School Voucher Epic Fail

Chilli

Reaction score
Of course you don't see many dinosaurs around today, thats cause they're hiding. They're scared, as I single handedly hunted them down and killed them.

When people come to my barby, they rejoice at the delicious Diplodocus t bones I serve up,

Oh yeah... and at christmas, we have a stuffed dodo. (I got all them too, the freezer is full)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
There should be an IQ test for voters too. Everybody should be required to study the US Constitution, the Federalist Papers, the writings of the founders and the history of the SCOTUS and it's major rulings...and they should be required to pass a test proving their knowledge about what's actually in the Constitution and what's not....Before they're allowed to vote for people who make law.

Our system depends on intelligent and informed voters...without them we're doomed.

Who would devise this test? Bobby Jindal? Valarie Hodges? I can just imagine what would be on it. What is the point of studying history if it's going to be completely rewritten and taught alongside absolute biased, bigoted opinion, passed of as absolute truth.

The fact is that these people are not qualified to serve the public because they don't work for or represent the public. But throw in a little anti-science, anti-indian, anti- muslim, anti-Clinton, anti-black, anti-union, anti-women, anti-gay, anti-evolution and anti-reason and it seems like they will be guaranteed another term. It's all about ignorance.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Who would devise this test? Bobby Jindal? Valarie Hodges? I can just imagine what would be on it. What is the point of studying history if it's going to be completely rewritten and taught alongside absolute biased, bigoted opinion, passed of as absolute truth.

The fact is that these people are not qualified to serve the public because they don't work for or represent the public. But throw in a little anti-science, anti-indian, anti- muslim, anti-Clinton, anti-black, anti-union, anti-women, anti-gay, anti-evolution and anti-reason and it seems like they will be guaranteed another term. It's all about ignorance.

Don't forget Catholics, Jews, the Irish, "swarthy people" etc etc etc. It's fear and hatred of The Other, and there will always be some Other.

And they have figured out you don't even have to worry about if the "alternate facts" make any sense, just "teach the controversy".

KSG_Standard

Reaction score

The people vote for who they think best represents them or their needs or who provide them the most entitlements...getting bad politicians or idiots elected is a downside to democracy of any flavor...it's made worse in a society where so many of the voters are almost completely ignorant of the Constitution, it's history, what the framers included and why, what they didn't include and why, what the courts have decided the Constitution means and why, etc., etc., etc.

Where the majority of the represented have no basic knowledge of economic theory, political science, history, science, higher math, legal theory, sociology, etc., and where many voters can't read at a 12th grade level....How can they be assured of electing politicians that are any more informed?

I would imagine that the same people who devise the iq test for politicians could create one for the voters too.:thumb:

HenryHill

Reaction score

This legislation is being passed in scores of states already. The Poll Tax Voter ID bills, 'that prevent voter fraud'. ;)

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Should non-US citizens have a vote in American elections? Should people be allowed to vote more than once, or in elections they're not eligible to vote in? If not, then how do we prevent these things?

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
“I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools,

Ah, yes, because all of our founding fathers were devout Christians...

These "Christian Nation" people fail to realize how many of these Founding Fathers "Christians" they speak for were actually deists.

I know in Washington there are signature collectors to get the Charter school initiative on the ballot this year. I signed to get it on the ballot because the more we get to directly vote on, the better. But if they are proposing sending kids to religious institutions on my tax dollars, I am 100% opposed.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This legislation is being passed in scores of states already. The Poll Tax Voter ID bills, 'that prevent voter fraud'. ;)

Depending on the news source, these bills are contributing to the problem, not solving it.

Sloppy Joe

Reaction score
They mention overhauling the US education system? What's really needed is an overhaul of the US parenting system - one where more parents foster and promote the value of education to their children, provide a learning environment at home, teach kids discipline, support what the schools are trying to accomplish and overall set the proper example. Too many parents see schools and teachers as babysitters.

Seen it firsthand.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Should non-US citizens have a vote in American elections? Should people be allowed to vote more than once, or in elections they're not eligible to vote in? If not, then how do we prevent these things?

Prevent what exactly? They have failed to prove that any of these things have been happening but as long as you keep people outraged over them, real or not, then you can disenfranchise legal voters with public approval behind you.

