Screws affect your "tone" more than most things

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
In a joking reference, I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll mention it here....

Science and common sense will tell us that most important things that affect the sound a guitar makes are the pickups and the amp. Everything else is minor or made-up (fretbaord material, fretwire choice, tenon joint, number of pieces in the body, volutes, etc.).

The strings vibrate. The vibration affects the magnetic field in a coil. That coil is suspended from your pickup cover by a pair of screws, and stabilized by a pair of springs (usually). If these screws and springs are ferrous, they will affect the magnetice field, also.

Depending on the properties of the springs, they will affect vibrations and how the magnetic pull of the pickup affects the strings.

So far, if you're still reading, you're thinking "Sounds like B.S. to me!". I will agree.

Anyone who would actually worry about the screws and springs is a whack-job. Yet I absolutley guarantee that these two items affect the sound that comes out of the amp. Swap your ferrous screws for high-quaility non-magnetic stainless steel, and swap the springs for compressed surgical hose. The magnetic field WILL be affected, and the dampening properties of the spring WILL be affected.

Enough to matter? No. No way.

But I'll bet it matters more than neck tenons, numbers of pieces of wood, nut material (yeah, I said it. The nut only matters on open strings), or a myriad of other things that get discussed on MLP.

Let the hunt begin for the proper spec screws, and springs that have distressed the way 1959 springs would be today..... :dude:

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does it have an effect? Maybe. Could you tell? Probably not. Is one “better” than the other? Purely subjective.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
"Swap your ferrous screws for high-quaility non-magnetic stainless steel, and swap the springs for compressed surgical hose. The magnetic field WILL be affected, and the dampening properties of the spring WILL be affected."

Take a good lenght of surgical hose.
Hang yourself.
How's the tone now?

chillman

Reaction score
I just replaced a lost pickguard bracket mounting screw on my R8 with a machine screw from Lowe's! Will I still be able to play Smoke On The Water??? :(

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
[...] The strings vibrate. The vibration affects the magnetic field in a coil. That coil is suspended from your pickup cover by a pair of screws, and stabilized by a pair of springs (usually). If these screws and springs are ferrous, they will affect the magnetice field, also.

[...] Let the hunt begin for the proper spec screws, and springs that have distressed the way 1959 springs would be today..... :dude:
Can you quantify the field displacement?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Counter-intuitively, the sping change makes a bigger difference than the screw change. Everyone in the audience can usually tell the difference, especially when I do open-chords (because of the longer effective sting length, of course).
A clear sign that you screwed up.

old mark

Reaction score
Yes. With my super-duper-Eric-Johnson-ears-emulating-tone-o-scope.

With that, I can detect the magnetic differences, and how those differences affect not only the pickup's field, but also how the strings affect the field.

Counter-intuitively, the sping change makes a bigger difference than the screw change. Everyone in the audience can usually tell the difference, especially when I do open-chords (because of the longer effective sting length, of course).

:lol:

:laugh2:
Well, that should be pretty obvious to anyone..That's one reason I replace all my steel screws with brass screws, to mellow out the tone...sounds more woody...or brassy...or whatever.

I WILL sell the first select few hundred responders a complete set of brass screws for Gibson solid body guitars for the near-giveaway price of $49.99...(This special price is only avaiiable to members of this forum)...
:dude:

I won't mention :slash: a certain FAMOUS PLAYER :slash: who uses this screw kit on all his recording guitars:slash:

PM me with the words "SCREW ME"...and $49.99, =+ $30 processing and handling...

(Please don't tell people from other forums about this special deal...Supply is limited,at least till I get to Home Depot again...)

mark

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Well, that should be pretty obvious to anyone..That's one reason I replace all my steel screws with brass screws, to mellow out the tone...sounds more woody...or brassy...or whatever.

I WILL sell the first select few hundred responders a complete set of brass screws for Gibson solid body guitars for the near-giveaway price of $49.99...(This special price is only avaiiable to members of this forum)...
:dude:

I won't mention :slash: a certain FAMOUS PLAYER :slash: who uses this screw kit on all his recording guitars:slash:

PM me with the words "SCREW ME"...and $49.99, =+ $30 processing and handling...

(Please don't tell people from other forums about this special deal...Supply is limited,at least till I get to Home Depot again...)

mark
Awesome!
1-800-SCREWME

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
dang, that's incredible---what kinda screws would work to get 'SlashTone'., Titanium, Lead or wood screws??:wow::wow::wow::laugh2::laugh2:

axepilot

Reaction score
All of my pickup ring and cavity screws are a special alloy of titanium and thorium cobalt G.................I get them from a friend of a friend in eastern Europe...............

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"swap your ferrous screws for high-quaility non-magnetic stainless steel, and swap the springs for compressed surgical hose. The magnetic field will be affected, and the dampening properties of the spring will be affected."

take a good lenght of surgical hose.
hang yourself.
how's the tone now?
roflmao.

Latest Threads