schecter to make zakk "wylde" guitars

LPJNoob

Reaction score
His first two discs with Ozzy were a breath of fresh air. After that, I lost all interest in his playing. But those first two, DAYUM--- He didnt wank, he played with heart and soul. I love the song Zombie Stomp because it has some really cool fills and some pretty thoughtful stuff going on IMO--

You didn't like Jake E. Lee's playing?

Jimmi

Reaction score
"I just don't get Zack as a player"

He used to be pretty different

solo around 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d6AgoFStFQ

he owns this whole song, just fantastic playing

As always, taste and context colors what we see and hear. The drummer in one of my college bands was a big Ozzy/sabbath fan so I heard this stuff when it first came out. It's ok but not awesome IMHO. Kind of like a poor mans Rhoads (which again isn't bad). He hasn't progressed and when you see him play now by himself not covered by the rest of the band it is just not great again IMHO. I prefer Zombie's guitar player for that style. To me he forces learned patterns into places they don't really fit instead of playing to the tune.

Long list of players I would prefer to him right now. I really never hear him play something I want to adopt and I listen to a pretty wide variety of music (everything from 80s/90s shred to jazz/fusion to blues to country/bluegrass to 60s-70s rock). Seems like a genuine guy but just doesn't do it for me as a player. I do have a few Black Label society CDs that I like...so it is like Metallica...I like the tunes and the feel of them but the lead guitar playing is just kinda Meh.

Blues4U

Reaction score
You didn't like Jake E. Lee's playing?

I loved Jake's playing with Ozzy. I am just talking about what was going on at the time that Zakk hit the scene. He took Ozzy a different direction and I liked Ozzy's music when Zakk first showed up.

CherryBurstChaser

Reaction score
Zakk's drinking has affected his playing so much. In the Mafia and Shot To Hell era, he was not well and you could hear it. His live sound on those tours was really muddy. The stuff he was doing with Ozzy around that time was also suffering. From what I understand, his drinking during those years got so bad that Ozzy and Sharon made him go to rehab. And he left after a few hours.
Then you have all the health problems from drinking. I think he got too drunk to make great music, and I think he's still trying to figure out how to play/feel the same way sober. Here's a guy who for all his years and experience playing, doesn't have much experience playing/touring/writing/recording sober.
I like what he plays and I like the way he plays so I don't mind that a lot of songs on a lot of albums sound the same. I think he may have trouble with growth b/c he's such a control freak. Black Label Society is Zakk and Zakk only. The band is only for the road. They're not involved creatively. Zakk writes all the songs. He writes all the guitar and bass parts. And he records it all himself in the studio. It's not like he sat down in the studio with Nick Catanese and said "Hey Nick, help me come work out the guitars in this song and see what we come up with." That's why BLS is a revolving door of hired hands.

This new venture of his is interesting, but I think the guitars are super ugly.

Fireproof

Reaction score

Call back to the "357 Customs" promotion way back when. They made a chopper for Zakk, then came up with some promotional stunt where if you bought a model chopper and gift certificate, you got a FREE Epiphone bullseye LP.

339550700_small.jpg

bullseye.1.jpg

Turned out to be a scam. Ended up with Zakk suing the company for screwing his fans or something like that. Good times on Harmony Central way back in the day.

Lampens

Reaction score
His Ozzy stuff was good, also that southern rock album he did and I can't think of that other album he did solo right now, book of shadows or something? I liked some stuff on that. And the first black label stuff. Then he turned into this dumb drunken biker wannabe that didn't do anything new. More image and pooha then anything else imo. Shame really.

Gloveberg

Reaction score
Zakk used to have a style but now all I hear is a million note speed picking.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
His first two discs with Ozzy were a breath of fresh air. After that, I lost all interest in his playing. But those first two, DAYUM--- He didnt wank, he played with heart and soul. I love the song Zombie Stomp because it has some really cool fills and some pretty thoughtful stuff going on IMO--

Totally agree.

CherryBurstChaser

Reaction score
also that southern rock album he did.....then he turned into this dumb drunken biker wannabe that didn't do anything new.

Pride and Glory was a great album. Early 1990s sometime after Ozzy's No More Tours tour. Zakk was also jamming with Slash at the time. That was when Slash was on the verge of leaving GnR. Then Zakk recorded Ozzmosis, but Joe Holmes was the guitar player on the Retirement Sucks tour b/c Zakk couldn't
make up his mind about which project he wanted to pursue, and Ozzy didn't wanna wait around. Zakk was finishing up Book of Shadows instead of doing the Retirement Sucks tour.

I've followed his career as much as any fan could. I've understood the hairspray mid-late 80s. I've understood the whole southern rock look during the Pride and Glory days. But I have never understood Zakk looking like a cross b/t a bodybuilder, a biker and a viking.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hahahah, wow.

They're about twice what I expected them to be.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
The one difference between these and Schmibsons are the maple necks.

I actually prefer one. They're a bit more stable than the mahoganish...

As for EMG's?

Pfft. SD Blackouts use the same connectors. ;)

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I thought Wylde was starting his own brand of guitars ans amps, his Gibson signature series where until quite recently my favourite guitars to gig with, the maple neck and fretboard, I even didn't mind the paint jobs on them = thought the ones I used for gigging I had refinished.

O.K. I see now Wylde Audio will be distributed by Schecter in 70 countries - what about the rest who will distribute them there, I still can't find a straight answer as to if they will be made by Schecter or not.

I'd love to see a few pics of those Gibbys.

Oh wait.....

FUS44

Reaction score
What pieces of import garbage.
If you want one of these, ball up the hand that goes "weddly-weedly" on your nu axe and punch yourself in the face until you realize just what a dildo you will look like with any of these guitars around your pencil neck.

I saw ZW on the Metal Hour or whatever that sh*t show is and he sucked,badly. That midless white noise wanking with chorus and wah is awful.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Zakk is a solid player and I don't begrudge his trying to make a buck. I don't even care they're imports. I just think they're ugly and a big step down from his Customs.

Latest Threads