SD Pickups Platinum PAF Sets Video Release Party!

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations. Finally, after probably 100 hours I have my Platinum PAF full video finished! The video is somewhat longish but demonstrates Set One and Set Two. There is a short history of the PAF story, some myths busted, some pretty girls, and at the end some high gain "heavy" type sound clips for you shredders, so there is some information that is highly useful in navigating through this subject.

http://sdpickups.com/video/sd-platinum.mov

The short of it is the Platinum sets are as authentic true PAF construction as I am able to make at this time, the hard work and research paid off in harmonically rich, fun to play pickups that aren't like anybody else's. Well, except maybe Jimmy Page :) Set One is an open, chimey, maybe jazzy type set, Set Two is more rock/shred oriented, you be the judge.

You will need broadband to view the video, the intro price of $380 is valid until the ad hits Vintage Guitar Magazine next month then the price will be $400 for the set. Understand that the reason for the price and the tone is the hand made steel parts of correct vintage American alloys. Your average pickup maker can't buy these parts anywhere, they have to be custom made and you have to know what steels to use. It takes alot of hours to make these sets but around here at the jam, my demo guitars with both sets are in constant demand. Any questions just email me from the website with "pickups" in the subject line or [email protected]
Dave Stephens

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations. Finally, after probably 100 hours I have my Platinum PAF full video finished! The video is somewhat longish but demonstrates Set One and Set Two. There is a short history of the PAF story, some myths busted, some pretty girls, and at the end some high gain "heavy" type sound clips for you shredders, so there is some information that is highly useful in navigating through this subject.

http://sdpickups.com/video/sd-platinum.mov

The short of it is the Platinum sets are as authentic true PAF construction as I am able to make at this time, the hard work and research paid off in harmonically rich, fun to play pickups that aren't like anybody else's. Well, except maybe Jimmy Page :) Set One is an open, chimey, maybe jazzy type set, Set Two is more rock/shred oriented, you be the judge.

You will need broadband to view the video, the intro price of $380 is valid until the ad hits Vintage Guitar Magazine next month then the price will be $400 for the set. Understand that the reason for the price and the tone is the hand made steel parts of correct vintage American alloys. Your average pickup maker can't buy these parts anywhere, they have to be custom made and you have to know what steels to use. It takes alot of hours to make these sets but around here at the jam, my demo guitars with both sets are in constant demand. Any questions just email me from the website with "pickups" in the subject line or [email protected]
Dave Stephens
man it's a bummer i don't have a headset with me right now so i could here the audio of the vid :mad: i will definitely check it out though :thumb:

what significance does it make being a PAF pickup? what does a Patent Applied For mean? :D

Kevin Taylor

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

nice promotional video. Those Platinum PAFs are soundin' good.

What software did you use to create the video?

Keep up the great work!!!

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm back, well you should try to watch the video there is a history lesson on what a PAF is. Its not just a sales video. PAFs were the classic rock sound of Jimmy Page, Mike Bloomfield, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman and more. They have a distinct almost P90 single coil kind of bite and clarity thats impossible to get by using Asian pre-made bucker parts. I've been killing myself for five years trying to find out why they sound that way, these are the result of that research. Really its the same information that Tom Holmes, Rolph and those type guys already know; I figured it out and made my own versions. Unfortunately you see alot of ebay pickup makers claiming they make the real deal PAF clones but they are all using StewMac humbucker kits which are just WRONG for that kind of tone, PAF is an overused term that covers everything from total junk Korean cheap trash to the real deal itself which these days is approaching $10,000 for a set. Unfortunately you may spend a huge amount of money for a real set and only find you got some that sound like mud, not all of them were good and most weren't.

I'm a Mac user and have been for a very long time, I do all my album design work for Shrapnel Records on the Mac (read my bio on my site) so I used iMovie. Its version 5, the newest one they mysteriously removed alot of cool features, whats up with that? I'll tell you, making a video like that probably took 100 hours or more, the graphics and photography took alot of that time, it was fun but exhausting.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is the best promo video I think I've seen yet.
So why only three comments?
Maybe it's upsetting the competition Dave!

Kramble

Reaction score
Great video indeed ! who wouldn't trust a model like this :applause:?
You rock man :thumb:

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's cool to see such dedication to one's art. Huzzah to you, sir.

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Question-I have noticed that alot of viewers are only watching part one and not watching the actual pickup demos, is it real obvious that this thing is in two parts? If not I need to do something to fix that :) thanks for the kind comments too.....

Vtwin

Reaction score
I thought it was obvious that there was two parts on Youtube. The second part was listed on the side scroll, and readily visible.

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I watched both parts separately since I was interupted by the phone so it may look like someone just watching one part - I dont' know. Great video and great choice of backing music too. Something there for everyone.

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for the replies. The first backing track is me playing to a jam track on my Dirty Harry pickups in an Ibanez archtop, the pickups are out of phase also. Then there's Green Onions of course, the midnite blues tune on the shop tour is Goree Carter, a little known artist who's idol was T-Bone Walker, so he copied alot of his licks etc. but had a nice thing of his own going, I had to order the CD from France, no one over here knows much about him.

Latest Threads