School me on "metal guitars"

matthew bear

Reaction score
I'm very interested in the Solar guitars being offered by Ola...

Solar singlecut.
1575138620387.png

3 bridge types. Evertune, Floyd, and the classic bridge/stoptail. They also make V's and Superstrat shapes.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yeah prostitute's and preachers are the same shape too but people get a dramitically different user experience from them, that's why looks and output matter. That's part of what makes metal what it is, it's not a juiced up 50's axe.

This looks and sounds metal

This is an amazing legend that could sound however he wants but is most assuredly NOT METAL.
russian image hosting
What?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Mockingbird and Eagle are really the only BCR that I think look good.
The Bich is OK, and I've always wanted the doubleneck, but the Mockingbird and Eagle are classy, but still edgy.
The Seagull was just goofy and looked "chunky"
The Ironbird and Warlock are OK if you like the look. I don't care for it.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Can you link to the DGT on your Craigslist?
Some folks pull the stock pickups in these, and they are not sold apart from the guitars.

DGT without stock pickups should be in the 2200 range. With... 2800 all day long.
Here's the PRS DGT:

I'm not sure that it's much more of a metal guitar than my R9, though.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Here's the PRS DGT:

Ever played one? Go check it out if you haven't. They are fantastic all around guitars with a coil tap that works. The bridge pickup stays focused with a good amount of gain. Here is a great video on them:

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
Have you checked out the Dustie Waring CE 24 Floyd?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's the PRS DGT:

Another consideration is if you want to down tune the longer the scale the better.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Another consideration is if you want to down tune the longer the scale the better.
What brands have longer scale length than, say, Fender's 25.5"? PRS are 25.4" I believe. I probably won't downtune to anything too extreme, but yeah that's a good point.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Ever played one? Go check it out if you haven't. They are fantastic all around guitars with a coil tap that works. The bridge pickup stays focused with a good amount of gain. Here is a great video on them:
I've only just heard of the DGT from that ad and starting to research it. I do like the Honeyburst color, so I'll try to go play it after work this coming week and see. My impression is that he may even take $2k even, which sounds like a good deal from what I can tell? I was concerned that maybe the pickups are voiced more vintage than I would want (I already have the R9).

grumphh

Reaction score
This is such a ridiculous thread :D

I mean, if you want metal looking guitars - well, those are pointy or spiky and definitely not classic guitar shape looking...

...also, no one looks metal with a Charvel (super)strat thingy... Charvels (and the like) are for spandexed poodle rock, but certainly not metal.

If you want guitars you can play metal on, any solidbody electric (preferrably with a bridge hum) will do the job just nicely.

...and if you are a pretentious metaller, get one of those headless 8 string multiscale guitars with weird bodies...

And PRS as a "metal" guitar? There is such a thing as lawyer metal?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
It may look metal, it also looks ridiculous.

OP said he didn't want something pointy and ridiculous looking.

This is a good example of how a guitar can look metal without being over-the-top about it:

Here's another example of a traditional design successfully given a tasteful metal look:

I do have to concur with you on the Mockingbird though. They're just about the height of cool.

What's the white guitar, a Charvel San Dimas? What should I know about Charvel? I see them priced all over the map, not sure what the higher quality examples are.

I LOVE the look that Mockingbird, wow! I'll definitely look into those, but I'm not sure where to find one locally.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I've only just heard of the DGT from that ad and starting to research it. I do like the Honeyburst color, so I'll try to go play it after work this coming week and see. My impression is that he may even take $2k even, which sounds like a good deal from what I can tell? I was concerned that maybe the pickups are voiced more vintage than I would want (I already have the R9).
2k for these guitars in good shape is a great deal. I paid 2200 for mine used and it's worth every cent.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
This is such a ridiculous thread :D

I mean, if you want metal looking guitars - well, those are pointy or spiky and definitely not classic guitar shape looking...

...also, no one looks metal with a Charvel (super)strat thingy... Charvels (and the like) are for spandexed poodle rock, but certainly not metal.

If you want guitars you can play metal on, any solidbody electric (preferrably with a bridge hum) will do the job just nicely.

...and if you are a pretentious metaller, get one of those headless 8 string multiscale guitars with weird bodies...

And PRS as a "metal" guitar? There is such a thing as lawyer metal?
Well, I have a day job and am not looking to play dress up. Metal has pretty much become a caricature of itself these days, scrawny pasty kids pretending to be more metal and macho than the next scrawny pasty kid. I can at least grow good facial hair and am an in shape 6' 3", but again I'm not going to play dress up, I'm going to play music. I just want a guitar that can stay tight with high gain, has vibrato, and is set up for metal playing instead of blues (longer scale length, flatter radius, etc).

As far as bands to reference, I'm talking mostly Opeth (love them), some of Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Tool, some Mastodon...of course I love Megadeth, Metallica, etc.

Thanks for contributing, though.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
What's the white guitar, a Charvel San Dimas? What should I know about Charvel? I see them priced all over the map, not sure what the higher quality examples are.
That's a USA Charvel San Dimas. Here's one that I have been watching on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/29203953-charvel-usa-select-san-dimas-hss-snow-white

The USA and MIJ Charvels have top-mounted Floyd. The USA has pickup rings for humbuckers, while MIJ and Mexico has humbuckers directly mounted onto the body. The Mexican ones have recessed Floyd.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I've never heard of the Caparison Tat, but this looks very cool:

tzd

Reaction score
I've never heard of the Caparison Tat, but this looks very cool:
Caparison is built by the company that used to build MIJ Jackson guitars. TAT is their neck-through model. The bolt-on model is Horus and they all have the clock-face fret inlays.