Schaller locking straps

music to my ears

Reaction score
I was told by a guitar tech to brake off toothpicks in the hole before I screw in the schaller locking strap buttons. Anyone else hear about this or have done this?

Paul_Cat

Reaction score
I did that to my Epiphone when the hole got stripped. Also put a few drops of elmers wood glue.

You don't HAVE to do it, but if it requires a tighter fit then by all means. Don't forget the glue!

antonius

Reaction score
I did it to my super-heavy 1973 LP Custom, using the screws that came with the locks, and it is solid as a rock. I bought toothpicks because they seem to be a harder wood, compared to, say, matches. I cut them into thinner strips so they could be positioned around the hole. I used some wood glue too, which settles into any small gaps and against the thread of the screws, making it a really tight lasting fit when it sets.

Max_

Reaction score
And so did I. Result is solid as a rock!

Beastmaster

Reaction score
I used wood epoxy on a guitar where the original screws (and therefore the hole left) were much larger than the Schaller ones.

Works pretty well.

Metroboyd

Reaction score
Toothpicks and glue. Yep yep.

Use good judgement, though. If the screws tighten up just fine, it is not necessary.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Just stick a toothpick in there, and snap it off flush with the top of the hole. Then, screw in the screw. Some wood glue makes a snug fit as well.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all the years I've done the 'toothpick' trick, I've never used glue. Simply breaking off the toothpick in the hole provides enough mechanical friction/locking to keep the screws secure.

6stringer

Reaction score
I reuse the stock Gibson screws, so I don't modify my guitar in any way. Open up the bore of the Schaller button by about 1/64th, turn or file down the screw head by a hair, and you're good to go. Never understood why people stick glue and toothpicks into their guitars, but to each his own. Hell, the threads don't even match up. Why not put the same screw back in that the guitar came with? :hmm:

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
So far I've been lucky. My factory screws have fit fine with the Schallers on what few Gibsons I have owned to date, so there has been no need to try to fill in the hole. We'll see if that holds up when my next one gets here next week.

River

Reaction score
Time and heavy use can make this a good idea even if everything's stock. I prefer to split a wooden matchstick - nice, soft, grippy wood.

nutsauce

Reaction score
I was too lazy to grind down the head on the original screw although I think that is a great idea. My Custom Shop VOS historics have toothpicks in them. Never heard of the matchstick thing River, thanks man!!

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
100_0568.jpg

I make wood strips and use Liquid Nails, never had one back out yet.

Latest Threads