scientists invent particles that will help you live without breathing...?!

skingy

~darkburst lover~
Reaction score
this is just strange, but good - i'm sure if/when i get to the point of having a heart attack and my heart stops, i'll be thankful this stuff was injected into my veins. but wow, how far technology has come!

Scientists Invent Particles That Will Let You Live Without Breathing

Scientists Invent Particles That Will Let You Live Without Breathing
Jesus Diaz

This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie: researchers have designed microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate your body, even if you can't breathe anymore. It's one of the best medical breakthroughs in recent years, and one that could save millions of lives every year.

The invention, developed by a team at Boston Children's Hospital, will allow medical teams to keep patients alive and well for 15 to 30 minutes despite major respiratory failure. This is enough time for doctors and emergency personnel to act without risking a heart attack or permanent brain injuries in the patient.

The solution has already been successfully tested on animals under critical lung failure. When the doctors injected this liquid into the patient's veins, it restored oxygen in their blood to near-normal levels, granting them those precious additional minutes of life.

180gROC

Reaction score
People are supposed to die. Every time we figure out a new way for people to not die, the world gets a little more crowded...

Arzachel

Reaction score
People are supposed to die. Every time we figure out a new way for people to not die, the world gets a little more crowded...

the world gets more crowded because of overbreeding not saving some poor sods life

you never been to a doctor then ? :)

Captive Bolt

Reaction score
the world gets more crowded because of overbreeding not saving some poor sods life

Well I came too damn close to the death part 2 years ago and I think I can handle the crowds no problem....So I'll take the hypodermic Please !:D

180gROC

Reaction score

Technically speaking the world gets overcrowded from both. I was speaking quite generally. "People" includes the rich and middle class sods.

Of course I've been to a doctor, although I do have a do not resuscitate order. I don't want to live any longer than I am supposed to.

My wife works in infertility. The people coming to her to get pregnant weren't meant to be pregnant and yet they will be through technology. On the other end, people are living longer than they would have, through technology.

At some point balance is lost. I'm pretty sure we are past that point and not applying any brakes anywhere anytime soon.

Blues4U

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me- I know plenty of people that live long lives without a heart-

lucidspoon

Reaction score
this is just strange, but good - i'm sure if/when i get to the point of having a heart attack and my heart stops, i'll be thankful this stuff was injected into my veins.
I'm pretty sure your heart will still have to be going to pump the newly oxygenated blood... But, they've already solved that issue with Cheney: Cheney Heart Pump in High Demand - ABC News

So, in theory you could have just a head attached to a heart pump that's pumping these particles though...

futurama_nixons_head.png

Engel

Reaction score
I love it. These are the kinds of things I wish I could be a part of.

Arzachel

Reaction score
Technically speaking the world gets overcrowded from both. I was speaking quite generally. "People" includes the rich and middle class sods.

Of course I've been to a doctor, although I do have a do not resuscitate order. I don't want to live any longer than I am supposed to.

My wife works in infertility. The people coming to her to get pregnant weren't meant to be pregnant and yet they will be through technology. On the other end, people are living longer than they would have, through technology.

At some point balance is lost. I'm pretty sure we are past that point and not applying any brakes anywhere anytime soon.

if you've been immunised against anything that argument is flawed :)

nature will sort us out however clever we think we are

skingy

~darkburst lover~
Reaction score

the way i look at it, if it's my time to go - it's my time to go. regardless of who or what technology is present.

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a living will. When the time comes, the plug will be pulled. Hopefully, no f'n plug in the first place. I love life, but my life needs quality. Just hanging the fk in there will not suffice. YMMV and to each his own, however.:)

Ace1432

Reaction score
i hate being human. i hate mortality. if the time ever came, i would be the first in line to become a cyborg.

Latest Threads