School me on "metal guitars"

ArchEtech

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I think of metal guitars, I immediately go to Jackson and ESP. Those are what I remember people playing............when I was angry and listening to that stuff :)

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
Well this is certainly an entertaining thread I'll have to say. And I've really nothing of value to add because it's all been said. Be that as it may, I hate Mesa amplifiers. OK. So hate is a strong word. Let's use strongly dislike. I'm getting older now and don't have the time required to dial one of those things in. Too many knobs. :laugh2::laugh2:

CB91710

Reaction score
Well this is certainly an entertaining thread I'll have to say. And I've really nothing of value to add because it's all been said. Be that as it may, I hate Mesa amplifiers. OK. So hate is a strong word. Let's use strongly dislike. I'm getting older now and don't have the time required to dial one of those things in. Too many knobs. :laugh2::laugh2:
Time for a 5F1 or GA5?

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ola is popular on YT, so I'm sure that's helping. Not to mention they are good looking guitars with nice features. I really like the beveled edges on the V. Mahogany body/maple set neck is a winner, so are jumbo SS frets.

The Natural Aged Distressed Type A is looking pretty sick.....

I want this one which was just announced for preorder:

1577673889989.png

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I felt exactly that way until I tried a Triple Crown, I really love that amp. It's very intuitive to dial in, too.

Anyway I've been boxing, moving, and unpacking for more than a week now, and we have millions of things that need to be done in the new house, so unless I find a killer deal I'm probably not getting a new guitar any time soon. I'm thinking either a PRS Custom 24, PRS 513, or Mayones Regius. It might not happen too soon, but one day...

I want a 6-string, but look at this beautiful Mayones on Reverb right now:

Damn that thing is absolutely gorgeous!

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I felt exactly that way until I tried a Triple Crown, I really love that amp. It's very intuitive to dial in, too.

Anyway I've been boxing, moving, and unpacking for more than a week now, and we have millions of things that need to be done in the new house, so unless I find a killer deal I'm probably not getting a new guitar any time soon. I'm thinking either a PRS Custom 24, PRS 513, or Mayones Regius. It might not happen too soon, but one day...

I want a 6-string, but look at this beautiful Mayones on Reverb right now:

Damn that thing is absolutely gorgeous!
Ive had two PRS Custom 24s. They were without question phenomenal instruments. But I never bonded with either one. I don’t wanna bag on them here but the word ‘sterile’ comes to mind.

John Ucol

Reaction score
Ive had two PRS Custom 24s. They were without question phenomenal instruments. But I never bonded with either one. I don’t wanna bag on them here but the word ‘sterile’ comes to mind.
I get that everyone prefers different things, but I never found what anyone else may have considered as "sterile" about PRS guitars. Despite their product placement leaning towards low-gain blues-rock styles at the moment, at least among their core models, they can still fill the modern or aggressive niches just fine with nothing really lacking.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I always used to feel the same way, but lately for some reason I've been feeling differently for some reason. I'll just have to try some out and see.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
More than two months later and I still haven't been able to buy another guitar, just way too much work with the house, though the important stuff (new deck, painting, French drain) is finally done.

I've tried some Custom 24s and just don't get along with them; they didn't wow me at all, I dunno. Maybe another model would. I played a Suhr Modern that kind of blew me away in terms of feel and ease of playing, despite it being a Super Strat at core. It had one of the best necks I've ever felt.

I'll piss some people off, but something like a single color Charvel just looks like ass to me, like a plastic toy in an 80s hair band. I mean how much more boring could you possibly get than this? And it lists at $2,600 new:

A Suhr Modern with a nice top looks like an instrument. This is the actual one that I played:

Sooo much better, it's not even close. The top guitar is a Super Strat that I'm not interested in at all, but the Suhr I could really see myself getting.

The Mayones Regius and Duvell look fantastic and everyone raves about them. I almost pulled the trigger on a Regius on Reverb, but honestly I can't spend money like that on a guitar I've never been able to play in person.

I'd like to try some Ernie Ball Music Man guitars, which you wouldn't think would be so hard to find in my area. The John Petrucci signature seem to have all of the specs I'm looking for (Petrucci BFR, Majesty, etc).

So I'm still sort of looking, but it probably won't be any time soon that I buy something. But I'm getting closer! The problem I'm finding is, where do you guys go to try out these guitars??? No place near me has them, or maybe one store an hour away has one, another store an hour away in a different direction has another one, etc. It's just impossible.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Yeah seriously, I can buy a round trip ticket to LA for super cheap, I almost want to do that one day just to go guitar shopping. I flew up to Portland once to buy a car and drive it home, and flew to San Diego for a motorcycle. This wouldn't be too different.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Yeah seriously, I can buy a round trip ticket to LA for super cheap, I almost want to do that one day just to go guitar shopping. I flew up to Portland once to buy a car and drive it home, and flew to San Diego for a motorcycle. This wouldn't be too different.
I went to Nashville. Hands down the coolest guitar day ever, I got to play a '60 Burst, that could never happen where I live. Even if you don't find the exact guitar you're after you'll stiill be learning what you really like and what you don't. Take calipers though, measure the good necks!

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Have you checked out Jackson?
Pretty much all of the Jacksons that I see around here are in the $150-400 range, so I assume they're junk. It's a hard brand to understand; I guess the USA made ones are quality? Some do look nice.

Honestly for the specs and price, I'm a little tempted with something like this:

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hey man that’s too much time to find one !

I always believe that “metal” guitars are easier to find as you have tons of alternatives...

Here is my current collection..All three on low row are metal machines.. especially the Ltd because it has EMGs
C054E053-FD47-4E74-A627-F1F09134403D.jpeg

This new Ltd Black Metal series is screaming metal... too metal for me to be honest.. they come in multiple shapes too...
1AFD0451-C7F5-4705-9966-DD3F0F8A8130.jpeg
365BFC60-D536-4998-9EAF-F5C9ED6853CD.jpeg
FA3418F4-91AD-4D3E-BE45-CDBA37A0EA82.jpeg
5985DBE7-1B86-4961-A994-71F976374092.jpeg

ErictheRed

Reaction score
It's not even that I want something "metal" exactly I've realized, it's that every other guitar of mine is a vintage reissue. I want a modern guitar that looks modern, plays modern, sounds modern (tight and aggressive), etc.

Something like this would be perfect I think, if only I could try one in person:
bdxrmwixdd1gj4ahg0kk.jpg

I should consider something like this (not my favorite look):
00m0m_6TXm8ddNQrU_1200x900.jpg

or this:
s-l400.jpg

but again, nowhere around me seems to carry them. Bay Area traffic is a bitch, but I've seriously called about a dozen different stores within an hour or so of me, and it's hard enough finding just a regular old PRS Custom 24. If I ever get a full day to myself without the wife and kids, I'll have to expand my search further up into San Francisco and Santa Rosa (I see there's a Mayones dealer there). But it's hard finding anything interesting near me, it's all Fender, Gibson, and then lower end imported versions of guitars. A few Sterling guitars for instance, but no Music Man.

Anyway I'm just blabbing.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Hey just popping in with a few Fender and Gibson options, since they’re almost everywhe:

Have you looked at the new theStrat? Gibson makes specific Metal LesPauls like the Axcess. Also there are many SG, Explorer or Firebirds options with humbuckers which work great for high gain music.

Or a G&L Invader or Superhawk? GL with your search!

E1312D1E-2E32-4539-A611-0B1396B862F3.jpeg
9CE7804A-85F5-4787-A7C6-2E775CCA0EEC.jpeg

Latest Threads