Scraping binding flush on a neck

ejendres

Reaction score
I'm planning to radius and bind my next fretboard before gluing up. Would a scraper be an effective tool to bring the binding down to match the radius? What thickness card scraper should I pick up? Any tips/tricks for using them?

If you have a better way to suggest let me know.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to radius and bind my next fretboard before gluing up. Would a scraper be an effective tool to bring the binding down to match the radius? What thickness card scraper should I pick up? Any tips/tricks for using them?

If you have a better way to suggest let me know.
If you bind first, then you can radius the whole board, binding and all, with your radius beam

Alternately, you can radius, glue on the binding, and scrape it with a razor blade or scraper.

ejendres

Reaction score
If you bind first, then you can radius the whole board, binding and all, with your radius beam

Alternately, you can radius, glue on the binding, and scrape it with a razor blade or scraper.
What thickness scraper would be good for general purpose use. Peter is cutting the fretboard on his CNC and he is going to radius it. So I won't be able to just use the sanding block.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
What thickness scraper would be good for general purpose use. Peter is cutting the fretboard on his CNC and he is going to radius it. So I won't be able to just use the sanding block.
you can use any thickness of scraper really, as long as its got a good shape edge. You dont want to have to use a lot of pressure. that's a recipe for fucking it up :)

If I was doing it, first I would try and find binding thats only slightly taller than the edge so I wouldnt have to scrape that much. If I had no choice but to use really tall binding I'd probably sand it down till it was only a little taller than the edge using a sanding block and some 80 or 120 that would take it down failt fast (with lots of tape on the fretboard so I didnt ding it up), and then scrape it the rest of the way with a razor blade

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
ejenderes, are you doing this with the frets already in, for binding nibs on the fret ends, or are you installing frets over the binding?

ejendres

Reaction score
ejenderes, are you doing this with the frets already in, for binding nibs on the fret ends, or are you installing frets over the binding?
No fret nibs, I'm putting the frets over binding.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
No fret nibs, I'm putting the frets over binding.
Okay, so you don't have to worry about scraping between them, and you'll be leveling the binding to match the FB before you fret.

I'd follow Chris' advice above. He's got it down pat.

You'll find that binding removes easier than you think.

One can make an edge scraper by taking a dowel and cutting a slot in it to insert a razor blade, a screw through the dowel (above the blade) to tighten and hold the blade, and expose the razor tip to just the binding width (edge thickness), so you don't nick up the fret board. The dowel rides on the flat outside of the binding, the blade scrapes the top edge.

tigger

Reaction score
You can take a Dremel and put a bit in it sharp side in, and then run it over the fretboard. Same with binding nibs. I learned that from preen!

pshupe

Reaction score
I made a little jig to hold the fret board perpendicular and run the pattern bit over the frets. More recently I have been braver and just hold it upright by eye.
IMG_0398.JPG

That get's most of it off then scraper and sandpaper.

Cheers Peter.