Scammed a tale of caution and stupidity... on my part

Have you ever been scammed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this happened to you.

This is the reason I don't buy guitars online from GC, Sam Ash, Reverb, or any online guitar forum classified.

I buy and sell locally because I can assess the situation properly.

So far it's worked out very good for me.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Mic-rez

Mat3186 operates out of Sydney and has a pretty good internet presence over a fairly long period of time. I think he may be associated with a music store. He should be very easy to track down. I suspect he is already back on both eBay and Reverb with a different ID.

To make this easier I would like some information from you. I guess the first thing is was this a genuine eBay transaction or did you take it off eBay? If not, have you reported the non-delivery of the guitar to eBay and what have they said so far? What correspondence did you have with Mat3186 and do you have any info on him you can send me about him?

Cheers

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering what your recourse is via the courts there? This might be worth pursuing.
Since the money was sent F&F he can probably just claim it was a gift.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I would think if one has all of the messages between buyer and seller that a judge would be skeptical that a gift was sent to a stranger for the same amount of money as the guitar.

judson

Reaction score
with all due respect to OP..

paypal , ebay, reverb, any online purchase can be dome with assurances for both parties IF you understand and follow their guidlines...there are no excuses not to, but if you do, you run the risk of someone maybe taking advantage of you...

sad lesson to learn and i would hope there still may be some relief for you..

i have done dozens of deals online and (knocking on mahogany wood) never had any issue of being scammed......

it is like most things online...user error :hmm:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Sorry that you got scammed, but seriously why would you ever send anyone that you don't know money without protection?

fry

Reaction score
Like I said in an earlier post, I have done similar things on both ends of the deal. I had stuff listed before, and received offers. I told the guy that I would only accept the offer if we did it outside of eBay, and he just sent the money straight to PayPal. Then I sent him the guitar. I did not realize, for whatever reason, what I was potentially opening myself up to. All the guy had to say was that he didn’t get it, and PayPal would’ve refunded his money. It did seem perfectly fine at the time, and now I can’t believe I did stuff like that.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pile on here and didn't comment last night, but there is so much wrong here from start to finish. Pretty much every step taken was the wrong one. In the end you got a guitar and paid a price so might as well live and learn and not dwell on it. I know its tough.

I got scammed by a Brandon Butler (@BBJack on Strat Talk) out of Shreveport, LA. Said he had a guitar I was after for a long time. Asked to pay him in weird ways. Should have been a red flag. Finally told him I was going to pay regular Paypal and nothing else. He took it and never heard from him again till I kept threatening him and he answered me back like I was in the wrong for threatening him. I did get my money back from Paypal.

He ran a business called Professional Pixels in Louisiana and since my transaction his business has closed, website is down, and he has multiple bad Google reviews. I know everything about this little fuckstick including his girlfriend, his friends, what he does for a living, what he does for hobbies. Everything. His time will come. I called the cops on him down there but after I called it in I didn't pursue it so I don't think anything ever happened.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

But live and learn, as they say.

fry

Reaction score
with all due respect to OP..

paypal , ebay, reverb, any online purchase can be dome with assurances for both parties IF you understand and follow their guidlines...there are no excuses not to, but if you do, you run the risk of someone maybe taking advantage of you...

sad lesson to learn and i would hope there still may be some relief for you..

i have done dozens of deals online and (knocking on mahogany wood) never had any issue of being scammed......

it is like most things online...user error :hmm:
This is pretty much the deal. Follow the guidelines, you’ll come out all right. If you try to shortcut or go around them to get away from paying fees, you will lose protection. As much as I’d like to say I hate PayPal, I have called them for help on a couple situations, and they will back you up. It’s a good feeling to know that they are there when you need them.

Mic-rez

Reaction score
Mic-rez

Mat3186 operates out of Sydney and has a pretty good internet presence over a fairly long period of time. I think he may be associated with a music store. He should be very easy to track down. I suspect he is already back on both eBay and Reverb with a different ID.

To make this easier I would like some information from you. I guess the first thing is was this a genuine eBay transaction or did you take it off eBay? If not, have you reported the non-delivery of the guitar to eBay and what have they said so far? What correspondence did you have with Mat3186 and do you have any info on him you can send me about him?

Cheers
This was a genuine transaction. But it was the paypal transaction was not through ebay. Mat had sent me a money request for the specified amount. I did file a claim through ebay for non-delivery. What ebay has done was just close mats account.

I do have his name.

Mic-rez

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I was driving at when I suggested he might’ve gone outside of their “rules“. Recommendations might be a more fitting word. There’s protection there, if you take advantage of it. I have done similar things, and looking back, I guess I’ve been lucky. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I wouldn’t do it now. There is a thing called PayPal credit, if you really want to pay in installments. It’s totally legit, and you even get 0% if you pay it off in six months on some purchases. And you would still get your protection. Like I said, I’ve done similar things as a buyer and a seller, back when I didn’t know any better. Thank goodness I didn’t get taken, but I’m a little wiser these days.
I've tried Paypal credit... I was approved for 300. But I now have it. I want to build it up.

Mic-rez

Reaction score
So, was the deal done outside of eBay? I know eBay and PayPal can be a pain in the ass, but if you follow all of their “rules“, they will cover your ass when somebody tries to scam you. I’ve never heard of a buyer not getting taken care of by eBay.
the transaction was through ebay. But the payment wasn't. Mat had sent a money request... and thats when I sent it as friends and family.
It negated the buyer protection from ebay. Paypal did say I had protection but its a lot of he said she said from both ebay and paypal.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
the transaction was through ebay. But the payment wasn't. Mat had sent a money request... and thats when I sent it as friends and family.
It negated the buyer protection from ebay. Paypal did say I had protection but its a lot of he said she said from both ebay and paypal.
Just out of curiosity.....how much was the transaction for?

judson

Reaction score
one last note about ebay...they track and will review all messages sent back and forth before and after a sale from both sides....so they do review those which is great if a problem comes up.

thats why you cant put certain things in the message like email address or phone numbers....its there to help you

believe me i always start a conversation with a seller so there is no doubt what was expected from each side and ebay or paypal can review it ...

i wonder if Reverb does that , i hope they do as i just started doing a few deals there :hmm:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, ebay has the ability to read every message between buyer and seller. This is a good thing should you find yourself with a nutball. I had one that won an auction I put up and then spent the next 2 weeks not only coming up with a million reasons why she couldn't pay yet, but cussing at me and being very abusive. And as the day would go on her messages became illiterate (drugs or alcohol most likely). Finally I had enough of this crap and called ebay to ask at what point could I get out of this sale since she hasn't paid either. They read our messages and cancelled her winning bid, helped me block her and saw she had left me negative feedback despite never even paying for the item, and erased that as well.

fry

Reaction score
Oh yeah, eBay is spying on your messages. I knew that, and my dumb ass still went and slipped up anyway. I had a guy that was local contact me about buying it outside of eBay and doing the deal in person, I said “sure thing, no problem!” I got contacted by eBay pretty quickly, and they slapped my wrist pretty good. Told me they could still charge me the final value fee since I used their site to make the deal. They didn’t do that, but they just want to let me know that they have the right to do it, and that they were going to be watching me for a while. Like I said, my dumb ass knew better, totally my fault.