Schaller's new s-locks are the best there is

pondcaster

Reaction score
When the grolsch-style washers work so perfectly forever, it's a wonder anyone spends the $$ on these Schallers and other brands? Have used them for 20 yrs, zero issues.

Had Schallers on a Tele many years ago, they were just clunky and looked ridiculous. Totally ruined the elegant design of the guitar itself. Couldn't remove them fast enough.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Nothing beats the Dunlop's!
Well, Dunlops beat nothing, anyway - but not by much. I have lost count of how many times I've seen a Dunlop take an accidental bump and let loose; can't happen with Schallers. Between their (much smarter) pull-to-release design & the redundancy of the U-channel on the strap, it's just physically impossible.

59PAF

Reaction score
It's a 2000 Ibanez RG 550R. Nice fiddle!

It didn't come unscrewed, and the set screw was nice and tight. I simply never could get it tight enough to keep it from rotating on the strap, and believe me, I tried. I left this part out of my video, but I emailed Schaller to let them know what happened. I was polite in my email, and didn't ask them for anything. I just wanted to provide feedback on what happened to me. The only response I got was, "Did you watch the installation video?" That's why I included the clips from their video in mine.
I watched your video after I bought the s-locks and watched it again on this thread. I went and got the strap I put them on and I gotta say (and eating crow at the same time) that i checked the tightness of the thumb wheel again and both wheels could tighten a little more. I actually thought once the thumb wheel was hand tightened you could then tighten the tiny thumb wheel screw and it would stay put. Not so; you can still loosen it by hand. The screw serves no purpose. It would make more sense for that screw to hold the thumb wheel in place. Now, I'm not so confident as I once was. I will probably go back to the D'Addario strap locks.

Last edited:

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A less clumsy solution is the D'Addario Dual Lock.
They are made of plastic so won't last forever if taking off and on often. But cheap and easy to use.

PW-DLC-01-large.jpg

wildhawk1

Reaction score
When the grolsch-style washers work so perfectly forever, it's a wonder anyone spends the $$ on these Schallers and other brands? Have used them for 20 yrs, zero issues.

Same general method I've used black neoprene fender washers from hardware stores for years with zero issues. S-locks don't compare in regards to cost, ease of installation, and security IMHO.

JMP

Reaction score
Now that I’m solidly a middle aged dude easily mistaken as a “boomer”, I use the original Schaller system. In the 1990s when pointy super strats were en vogue, I used these: https://www.dimarzio.com/straps/cliplock

They certainly don’t match the aesthetic of a Les Paul (my opinion), but they’re completely bomber and nearly fail proof. Certainly worth considering if you’re looking for a fail proof high quality option.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably posted this thread on the wrong topic but could not find a suitable forum.

Schaller's new s-locks has to be the most safest strap lock available. I just put a set on my Les Paul and I am confident that my strap will never fall off no matter what.

You tighten the round cylinder to the strap pin and install the strap pin with an Allen wrench. After that a small type eyeglass type screwdriver is used to tighten the small cylinder screw so its completely tight and will never loosen. You can then slip on the strap lock without lifting up the strap pin. Now, you will not have to worry that your expensive Les Paul will fall off if the strap lock ever came loose.

I might have to ear Crow on this one. Not sure yet. Maybe more yes than no.

I'm not SPECIFICALLY trolling for more views on my channel, but I generally feel obligated to share this video every time someone brings up s-locks. There's definitely a reason that this was the first video I made for my channel.

I totally agreed with OP's original post and felt exactly the same way!
......until I watched MM's video.
When I first watched it, I didn't believe it. Thought he'd done something wrong.
Gave mine a close inspection and damn if he wasn't right.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'm with you. Gave up on strap locks in, I think, 1983 when one failed. Switched to Grolsch washers and never looked back - and have never had a single issue.
Not to mention you get to enjoy the greatest beer man has ever made. :thumbs:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a player on the washer thing. That always comes up in these deals. I don't fault it, but I don't leave straps on. I'm definitely a locks guy.

BayouGTR

Reaction score
I like the original design, Schaller or Gotoh. But now it’s Lock-Strap.

metalmike222

Reaction score
I will probably go back to the D'Addario strap locks.
Believe me when I say that I take NO pleasure in being "right" on this issue. I genuinely hope that everyone else who uses the s-locks has no issue at all. When I was in my earlier 20's, I tried a number of different strap lock solutions, and the original Schaller style were and still are my preferred choice. Fender and 1 or 2 other companies still make that style at half the price of the s-locks, so if you like the style, maybe give one of those a chance?
As far as the beer washers go, I don't drink and I want to be able to take the strap off if I need to. One of the nice things about having the Schaller style locks on ever guitar I own is that I can swap the straps out in 2 seconds if there is an issue.

v-man

Reaction score
Schallers were my go-to from the 1990s. About 5-10 years ago, I quit buying them (if a guitar already had one, fine. If not, it wasn’t getting new locks.

Years ago I had a schaller mechanical failure. The plunger broke. That ended the blind faith. I also notice the design sucks with LPs because the cup that the strap button sits in has a rotational force applied by virtue of sitting on the singlecut “shoulder” of the guitar as opposed to behind the neck on modern Gibson designs. For some reason there is an “outwards AND downwards” pressure on the cup that I find repositions the lock (cup) in different positions from where I installed it, unlike the “behind the neck” position that tends to sit still.

AS OF THIS POST, I checked my LP to see where the cup was expecting it to be 90 degrees off from cupping the bottom. Nope, the Motherfucking piece of shit rotated 180 degrees with only the plunger holding it in place. If the nut is torqued down on the thick strap, the plunger locks frozen into the button and it cannot be freed. If the nut is “tightened” to allow the plunger to detach freely, the stupid cup spins with force and movement applied… sadly as extreme as 180 degrees… offering ZERO support beyond the plunger… and I am reminded all over again why I stopped buying new Schaller locks.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Good to know that the rotation is possible on the older style as well. I've never encountered it on those, but I also tighten (over tighten?) the nut to within an inch of its life. That rotation issue is exactly what happened to my Trad Pro V with the newer s-locks.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I never trusted the fender strap locks the bolt always came loose. That was enough for me. Don't understand your guitar crashing to the floor with the s-locks. You didn't mention what the caused the Schaller's to come loose. I will assume you didn't tighten the cylinder screw. But give me time and I may be telling you the same thing.
Use a wrench, they NEVER come off. Add a little thread lock and it's almost like a weld. And, as mentioned, the Fender locks are the exact same thing Schallers were for decades, pre S lock change.

NotScott

Reaction score
The Fenders are also interchangeable with the old Schallers. I have a few straps using the Fender locks that get used on guitars with the old Schaller buttons.

As for the cups rotating, I have never had that happen. But I use wrenches to make sure my hardware is tight on the strap and I always do a quick test of everything before I strap any of my guitars on.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Not to mention you get to enjoy the greatest beer man has ever made. :thumbs:
No, I do not put my homebrew in Grölsch bottles!

But if you want to go that route (and that's what I do with acoustics), go to morebeer.com & buy 50 for less than either 4 Fender-branded ones, or a bottle of Grölsch; then you have ready replacements for when the rubber (as all rubber does) dries out & cracks.

mdubya

Reaction score
No, I do not put my homebrew in Grölsch bottles!

But if you want to go that route (and that's what I do with acoustics), go to morebeer.com & buy 50 for less than either 4 Fender-branded ones, or a bottle of Grölsch; then you have ready replacements for when the rubber (as all rubber does) dries out & cracks.
Ordered. The shipping cost as much as 100 rubber washers. $15.99 total.

Latest Threads