Scarf joint jig help

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Hello I am currently under my first build and have run into a few complications. Making the scarf joint cut in my neck blank has proven to be a challenge as I am already on my second blank. Anyways I decided a jig of some sort would be the best option. Anyone have any jig ideas or suggestions as to what would be a better way to do this?
Thanks Andrew:thumb:

Tugboat

Reaction score
I cut mine off with a circular saw and set up two 15 degree angled ramps on either side of it to clean it up with a router. Scroll down in my build thread to see how I did mine.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/247528-first-build-korina-dc-les-paul-special-inspired.html

It's not perfect, and my next will be a bit better, but it works well. Others have different techniques that work equally well and are a bit easier to do since they have more tools at their disposal. Once the little gap at the top is filled and covered with the veneer it will look great. That happens after you clean it up with a router. Be sure to do the scarf very early so you have plenty of room to adjust after you square the headstock. Also, scarf the headstock thick, like a good 1/8" thick, so you have plenty of thickness to take down to get rid of that gap at the top of the headstock. I left it a bit too thin but can compensate easily.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Google Search for Peter Licis scarf jig. Simple and effective. It is also on Kathy Matsushita's site.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys I believe I'm gonna try Peter licis jig. Seems to be pretty simple. Do you think it could be used with a hand saw since I do not have a table saw?

pshupe

Reaction score
If you don't have a table saw, I would try making the one with the sled but instead of sandpaper use a router sled. Similar technique though. Cut close with bandsaw and then smooth out with the router jig. I would also suggest doing a neck that is thin and then add the headstock ears later. It is easier to keep the shorter neck perpendicular whilst cutting. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks Peter I have an idea if what to do and ill share my jig when I do make it.

emoney

Reaction score
I made a crude version of the Licis jig and it works just fine.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks emoney I think I'm gong to make a sort of trough like jig for the blank to sit in. On the sides if the jig I'm going to have the angle cut into the sides so I can cut the joint with a handsaw if that makes sense.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I've been able to guide many to that jig and no one ever complained. Just a nice unit that gets elegance from its simplicity.Partly because it can be "thrown together" if desired--

Latest Threads