Scratchy Fretboard on new LP

forty6and2sdmf

Reaction score
Hello! Just got my 2019 Standard 60’s from Reverb and the fretboard is pretty scratchy/textured. Can really notice when doing vibrato. Is this a common thing or will it go away with time? Any recommendations?

Roxy13

Reaction score
My 2014 Traditional was like that. IMO some of the Gibson fbs aren't sanded well enough.

jkes01

Reaction score
Are you referring to the frets feeling rough or the actual wood on the fretboard?

Frets could need polished or the fretboard itself could need sanding. I’ve also seen some grain runout on the fretboards that make it feel rough. Either way, sanding through gradually finer grits of sandpaper to polish.

It is a pain to do, but well worth the effort if it truly bothers you.

jkes01

Reaction score
I thought they were originally from the Plek :dunno:

My guitar was supposedly a toured guitar. It also has ruts in the pickup bobbins, so it could be from the strings.

I scraped with a fresh utility blade and sanded 400 though 2k. It’s a lot of work and you could make a mess of things really quickly if care is not taken.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, mine was very dry when it was new.
Looked and felt dry. It oiled up nicely, now it's just a once-a-year treatment.

uncajoey

Reaction score
I toured the Memphis factory in ‘06, and was appalled at the quality of workmanship on the 335s coming out of that facility. The fretboards were all dry and rough, you could really feel the scratch under your fingers. Conversely, the Epiphone dot I played, made in Japan, was flawless, and a far superior instrument for half the money. The Custom Shop model, then made in Nashville, was also super nice.

Gibson can and does do wonderful finish work on the bodies, but their choice of rosewood, and lack of attention to detail in finishing can be troubling.

jodybriggs

Reaction score
I got a new junior tribute a few months ago. the fretboard and fret dressing was shocking.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
In 25 years I've never experienced a fretboard that wasn't silky in feel from Gibson. The tooling marks are pretty common though and I've never owned any that affected playability but of course that's only the ones I've owned. I have some Asian guitars with frets that needed some work that caused that scratchy feel when bending notes.

afireinside

Reaction score
I bought a used/unplayed '14 traditional and when i got it i immediately noticed a rough/raised grain feel on the rosewood. I just took my fret polishing pads and used a few grits now its glassy and takes oil better/darker.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve bladed some boards to take the hair off and even out an inlay edge....

As far as glassing frets, I highly recommend:
1. Fret eraser assortment of grit. (I turn em sideways and go across, quick clean/slick multiple frets)
2. Micro mesh pads. (Great quick buff string changes)
3. 3M Synthetic 0000 Steel Wool. (White, Kinda scrub pad looking, no metal residue, ain’t metal)

Keep your frets glassed and you may not notice your board at all.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I never thought about the fretboard of my Gibson until I had an ESP Eclipse made in Japan. Man, that ebony fretboard is smoother than a baby's cheek. After that I went on a quest to make my LP feel smoother.

I tried different oils, but what eventually worked was to lightly sand the fretboard. So I taped the frets and did it. Soooo much better. I didn't use aggressive pads... I wanna say I started with 1200 grit and up.

lordraptor1

Reaction score
Hello! Just got my 2019 Standard 60’s from Reverb and the fretboard is pretty scratchy/textured. Can really notice when doing vibrato. Is this a common thing or will it go away with time? Any recommendations?
that is why you dont use reverb, lots of junk. of course i will also point out that reverb tracks ip adresses. i worked in a music store once and my boss used my laptop to access reverb ( i allowed him to use my laptop as i didnt see any harm in it) well point is he had a dispute on him from a guitar he sold where the buyer claimed it was beat up ( i know for a fact it was NOT as I packed it and made multiple photographs of the instrument prior to boxing it up). well the issue was never resolved and my account was banned and when i contacted reverb i was told they had my laptop associated with my former bosses account. well to this day i do NOT recommend ANYONE use reverb because it is unsafe platform to do business with them tracking your home computer hardware ip adresses.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Good to know your Paul is all better!
From the one picture, the upper side has a gorgeous cherry-burst. Can we get a look at the whole patient?

Latest Threads