Scale length

Shiloh77

Reaction score
From th a nut to the twelth fret on my 81 deluxe is. 12 1/4 so doubled is 24 1/2. Anyone else have a scale length like. This?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Measure from the bridge to the nut and see what you get.
The trouble is that the bridge-to-nut measurement will vary slightly depending on which string (or saddle) that you measure. I guess that you could take an average of some kind, but I'm pretty sure that guitar makers double the distance from the nut to the 12th fret to calculate the scale length because of this.

Brek

Reaction score
I was reading a guitar techs web page and he made a statement that Gibson Les pauls have different scale lengths before and after the 12th fret, never ever read or heard that anywhere before. Couldn’t be arsed to measure and check mine.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I was reading a guitar techs web page and he made a statement that Gibson Les pauls have different scale lengths before and after the 12th fret, never ever read or heard that anywhere before. Couldn’t be arsed to measure and check mine.
Fret spacings are ratios, fractions of the octave, and there are several ways to calculate fret spacing -- which all give slightly different results.

Again depending on era, model, and factory, Gibson has and does use different fret spacing. And sometimes different spacing higher up on the neck.

So you can take two (nominally 24 3/4") Gibsons and put them fretboard to fretboard and have the frets not match up perfectly even if the bridge is the same distance from the nut. (Of course if the bridge is farther from the nut the frets won't match up, even if both used the same spacing formula.)

It's kind of random which formula they use, but it's not sloppiness. Whichever formula (or mix of formulas) they use, they place the frets precisely and consistently where the formula(s) require. No guitar with 12 frets per octave can ever be perfectly in tune at all frets. So the slightly different fret spacings aren't very significant. Some intervals will be a little closer to in tune, some intervals a little more out of tune, but it all sort of evens out.

Brek

Reaction score
I wonder if this is what some people refer to as when they ‘it’s all in the fingers’ as in some players can naturally without conscious effort, fret and correct those small variances in tuning accuracy? I remember learning the opening riff for SCoM and whist I could play it, at tempo, in time, with the right notes fretted, it sounded like a dying cat as they say. Now, years later I play it and it sounds great. Gives me chills whenever I play it though, takes me right back to the late 80’s when everything Rocked!

Shiloh77

Reaction score
From my nut to the centerof the 12 fret is 12 1/4, if you measure from nut to the very edge of 12th its 12 and 5/16, which would make it 24 1/2 or 24 5/8....

Shiloh77

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking time to respond to me, would love to talk guitars, anytime...

Crusader

Reaction score
Gibson use the Rule of 18 on their electric guitars, which calculates to 12.28" at the 12th fret

Latest Threads