School me on "metal guitars"

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I feel like this a question like walking onto a car lot and asking a vague question to the sales person: "I'd like a car." and then getting upset at every suggestion.

High output humbucker. High gain amplifier.

Next. :D
I do realize that my question was vague, but I did list some requirements, or at least desired attributes--different enough from the guitars that I already have, good upper fret access, higher output pickups than my R9, trem, etc. I have gotten some good help and recommendations, some for guitars that I wasn't aware of.

Also, a good salesperson would ask the right questions to help the customer find something that they will enjoy and suits their needs :D.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I think the amp is more important than the guitar for metal, but OP has Mesa....

the sparrow hawk! Love the look of it...

Also, since we are ignoring the trem system request..

View attachment 423993
The Hagstrom fantomen, ghost's current guitar.

View attachment 423994
And the original Ghost guitar (or at least, the most recognised one)
:drool:

I have an RD now, because Ghost, and it's honestly so freakin comfortable and ergonomic to play... fits like a glove :thumb:
Man you beat me to it! I have both the Sparrow Hawk and the Fantomen. Both are great for the Heavy stuff. The Hagstrom is about 15% more to my liking for rhythm the Sparrow Hawk is about 20% better for leads. I know those numbers are a strange way to comapre the two, but it's all I got right now. The Hagstrom is one of those guitars that plays and sounds well above its price range. So much so that I have been looking at their other offerings.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Man you beat me to it! I have both the Sparrow Hawk and the Fantomen. Both are great for the Heavy stuff. The Hagstrom is about 15% more to my liking for rhythm the Sparrow Hawk is about 20% better for leads. I know those numbers are a strange way to comapre the two, but it's all I got right now. The Hagstrom is one of those guitars that plays and sounds well above its price range. So much so that I have been looking at their other offerings.
I'd love to try the fantomen :hmm:

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Want metal? More than one factor i.e. guitars, as stated. So here's something else that you'll like; Add doubling. MIMIQ

Gtarzan81

Reaction score

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Always love people asking other guys what they should like and buy...then going upset because this didn't worked as they expected. :thumb:
I'd call it a little more like asking what the best burger place in town is and then being recommended pizza places, because pizza works for lunch, too. Of course people are free to say whatever they want.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Slight update...we just bought a house! Under contract and in escrow currently, something we've been trying to do for maybe nine months. It's been complicated because of VA loan requirements, and because we live in Santa Cruz (one of the most expensive and termite infested areas of the country). So I may not be buying a new guitar anytime soon, we'll see.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Slight update...we just bought a house! Under contract and in escrow currently, something we've been trying to do for maybe nine months. It's been complicated because of VA loan requirements, and because we live in Santa Cruz (one of the most expensive and termite infested areas of the country). So I may not be buying a new guitar anytime soon, we'll see.
Best of luck! Make sure you do your due diligence on the property. Our area has a lot of foundation problems and horror stories.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
That's a weak excuse to not buy a guitar...Just Kidding. Good luck

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a Super Strat in my Yamaha RGX Custom guitar but nothing screams metal more than my Jackson King V equipped with the Holy Grail of metal pickups in the EMG 81 & 85 combo.

I love it and I want one, but Eric said no pointy guitars.

How about the SG, Eric? (Congrats on the house, btw. I used to live in Los Gatos, spent many days in Santa Cruz.)

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Well some amount of pointy is not bad, I just don't want something too extreme or out there. A V is sort of a classic guitar design at this point, I could consider trying one. It's probably not what I'm looking for, though.

SG with the right pickups is a good suggestion, though for some reason I've never found a SG that spoke strongly to me. I don't know what trem options there are for SGs, either.

There are definitely some good ideas here, but I'm kind of leaning towards a PRS Custom 24 with the right pickups. I don't really know why, I've never felt drawn to them before. It's probably partly because I've been listening to a lot of Opeth. I think that the DGT may be more vintage inspired than I'm looking for.

I own a Mesa Triple Crown, and I've seen the Mesa demos. I like some of the tones that John Browne gets, but I have no idea what these guitars are, for instance. That's why I need to be schooled in the subject:

These are a little Super Stratty, but have a unique vibe.

Anyway the guitar purchase is definitely going on hold for some time, though. Lots of stuff to get in order for the new house...

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
SG with the right pickups is a good suggestion, though for some reason I've never found a SG that spoke strongly to me. I don't know what trem options there are for SGs, either.
Ya, the SG is a bit "old school" so it can be polarizing for metal, but funny how the Flying-V is more associated with Blues than the more conservative SG.
SG Trem options? You don't want Gibson factory trem options. Strats get a bad rap for tuning issues, and no, they don't hold when dive-bombing. Gibson trems don't stay in tune even when not used.
The SG body style might be a good consideration, but find one from a different maker with a different trem design.

tzd

Reaction score
I own a Mesa Triple Crown, and I've seen the Mesa demos. I like some of the tones that John Browne gets, but I have no idea what these guitars are, for instance. That's why I need to be schooled in the subject:

These are a little Super Stratty, but have a unique vibe.
That's Mayones

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I don't really play metal, but I do have some guitars that might be considered "metal" :cool:

Music Man are great quality and very versatile - I've got a Steve Morse Y2D:

Another favourite of mine is this Fender Dave Murray:

Old B.C.Rich are cool too, but US-made ones are not cheap!
Mine's a very early Japanese one from about 1980, but I do hope to own a US one some day...

V's and Explorers can be metal too, but I prefer the 50's style ones - and I wouldn't want one with a trem!