I don't think there is a huge difference between those two particular makes…Gibson '57 and Seymour Duncan Seths. As Cooljuk stated, much depends on what guitar they will be mounted in and which music style you usually play. Seth Lover pickups are adaptable to different guitars that don't have the Gibson logo on the headstock, but I don't think the same can be said quite so much for the ‘57 Classics. I'd call both models of pickup versatile for more than one style of music. A pretty advanced player could make both type work in more than one style.

If you have to narrow it down to one particular pickup pair, I'd start with the Seths and live with them for awhile.

Note: As an aside, I have two Lesters. One has Seth Lovers and the other Gibson Burstbuckers I and II. My ears hear no great tone difference between the two even though one Lester is weight-relieved and the other non-weight relieve.

Classicplayer

DBDM

Reaction score
My simple answer would be "no". It would be a subtle difference.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a 2019 Standard have Burstbucker Pro's??

At any rate I think there would be a noticeable difference in the clean sound simply because the Seth's are not potted and 57 Classics are.

rogue3

Reaction score
I find comparisons difficult. In this case, both pickups have good reputations.

So,just the Seth's ,because i have one(89 Standard) guitar loaded with them.It has not been a regular player the last few years,because i have been so Tele focused.And when i do hit a lester...it's usually one with boutique paf's.

I picked it up recently. The seth's are better than i remembered. The seth's are thick sounding,and strong.Plus they have...detail on the high end and low end.fwiw.

I have an R8 with BB's 1 and 2. Good pickups,but my gut tells me Seths would be better in that guitar.Will do when i get the time because i have 2 unused pairs in the parts bin,purchased way back in 2004.

Angelus

Reaction score
You have to try to know but... Seth lovers are more clear and articulate, especially on clean sounds, 57 are a bit muddy to my ears. I definitly prefer the duncans. The youtube videos never sound the same on real life to my mind.
But as I said, you have to try to know.

DBDM

Reaction score
My favorite humbucking pickups I have ever owned were Seymour Duncan Antiquities. My current LPs have Burstbuckers (1 and 2 in one, 2 and 3 in the other). I have not upgraded those because antiquities are not much different (to my ear, with my style, through my rigs). If doing a lot of recording in the studio through very sensitive equipment, maybe. In my bedroom or on a stage, I would be very shocked if many have an ear that good! Spend that effort on setup and pickup height and dialing in your tones on your rig and I predict you get infinitely more bang from the buck!

Edit--I wonder how many people adjust the pole pieces on those pickups. Know why they are screws? Raise and lower the pickups till you get the sound you want then adjust the individual pole pieces. It is likely the single easiest adjustment on a guitar. If you are inexperienced with the adjustments, simply make small adjustments (1/2 turn at a time). Write down what you have done and you can easily put it back the way you started). There is almost nothing to lose. (we are just talking about screws here) Remember that pickup design is not THAT complicated. There is plastic bobbins, copper wire, and magnets. Obviously, slight variations in the wires and magnets can make a difference but considering quality manufacturers, shooting for a design that has been copied since 1957--there are only very subtle differences. At some point, pickups made to mimic PAFs are very, very similar. But one dude in guitar center or previous owner (or anywhere between the manufacturers bench and your hands) could turn those screws and change the tones. I think most are relying on luck of the draw when they really just need 20 min and a screwdriver. When I read xxx brand (of premium pickup) is too thin or yyy is too dark, I always think--"likely just needs a setup".

Last edited:

Hecubus

Reaction score
Yes, YOU will notice a difference in YOUR guitar. Others may not.

ARandall

Reaction score
I do sometimes worry about the reasoning behind threads like this, where the OP already owns both sets.
Is it personal validation that is in doubt here, because quite frankly the time wasted making the post and waiting for replies is far greater than just swapping them out and doing the comparisons without delay.
And given the questions are never to do with our likes or ears, the final judgement will always be in the OP's sole domain.

jbash

Reaction score
I do sometimes worry about the reasoning behind threads like this, where the OP already owns both sets.
Is it personal validation that is in doubt here, because quite frankly the time wasted making the post and waiting for replies is far greater than just swapping them out and doing the comparisons without delay.
And given the questions are never to do with our likes or ears, the final judgement will always be in the OP's sole domain.

emphasis mine

Cannot say I worry....but I certainly do wonder.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

I've had rounds of emails over the course of months, where customers offered to send me their pickups, paying over $100/hour for my time, and being with out them for at least weeks, just so I could analyze them with tools or my ears and better speculate what they might sound like in another guitar - a guitar they already own!

I don't get it, either.

Even if you don't solder, and don't care to learn, someone else near you does and, if your spending time and money anyway, you might as well get it done quick and KNOW what they will sound like in your hands, guitar, rig, room, etc.

"...well, the guitar weighs 8.243lbs and has a Murphy aged finish so, do you think they will be warmer or brighter than in my 8.87lb Gibson USA?" and such.

Folks - just TRY it and KNOW for absolute certain!

(not particularly directed at the OP, btw. This is pretty common)

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Another similar story. I had one guy on the Duncan forum that was wondering what the tonal difference between 2 pickup sets was (both PAF style, say the 59 vs Seth Lover) - but he had them both installed on guitars he owned so he could do the back to back in real time. Granted he was looking for the best set for a 335 and he had them both in solid guitars....but come on.....a little creative and lateral thinking. Its not like a 335 is suddenly going to make a PAF sound like a Duncan Distortion.
He was so wrapped up in his narrative and how it had to be the right way to do things that he blocked me. :dunno: :facepalm:
At that point you realise you simply can't fix stupid and have to move along - but that's an extreme case of stubbornness.

Latest Threads