Scratched an old itch this weekend

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Always had a hankering to try one.
Managed to do some horse trading with a guy I’ve worked with several times and ended up loading up some B-Teamers and swapping for this. After 2 dates, she’s looking like she’s gonna be an A-Teamer. Really like her.

‘97 Ric 330

89F73ABD-3ED7-4730-857B-33A6021B8DFE.jpeg

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
I gig a 335 regularly.
I have small hands and like a small neck...mostly.
I don't play any Tom Petty or jangle music.
Mine is a Blues/Rock ANIMAL. Great cranked Blues sounds.
I just gigged it last weekend and am so thrilled with how it sounds.
I did a pickup Blues gig awhile ago and, after the first set, the bass player said, "I gotta admit...I saw you take that thing out of the case, and I thought...What the hell is he going to do with THAT thing?" Then he was shocked at how killer it sounded.
Even the guy I got it from (traded him an ES330) was confused, because he knew what I do.
After a couple minutes, he said, "Holy crap! You're getting every sound you need out of that thing!"
It also does such an amazing Chuck Berry, it's hard to believe he wasn't using one.
Oh, yeah...I did commit total Rick sacrelige...I had to go with medium-jumbo frets. Those liddo mandolin frets just didn't do it.
Congrats...
Keep us posted with impressions and if the honeymoon ends...
001.JPG

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I'm freaking out at the tones I'm getting. Beautiful. I can't keep my finger off the blend knob. Just keep finding stuff.

.....and besides the tones, it's how cool you look wearing it! :thumb:
The controls are a little tough for me, actually.
I like the neanderthal approach...one volume, one tone...so even s stock Gibson seems a bit fiddly to me.
There is no denying, though...there are great tones in that blend knob...fun to blend in more and more bridge in the course of, say, a slow Blues solo.
And...yeah...as a buddy once said, "Hey...it's a cool guitar and I look cool playin' it...and that's all that matters."

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
That looks glorious! I've never had the chance to play one but I kinda get the feeling I'd love it right away.

Congrats!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
OMG...i think you bought the ricky i sold last year at the orlando git show.sold it to a guy from somewhere in the midwest who owned a shop.
That would seem unlikely to me, but you never know! It came with the book, key and a yellow parts order sheet, if that narrows it down any.
6AB1561C-4CD9-48DF-A313-6B7A2FD021A3.jpeg

Reactions: Who

MooCheng

Reaction score
beautiful Ric you found there Pop,

my luthier had the back off one in for repair so I had the opportunity to look inside. Rickenbacker sure build their guitars in an unusual way. The neck appears to be set from behind, the front and sides being the main body and the back sort of like being the cap. Wonder if this is part of what gives Ricky's their unique voice.

congrats Pop, enjoy for years to come

redcoats1976

Reaction score
That would seem unlikely to me, but you never know! It came with the book, key and a yellow parts order sheet, if that narrows it down any.
View attachment 395869
look at the little "feet" on the case bottom when its standing up.if they are in rough shape that might be it.it did have the book,sheet,and key in the case as well as an extra spring and screw for the bridge adjustment when i sold it.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
look at the little "feet" on the case bottom when its standing up.if they are in rough shape that might be it.it did have the book,sheet,and key in the case as well as an extra spring and screw for the bridge adjustment when i sold it.
You’re sorta getting my attention now. The case seems to have more miles on it than the guitar. It has several white marks on it I haven’t attempted to clean up yet. There’s barely a mark on the guitar. I’ll probably replace those foam pup pads, but that’s it.

Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
not it,the feet are in better shape than mine were.a nice looking guitar,hope mine will find a good home as yours did.what are the odds that 2 guitars out of a somewhat limited production would be in such good shape 22 years later,mine was also made in 1997 according to the jack plate.i was going through my guitar junk about half an hour ago and found the screw and spring,i must have forgot to pack it in the case.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think mine's found a pretty good home. Honeymoon doesn't seem to be ending. I'm pretty smitten with it. I was on a Gretsch quest. I think this cured it.

Latest Threads