School me on Acoustics

Skeletor

Reaction score
Looking for all the folks in the backstage to give me some insights into acoustics (steel string 6 strings for now).
The Canadian patriot in me has been watching an OM-3 Larrivee on the used market and it has got me gassing for a decent acoustic.
But... I've never really done any research on the differences between body styles, bracing designs. Let alone any differences between brands (say what defines a Martin vs Taylor vs Gibson vs something like a Larrivee) - scale length, neck shape, tonal differences due to design.
Any "issues" to look for when shopping for certain brands/models (common failure points, commonly faked models?)

I'm looking primarily at second hand due to budget constraints if that changes the advice.

Thanks

tonedr

Reaction score
great to hear your looking for an acoustic...as you well know the points you mentioned, which are all great ones, comprises many magazines and forum threads so there is an overload of information these days

I would suggest that you first settle on a body style or size acoustic guitar. Generally the biggest is a Dreadnaught or D size guitar, although there are jumbo body styles which are even bigger, all the way down to parlor size or 0 size. Different companies will have different names/number they attach to them but in this discussion size does matter as well as what you want the guitar to do as size of the body plays a big role there too.

Using myself as an example...i'm 5'8 and my first legit acoustic was a D size. Over time i discovered that smaller body sizes fit me much better. I haven't owned a D size guitar for a few decades now. The body size is too big for me to work with, it don't need the volume of a big guitar at gigs because we all have electronics in our guitars and i like a more 'balanced' sound between strings. I don't want the lower strings to over power the high strings which is common on a large body guitar.

The other thing i would mention as you get this discussion started..electronics come in many new guitars offered today, especially Taylor Guitars. IMO that's not always good. The advantage is they are already pro installed and you don't have to worry about all of that. Sometimes players opt to put in their own electronics which has the advantage of you choosing from a great amount of amazing options available today.

These days i have an OM size acoustic with a cutaway, two L00 size guitars (Gibson design) a Collings that is a copy of a Martin 0 size and a Taylor Grand Aditorium ( my biggest guitar) and a Taylor Gand Concert.

If i can be of any help please ask - enjoy the search!

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a new line of Gibson’s coming out called the G Series, American made in Montana for around $899 street price

They are really nice sounding and damn fine guitar in a budget

Skeletor

Reaction score
What is your budget. That will be a huge thing
Budget... haven't sold the idea to my wife yet so budget is currently $0. The Larrivee is sitting at $900 CDN - I could probably justify $1000 or so ($750US)

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll teach you about acoustics. What do you want to know?

Grammar wise, school is a noun. :rofl:

Skeletor

Reaction score
I'll teach you about acoustics. What do you want to know?

Grammar wise, school is a noun. :rofl:
Just my 50 year old self trying to sound "hip" :)
I'm more than happy to be taught.
Still a bit overwhelmed when doing google searches people ranting about "Taylor sound" or "Martin sound" - not quite sure what side of that fence I am supposed to be on

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my ear, Taylor sound is midrangy and even, Martin sound is more bassy. The new Taylors with V class bracing have more of a Martin sound to me.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I found this video to be very helpful in regards to body types and their suitability for various music types:

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
my advice would be to stay away from cheap beginner acoustics . the Epiphones and Fenders . for a good sound __ you want to make sure that at least the top is solid wood . I like my Seagull S6 . but not a good guitar for someone to start out with . very warm sound to it + the nut is fairly wide

My personal opinion is Yamaha makes a great product in the under $1000 range.

this

they're good sounding guitars / well built . my outdoor guitar is an FG830 ( D type) , and is a nice player . super comfortable neck . I did the obvious upgrade to it __ which was a bone nut and saddle . took them out because they were too bright on that guitar . replaced them with Tusq

Yamaha also has some all solid wood guitars that might fit in your price range . if you can swing it , that would be my suggestion

Skeletor

Reaction score
my advice would be to stay away from cheap beginner acoustics . the Epiphones and Fenders . for a good sound __ you want to make sure that at least the top is solid wood . I like my Seagull S6 . but not a good guitar for someone to start out with . very warm sound to it + the nut is fairly wide
I still play like I am just starting out... unfortunately, I've been at it on and off for over 30 years :)
This quest is just typical Gas - I do have a few acoustics now - just got the notion in my head to get one good one (the magic guitar that will incite me to get off my ass and practice).
Currently have:
- A Seagull S6 Original cutaway (had a hump in the neck that I've sort of rectified)
- A Simon Patrick 12 string
- A La Patrie nylon string
& - an old 80's Fender King Redondo - my first real guitar - but it really needs a neck reset (or to be relegated to slide as the action is bad)
Again - just me feeling the need to "reward myself"

Rds

Reaction score
I would suggest putting your hands on as many as you can to get s feel for what's out there. Lots of good instruments around. I bought a Martin mmv which I like alot. Also have a taylor 12 string dreadnought body that I also love. And even a 78 Ibanez j200 copy that rings like a bell. They all sound different but I like them all. Just got to find the one. All the ones I mentioned are afordable.

:cool2:

Meatwad

Reaction score
Another Yamaha fan here.:wave:

The 200 dollar FG800 is stupid good for the money.

I've got an LL16, and it's impressed the hell out of me, and I've had some very nice acoustics over the years.
Yamaha makes something nice for every need and price point.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I bought a Blueridge BR 160 a few years back and am very happy with it.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I don't want to assume, but do you have access to a selection of guitars.

Kinda like

Image result for acoustic guitar rooms

If you do.
Take an afternoon and just go and play a bunch of different guitars.
Play a $500 guitar then play the $2500 one.

From the sounds of things. Our knowledge of acoustics is about the same.

There was one piece of advice I was given that I'll pass along.

When you sit and play the guitar.
Be mindful of how it feels in your belly.
How does the sound reverberate from the guitar, to your stomach.
You'll know what I mean once you play the $500 then play $2500 guitar.

Happy hunting.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I went through this last year when I finally decided to get a good acoustic (all wood). In the end I bought a Martin that ticked all my boxes and was a fantastic price. But, I do like the Taylor sounds as well, and played some nice Yamahas I liked, too.

If you can find some to try Guild made some nice guitars as well.

The Seagulls seem like great guitars for the money.

If you want one that plays close to an electric, my Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CS 257 does. Put some 10s on it and you can fly on that neck.

Latest Threads