School me on les pauls

Jackson89

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m a new member. I have referred to this site for years, but I’ve only just registered.

my les Paul History is pretty lame, I had an epi black beauty and an epi gold top with p90s. I’m currently without one but it’s next on my list.

Last time i seriously looked into it a ratty Gibson Les Paul standard was between £900-£1200. I’m aware that now the used prices have gone up and I’ve also worked out what I actually want.

so I’m after some schooling, I know for certain that I like P90s and don’t like humbuckers. as far as I can tell the only LP STD with p90s is a gold top and big coin.

am I right in saying that the only Gibson branded les Paul with trapeze inlays, binding, an arched top and p90s I am likely to get for under £1000 is a 50s tribute?

I’m not loyal to Gibson, il buy any brand as long as it’s good. I’d love a Japanese tokai love rock, but they are also often more than I’m looking to spend and rarely have p90s.

I’ve got an early 80s hondo 335 copy that is excellent, although when I was younger I had a hondo II les Paul that was terrible... are there good hondo les Paul’s?

I’m looking for suggestions of sub £1k (but under £500 would be better) used, possibly old, definitely Gibson shaped, DEFINITELY P90 equipped les Paul that isn’t an epi gold top.

failing all else I will get another one of those, it was excellent in every way but I’m hoping to have my horizons broadened.

cheers

mono

Reaction score
"looking for suggestions of sub £1k (but under £500 would be better) used, possibly old, definitely Gibson shaped, DEFINITELY P90 equipped les Paul that isn’t an epi gold top"

Yeah, not much choice other than Epiphone or Edwards. Maybe look at the Vintage brand. Certainly not going to get any decent vintage Tokai, Greco or Orville for that money.

smk506

Reaction score
That’s a doable list and budget. Your probably not going to land a Gibson at the price, but there are other p90 single cuts out there.

Guild has made them,you can get a nice agile from rondo music.

You might be able to score a used Eastman for about a grand, maybe a bit more...

None of those are strict les Paul copies through and through, but that doesn’t seem to matter too much?

Jackson89

Reaction score
Well that thing has happened to me where anything that isn’t the same shape as the original (Gibson) looks weird.

I will look into FGN but maybe I should be prepared to save a bit more.

my one and only issue with epiphone les Paul gold tops is the gold top... I love Gibson gold tops but the epiphone gold is a bit odd.

does anyone know what resides beneath an epi gold top paint job? If it’s maple capped I would happily strip and refinish one, but I assume because it’s buried under paint and lacquer it’s probably just whatever they had lying around...

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, you could look at one of these, here's my little review. It is a single cut with humbuckers, but it also does Les Paul with
P90s.

Line 6 Variax JTV-59

Roxy13

Reaction score
Aria made one with P90s in the late 70s in colors other than gold. I have one. You just have to be patient and wait for one to show up. They come with awesome Gibson Laidback P90s as well.

Edwards has made black and wine red customs. They have SD pickups.

Tokai also made colors other than gold. I've seen black ones and a cherry sunburst one recently.

But, yes, it takes patience to hunt for one that isn't gold.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score

Gtarzan81

Reaction score

dspelman

Reaction score
Agile has produced some great P90 LP-style guitars, ranging from the AD-2300 series double cut "special" style guitars to a custom-style LP with multi-layer binding on both the front *and* the back of the guitar, ebony board, real MOP inlays, etc. Outstanding guitars from Rondo Music.

Jackson89

Reaction score
Gotta be a single cut? This Yamaha Revstar would fit the bill:

-'hog body
-maple cap
-P90s
-dry switch
-sexy look

I’m pretty much exclusively after a Gibson or Gibson copy, the only DC I’d be tempted by would be a LP special, thanks though

Jackson89

Reaction score
I think I’ve accepted that my budget won’t get me exactly what I’m after so I’ve narrowed it down to 3 options,

gibson les Paul 60s tribute
Gibson Les Paul special
Or an epi gold top and strip and refinish it

I’m actually more of a fan of the special than I thought, although it hugely depends on the colour

geddy

Reaction score
Get a studio and replace the pickups.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Love that brown agile! Back in the early 2000s they made a single cut with 3 P-90s with hum canceling in switch positions 2 and 4. 248 dollars plus shipping, if I recall. Still kicking myself for missing out on that one.

Latest Threads