SD antiquity Texas Hot

Heppe

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about the Seymour Duncan antiquity Texas Hot?

I have Fender Fat 50’s in my Strat today which sound fine but I am curious about the Texas Hot.

How would they compare?

ARandall

Reaction score
I went the other way. I had both sets of Antiquities then went to Fat 50's. What I found was that the fat 50's gave me more of that authentic fender cluck, especially in the notch positions. The Ants (and the TH were a bit thicker than the Surfers) were more on the 'full and fat' side with not enough of the sparkle I was looking for. I ended up selling off both my Ant sets after hearing the fat 50's.

Shai`tan

Reaction score
I just had a set of the Antiquity Texas Hots put in. Hope they are at least decent. It`s a tad worrying when there are hardly any reviews. And not 1 review I`ve seen so far anyways shows the Reviewer playing Cleans. Aaaah well. Fingers crossed.

Antigua

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about the Seymour Duncan antiquity Texas Hot?

I have Fender Fat 50’s in my Strat today which sound fine but I am curious about the Texas Hot.

How would they compare?
Fat 50's are pretty close to vintage spec, with AlNiCo 5, but Antiquity Texas Hots sort of ironically are further from vintage. The magnets are AlNiCo 2, and the bridge pickup is wound hotter, more like a Tele bridge pickup. The inductance of the fact 50's is around 2.5H, but the Antiquity Texas Hots are 3.9H, 2.9H and 2.9H, bridge middle neck, so they're darker and duller sounding. Typical vintage style Strat pickups range from 2.1H to 2.5H, so the Fat 50's are barely "fat", they're more or less vintage spec.

I had the Texas Antiquity Hots in a Strat for about a year, but finally took them out. I gave them a long trial run because they looked cool and they had cost a lot. I think the Ant II Surfer set is better, it's AlNiCo 5 poled and lower inductance.

rich85

Reaction score
I really don’t think the SSL1 or Fat 50’s can be beat in a Strat. The best thing you can do from there is an EQ pedal to get rid of boomy neck pickup sounds. Or add or take out a bit of mids and high end. Seymour Duncan really up the marketing and packaging gimmicks with the Antiquity series but I am yet to play a guitar with them that justifies the cost.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said about the Texas Hots. I prefer Strat pickups with a good amount of sparkle and bite. I just found the Texas Hots to be too lacking in articulation and treble for my taste. Swapped them for a set of Fender Pure Vintage 65s and are much happier.

Heppe

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, might just have dodged an expensive bullet there given the info you provide above.

rich85

Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said about the Texas Hots. I prefer Strat pickups with a good amount of sparkle and bite. I just found the Texas Hots to be too lacking in articulation and treble for my taste. Swapped them for a set of Fender Pure Vintage 65s and are much happier.
I have 1 Strat with SSL1 and another Strat with the 65 set. I really can’t believe how good the 65 set is for the price. Even though I prefer the SSL1 as a player, the 65 set has so much smooth midrange and top end chime it is basically relaxing to listen to while you play.

Latest Threads