Screw size for pickups and rings

Mr French

Reaction score
Evening,

I am currently restoring a project guitar to standard factory spec or at least somewhat. Recently acquired the husk of a 61 Heritage Cherry 2005 SG that only included the plastics with no screws. Already have tuners installed and and Gibson pickups but no screws for mounting or to mount the pickup rings.

Really would appreciate a link or the proper size for this gibson SG if anyone happens to have this knowledge.

ARandall

Reaction score
They've been stock/consistent size since the start of the model. Go to any supplier and simply look for humbucker ring/mounting screws and they'll be fine. Allparts and Philadelphia Luthier tools are fairly commonly used suppliers.

Mr French

Reaction score
They've been stock/consistent size since the start of the model. Go to any supplier and simply look for humbucker ring/mounting screws and they'll be fine. Allparts and Philadelphia Luthier tools are fairly commonly used suppliers.
Yes I've checked those sites, except I am seeing different sizes and non are specific to any guitar.

pshupe

Reaction score
Stew Mac has sizes shown on some of their products. They are generally not the cheapest though.

Capture.JPG

There are two sizes for mounting rings.

Capture.JPG

I'm sure there are places that will sell you vintage correct screws aged as well. I think Tom Bartlett actually sells a screw pack that contains pup ring, control cavity cover, and truss rod screws. As ARandall says I think these ones above would serve your purpose.

Cheers Peter.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I almost always buy my screws from Philadelphia Luthier. The prices are usually better and the shipping is lower unless you have the StewMax membership. They have the pickup height adjustment screws and bags of like 25 screws for the pickguard and backplate. They carry the small truss rod cover screws as well if you need those.

pshupe

Reaction score
I almost always buy my screws from Philadelphia Luthier. The prices are usually better and the shipping is lower unless you have the StewMax membership. They have the pickup height adjustment screws and bags of like 25 screws for the pickguard and backplate. They carry the small truss rod cover screws as well if you need those.
I always check Stew Mac first for the size. Then check Amazon for the same size. You can get 50 packs for the same price as 10 screws from Stew Mac. Always pre-drill with just enough friction to hold the object in tight. The cheap screws, and even the ones from Stew Mac, will twist off easy especially in a hard wood like maple.

Cheers Peter.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I always check Stew Mac first for the size. Then check Amazon for the same size. You can get 50 packs for the same price as 10 screws from Stew Mac. Always pre-drill with just enough friction to hold the object in tight. The cheap screws, and even the ones from Stew Mac, will twist off easy especially in a hard wood like maple.

Cheers Peter.
I assumed his was drilled already since it's a 2005. I've never had an issure replacing screws on an already built guitar. On my Tokai that had no screw holes I pre-drilled everything and even tapped for the bridge posts though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
So far every Gibson pickup that I've seen (as well as Seymour Duncan and nearly all of the boutique winders) use the 3-48 pickup height adjustment screws. Many places do sell them.

When you get to the metric guitars though, things can get "screwy". Usually Epiphone and other Chinese made ones use M3 screws. MIJ guitars though can use M2.5, M2.6 or M2.7 and that is a pain. Hard to find here unless you find some on Amazon in another country and wait 2 or 3 months for them to show up. I started bringing them home from Japan with guitars and stockpiling them.

Mr French

Reaction score

Cheers Peter.
Very true to use Amazon but the biggest thing I'm finding are lot of these companies will not specify to the application and or full spec of size. They will list 1 or the other or even just a partial description.

Latest Threads