The New York Times yesterday underscored an important fact that so many legislators have willfully ignored: "There is almost no voter fraud in America." Indeed, The Department of Justice investigated over 300 million votes cast between 2002 and 2007 and found no cases of voter impersonation fraud. In Texas, where Governor Rick Perry used a highly unusual procedural maneuver to accelerate passage of a bill requiring a government-issued photo ID to vote, the state Attorney General found no cases of voter impersonation fraud. Zero.
Nonetheless, under the guise of fighting "voter fraud," legislators instead limited voters' access to democracy. An unprecedented wave of restrictive laws added burdens to virtually every aspect of the voting process in fourteen states. A sampling of such ill-considered measures include:

• Florida: onerous regulations now make voter registration drives virtually impossible;
  • Kansas: voters must show proof of citizenship when registering to vote and then show government-issued photo ID when voting;
  • Maine: Election Day Registration, which had been in place since 1973, has been eliminated;
  • Ohio: voters can no longer cast a ballot on the Sunday before Election Day; and
  • Texas: students' state university-issued IDs are not acceptable for voter identification purposes.
Combined, these suppressive measures disproportionately affect the young, elderly, disabled, low-income, minority, and working voters. Moreover, these regressive laws, especially those requiring government-issued photo ID, are expensive to implement.

Democracy? How does it work?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Prevent what exactly? They have failed to prove that any of these things have been happening but as long as you keep people outraged over them, real or not, then you can disenfranchise legal voters with public approval behind you.

The New York Times yesterday underscored an important fact that so many legislators have willfully ignored: "There is almost no voter fraud in America." Indeed, The Department of Justice investigated over 300 million votes cast between 2002 and 2007 and found no cases of voter impersonation fraud. In Texas, where Governor Rick Perry used a highly unusual procedural maneuver to accelerate passage of a bill requiring a government-issued photo ID to vote, the state Attorney General found no cases of voter impersonation fraud. Zero.
Nonetheless, under the guise of fighting "voter fraud," legislators instead limited voters' access to democracy. An unprecedented wave of restrictive laws added burdens to virtually every aspect of the voting process in fourteen states. A sampling of such ill-considered measures include:

• Florida: onerous regulations now make voter registration drives virtually impossible;
  • Kansas: voters must show proof of citizenship when registering to vote and then show government-issued photo ID when voting;
  • Maine: Election Day Registration, which had been in place since 1973, has been eliminated;
  • Ohio: voters can no longer cast a ballot on the Sunday before Election Day; and
  • Texas: students' state university-issued IDs are not acceptable for voter identification purposes.
Combined, these suppressive measures disproportionately affect the young, elderly, disabled, low-income, minority, and working voters. Moreover, these regressive laws, especially those requiring government-issued photo ID, are expensive to implement.

Democracy? How does it work?

If you care enough to vote...if it's really that important to you...then you can get get one of the approved IDs. In our system, a few votes can turn an entire election. A single Senator or Congressman can mean the difference between who's in the majority in Congress and who's not. The majority controls the legislative process, approval of nominated Executive branch appointees and so much more.

There has actually been NO proof that voter fraud isn't a problem. There have been studies and newspaper editorials, but no proof. We have historical evidence that voter fraud has turned some elections though and we know that the voter rolls in many states are incorrect and that there are problems with the system. Being required to prove that you are who you say you are and that you are eligible to vote protects everyone and it protects the system

Democracy needs informed voters and a system that protects the sanctity of one man, one vote. To claim that requiring ID is unfair, undemocratic, racist or bad...is just stupid.:thumb:

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
There should be an IQ test for voters too. Everybody should be required to study the US Constitution, the Federalist Papers, the writings of the founders and the history of the SCOTUS and it's major rulings...and they should be required to pass a test proving their knowlege about what's actually in the Constitution and what's not....Before they're allowed to vote for people who make law.

Our system depends on intelligent and informed voters...without them we're doomed.

That would require decent...dare I say it... public schools.. :wow:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
If you care enough to vote...if it's really that important to you...then you can get get one of the approved IDs. In our system, a few votes can turn an entire election. A single Senator or Congressman can mean the difference between who's in the majority in Congress and who's not. The majority controls the legislative process, approval of nominated Executive branch appointees and so much more.

There has actually been NO proof that voter fraud isn't a problem. There have been studies and newspaper editorials, but no proof. We have historical evidence that voter fraud has turned some elections though and we know that the voter rolls in many states are incorrect and that there are problems with the system. Being required to proove that you are who you say you are and that you are eligible to vote protects everyone and it protects the system

Democracy needs informed voters and a system that protects the sanctity of one man, one vote. To claim that requiring ID is unfair, undemocratic, racist or bad...is just stupid.:thumb:

The driving principal behind the Voter ID law has nothing to do with voter fraud. It's about winning elections by "legally" preventing certain demographic groups of US citizens from casting a ballot. Period. All of the justifications come later. I'm just amazed by how easily "educated citizens" are fooled by their argument. Once again, the truth is in the "why".

Latest Threads