School me on video/audio doorbells

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have existing wiring but may go battery wireless, and do not want to subscribe for service.

What do you guys have?

madmusicltd

Reaction score
I have a Ring doorbell, the existing wiring can connect to charge the battery. you can opt for service or no service. I liked mine so much I put one on the front and back doors. It alarms me when there is motion, and it starts a video recording. If someone rings the bell, and I'm not home I can talk to them. I also take a snap shot every hour, you can go live at any time, the camera quality is great! Good luck

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've heard of that brand and it's well recommended. What do you like about it? Easy install? Does it have a constant-run surveillance mode?

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an uninstalled Arlo bell with about 4 other cameras. Now that spring is almost here I will probably put it up. I don't feel like I need it but the wife really wants it.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've heard of that brand and it's well recommended. What do you like about it? Easy install? Does it have a constant-run surveillance mode?
The install was dead simple. Connected with my phone and got it connected to ring.com in minutes. This is the view out my front door.

1618002384251.png

PeteK

Reaction score
They are a great way to get video footage of your Amazon packages being stolen. Not that you will get them back or anything. Just helps you lose a little more faith in humanity by seeing the faces of the theives.

Deftone

Reaction score
They are a great way to get video footage of your Amazon packages being stolen. Not that you will get them back or anything. Just helps you lose a little more faith in humanity by seeing the faces of the theives.
FWIW Ring is owned by Amazon.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The new Ring that just came out is the best that there is. Subscribe or not.

You must hardwire it, and it costs $249.
Battery is a PITA. Wire it up and forget about it.
I have no advice for the $249, however.

Buy once. Cry once.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a mother in law that lives in a house near the road on my property. She knows all.

I also have 2 dogs that can hear a mouse fart at 100yds= night alarm.

Yes, the system costs a lot more than "Ring", but it's fool proof. :)

Droog

Reaction score
I have the ring one, easy install, works great, adjustable settings. Subscribe or not, your choice.

krauley

Reaction score
I have the ring pro hardwired and its working fine. The only thing i would suggest is to make sure you have good wifi at the spot of the installation. I did not have a good signal so i had to buy a network extender to have the signal strength needed but even that was a breeze to get up and running. There are 2 tiers of subscription costs, Im using the $3 a month plan just to be able to have the people only motion setting which is behind the sub paywall.
What is the price of each plan?
Ring Protect Basic is $3 per month or $30 per year for each device subscribed (in the US).
Ring Protect Plus is $10 per month or $100 each year to cover all devices at your home (in the US).

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of leaning toward the Eufy. Good reviews, essentially the same features as the Ring, good quality sound and video, but includes a modem-sized local storage unit with a USB port so that you can archive the video on large-capacity flash drives.

But keep the opinions coming.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a battery powered Ring doorbell at an investment property and the tenant loves it.
How long do the batteries actually last as opposed to how long they're advertised to last? Advertised is ~ six months, but four or five would be okay.

Latest Threads