Screws affect your "tone" more than most things

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Just for that... I'm going to build a guitar with no fasteners or glue... Nothing but press fitting and oiled dovetail joints.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tone clips .... Or it didn't happen ....

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dang, that's incredible---what kinda screws would work to get 'SlashTone'., Titanium, Lead or wood screws??:wow::wow::wow::laugh2::laugh2:
Lead is good for heavy metal, because obviously, it's darker and heavier. For jazz, when you want a warm woody tone, you use wood. For "slash" just sharpen all the corners and start swinging wildly at anyone within range.

MeKevin

Reaction score
If 6 screws make any effect, we should be able to test this by covering the pickup in screws. Maybe 30 of them and see if it sounds different. If the humbucker were covered, it might make an effect. I bet I could line them up around the outside, by the tape, and there is no difference.

Anyway, thread got me thinking. Tomorow I might see if I can actually fluctuate the magnetic field with a magnet on the other side of the strings. Just hold a spare humbucker there and see what happens. I wonder what would happen if you had both of these hypothetical humbuckers wired, one on each side of the stings with them attracting or repelling each other.

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
may as well super glue all screw areas to prevent such a travesty:laugh2:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"Swap your ferrous screws for high-quaility non-magnetic stainless steel, and swap the springs for compressed surgical hose. The magnetic field WILL be affected, and the dampening properties of the spring WILL be affected."

Take a good lenght of surgical hose.
Hang yourself.
How's the tone now?
Heh heh. Steel, like ummm stainless steel, is ferrous AND magnetic.

copperheadroad

Reaction score
Heh heh. Steel, like ummm stainless steel, is ferrous AND magnetic.
Most stainless steels are not magnetic or have very little magnetism ,like screws & most of the stainless found in fabrication/welding shops
one of the Magnetic stainless steels are 440 & similar numbers that's used in knife blades ...You must of seen "440 stainless written on a blade"

MeKevin

Reaction score
I use tempered Alnico 5 screws for my std faded and my trad pro is pretty bright, so I use Alnico 2.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hold on, help me with my prototype design.
What if a second set of strings was to go from the tailpiece through a 'tunnel' (thanks for chambered guitars Henry!) inside the body under the pickups all the way to the mighty tenon! That would create an environment subject to a magnetic field that would vibrate the inside strings creating harmonics favorable to playing Smoke on the Water or whatever the fvck you want to smoke on! Holy good shit! I got something here. Screw the Less Pout! I have the future of guitar in my brain!!!

River

Reaction score
Who, the people for whom you made this thread will ignore it, just as sure as God made Crocodiles.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
I can't tell if you're serious or not, I mean I know this is massive bullshit. If you're serious though, wow...

The Archer

Reaction score
I find that the screw material isnt as important as the angle in which you place the Trilithium in the Flux capacitor.

old mark

Reaction score
Lead is good for heavy metal, because obviously, it's darker and heavier. For jazz, when you want a warm woody tone, you use wood. For "slash" just sharpen all the corners and start swinging wildly at anyone within range.
Dude, that's why they call it an AXE!!!:dude:

mark

Latest Threads