Scammed a tale of caution and stupidity... on my part

Have you ever been scammed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mic-rez

Reaction score
Okay so first I hope its okay to post this here in the backstage. If not I'll take it down.

In November of last year I was on the search for a Les Paul.

A particular kind of model. The one with gold hardware, a bigsby, and a third humbucker.

I managed to find one that I just couldn't pass up.

A 2009 Les Paul custom black beauty with a factory bigsby.

It was being auctioned by an Ebayer by Mat3186.

I didnt want this to pass me by. So I without caution or sensibility of the ordeal. messaged mat3186 if I could pay the item in installments.
Mat agreed.

When I won the auction I made my series of payments.

I even opened a loan... which is paid off by now.

I had to tighten my belt for the rest of December.

It wasn't till February that I had finally paid the balance off.

I waited.

It was then I was getting anxious and worried. Had I been scammed?

out of paranoia I asked PayPal for a refund. unfortunately that goes without saying. I was denied.

because initially when Mat sent me a money request I had selected for FRIENDS&FAMILY.

Paypal then told me I had to contact the person I sent the money to.

it was then Mat had received the notice that I opened a case for a refund.

apparently it had done something to Mats own paypal account.

But had insured that when the payment hold was released he would send the guitar.

I waited yet again.

April came and I tried to contact mat via email.

needless to say he never contacted me back.

I got super depressed about this. I worked extra hours. ate ramen cups for like 3 weeks. every penny that I had, I funneled to Mat.

I did send a request for the money back. With a message. in hope that he'd contact me.

Now its June.

I have been scammed in the past but they were never as heartbreaking as this.
to be promised a guitar that you love. only to find it was never there.

I'm still kicking myself but I learned something in all this. Dont buy guitars from overseas unless you got buyers protection... or can go the country in question. IDK...

I did however recoup from this somewhat. https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-les-paul-black-beauty.426256/

A Texas man sold it to me. he was very generous and gave me a week to pay.
I didn't want to lose this one. So I pawned my guitars, sold some amps, and... borrowed from my Dad.

I just really can't believe that Mat3186 had so much positive feedback.

Guess you really can't judge a book by its cover.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
So do those Chinese 3rd party eBay people. It's crazy

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apologies for any inconvenience caused or miscommunication, full refund given ©

Teledan

Reaction score
Fixed that for you. ;)
Yes, I never use the “Friends and Family” option unless I am sending money to my actual family or close friends.

Sucks man. I had a similar issue with an eBay auction a while back . Luckily I got my money back.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Meaning anybody, unless it is an actual friend or family member.

If someone is selling something that I want to buy and the seller wants PP Gift or Friends and Family I will eat the Paypal fees so I have that protection.
I just don’t mess with PayPal anymore because they’ve made it quite obvious that the “buyer” can get away with pretty much anything and still get their money back.. with almost zero protection for sellers.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don’t mess with PayPal anymore because they’ve made it quite obvious that the “buyer” can get away with pretty much anything and still get their money back.. with almost zero protection for sellers.
I hear you SAS. It is too bad that some buyers can't be trusted just as some sellers can't be trusted. The problem is people find out the hard way, which is, being out financially.

Last edited:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Sorry to read about that man, I feel for you, but very happy that you now have something that's probably even better than what you thought your were paying for! I feel that something like this could easily happen to any one of us seeing as we're all driven by GAS and emotions to jump on our 'dream guitar' quickly for fear of missing it. I guess in the big scheme of things there's always going to be plenty out there that would satisfy our needs and lustings, if we miss an auction it's really no big deal as something else will very likely come along.

Seems like you have learned from the experience though, kudos to you and all the best

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
So, was the deal done outside of eBay? I know eBay and PayPal can be a pain in the ass, but if you follow all of their “rules“, they will cover your ass when somebody tries to scam you. I’ve never heard of a buyer not getting taken care of by eBay.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
So, was the deal done outside of eBay? I know eBay and PayPal can be a pain in the ass, but if you follow all of their “rules“, they will cover your ass when somebody tries to scam you. I’ve never heard of a buyer not getting taken care of by eBay.
He sent it friends and family, he has NO protection.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
He sent it friends and family, he has NO protection.
Yeah, that’s what I was driving at when I suggested he might’ve gone outside of their “rules“. Recommendations might be a more fitting word. There’s protection there, if you take advantage of it. I have done similar things, and looking back, I guess I’ve been lucky. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I wouldn’t do it now. There is a thing called PayPal credit, if you really want to pay in installments. It’s totally legit, and you even get 0% if you pay it off in six months on some purchases. And you would still get your protection. Like I said, I’ve done similar things as a buyer and a seller, back when I didn’t know any better. Thank goodness I didn’t get taken, but I’m a little wiser these days.