Screwless Pick Guard for 2018 Standard?

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Hi All,

I did some searching and there were a bunch of posts about Bobby's screwless pick guard quite a few years ago but it seems they are no longer on the market. There was one post in 2017 from someone also looking to buy a screwless pick guard but it went unresolved.

I planned to simply drill the holes and mount the PG because, even though i like the asymm neck and compound radius fretboard of the standard, I like the traditional look of the PG and the poker chip. However, when it comes down to it -- i'm still in the market for a used 90s or 00s custom and, until i play one and decide whether or not to sell this 2018 standard and replace it with a used custom... I'd like to keep this 2018 standard un-drilled to retain its resale value.

I was wondering if anyone has a source for one?

Or if anyone can recommend some other method to attach the stock pickguard without drilling into the top? I am a pretty handy person and I have a pretty functional wood & metal (mostly wood though) shop in my garage so I can make pretty much any contraption to get this to happen. I've seen people talk about cutting some aluminum strips that go under the PUP rings to be mounted with a flange that the PG can screw into. I might design something like this myself -- but I thought "there must be others like me!"

Or maybe there is a double sided tape or adhesive that will not ruin the finish?

Any advice would be appreciated!

drpietrzak

Reaction score
You can make a set of pickup rings with tabs to attach pickguards to I would think. I used screws but it can be done if you wanted.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
My advice? Hurry up and find that Custom, then decide whether to drill or not.

moreles

Reaction score
Drpietrzxak's suggestion is awfully good. I'm amaze3d that nobody is marketing pickup rings that can secure the pickguard. I don't use a pickguard, but for the many who like one, it would be a godsend.

ACEit

Reaction score
On my trad T I succeed to find an HP pickguard and I mod the rings. I wonder why Gibson doesn't make them available as spare parts. Once I broke the one on my 2016 HP and they wanted picture of the guitar, the COA and the broken one before send me the spare. :eek2:
Now I want to put "historic" taller rings on my guitars but I haven't decided yet if to mod them to accept the HP pickguards or go the "historic" way and screw a standard PG

Latest Threads