Scale length on replacement neck is to spec!

Brek

Reaction score
50F41268-9891-4218-9510-B67FA210F1E6.jpeg
C978CA51-C0E1-4F33-BD96-6085FBA59F32.jpeg
So got around to fitting the neck properly on the tele, when I got it I am sure I checked scale length against existing one and it was spot on. So I test fit, clamp it, line up the outer strings for alignment, get them spot on, convert from a three screw to a four screw joint 2 new holes drilled and screwed in fully. I measure scale length to set up basic intonation by the numbers, and it’s 64.7cm (12th fret doubled). I am like how the hell did I miss that? So annoyed, if I had checked again before the drilling I might have moved the neck in a bit as could have drilled all new holes in body as the ones drilled by maker were off a couple of mm. So now what? Going to string up and see if there is enough travel on saddles to intonate otherwise it’s move the bridge a few mm. I don’t want to send it back as it’s a lovely neck, slim and narrow, but, damn. Yeah it’s a tele they’re not supposed to intonate.

Last edited:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Isn't 64.7 mm about 2.5 inches? Should it be cm?

Brek

Reaction score
:rofl: Yes it should be cm. damn metric system,

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
So I believe that translates to 25.5"? Which should be OK right?

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Maybe that’s what the guy that built the neck did, I would lol, but it’s not funny. Kicking myself for not checking one last time, the slight difference in scale ain’t a biggie, but moving the bridge is probably more work than makes sense to do.
How much is the scale length off by?

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that’s what the guy that built the neck did, I would lol, but it’s not funny. Kicking myself for not checking one last time, the slight difference in scale ain’t a biggie, but moving the bridge is probably more work than makes sense to do.
So the difference is 25.472" and 25.5"? That is 0.028" or 0.711mm. You did not measure that exactly, so how can you say it is off less than 3/4 of 1mm? Am I missing something here?

Regards Peter.

Brek

Reaction score
Peter how do you mean ‘did not measure that exactly’ I don’t follow what you mean. I measured exactly the last time and have checked again since, also aligned old and new neck and the frets drift apart towards to body, don’t know how I missed it first time.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m confused, is the fret spacing off on the fretboard itself, or is it the neck to body that’s off?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the scale from the 1st fret to the 13th and from the 13th to the bridge. Maybe the nut is not located properly?

But ya... if it's only off by 0.7mm, it should intonate.
Note that the scale lengths are not exactly 24.75 or 25.5 anyways. That's just the nominal measurement. IIRC, Gibsons are actually a touch shorter, and it is VERY common for people to complain about running out of intonation adjustment on Fenders bottoming out the saddles... needing a little more length.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peter how do you mean ‘did not measure that exactly’ I don’t follow what you mean. I measured exactly the last time and have checked again since, also aligned old and new neck and the frets drift apart towards to body, don’t know how I missed it first time.
You are off by 0.071 cm or 3/4mm. How did you measure that so exactly? In order to measure that exactly you would have to measure exactly to the middle of the fret and also perfectly down the centerline of the fret board from the nut. Then you would multiply that x2. What did you measure 647 mm with? A tape measure is not able to measure with that accuracy. Even a digital caliper that is worth thousands of $$$ probably couldn't get that close with that type of measurement. The point being if you measured 647mm that is exactly right on the scale length you want.

Regards Peter.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
also aligned old and new neck and the frets drift apart towards to body, don’t know how I missed it first time.
If the frets are at different spacing then they are not the same scale length. If the difference is 0.71mm you are more than fine. I would propose you cannot measure accurately enough to say they are off by that amount over 647mm. It's impossible.

Regards Peter.

Brek

Reaction score
ah ok i understand now, it was measured what i call an engineers rule. A thick steel rule, with distance starting at the very end, not in by a few mm, so that was pushed against nut, had my x3.5 small detail glasses on and a magnifying glass to attempt as close as i could to dead center on the 12th, if it's not that far out then i am happy that no extra work needed.

ARandall

Reaction score
So wait, you knew you were out by barely 1mm and you still thought that the amount was out by too much for the intonation screws to be able to accommodate for :eek2:

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah ok i understand now, it was measured what i call an engineers rule. A thick steel rule, with distance starting at the very end, not in by a few mm, so that was pushed against nut, had my x3.5 small detail glasses on and a magnifying glass to attempt as close as i could to dead center on the 12th, if it's not that far out then i am happy that no extra work needed.
Scale length and fret spacing is not exact exact. Actually when you tune open the other notes are all slightly off. The closest possible way to get perfect notes at each fret is by using true temperament fret spacing. Like this -
Capture.JPG

Your bridge saddles are adjustable as well and should move at least 3 - 5mm. You will be fine.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its odd this thread has been started, given the OP has been contributing to a thread in the Norlin section in the last week where just these same aspects of inaccuracy have been discussed.

Brek

Reaction score
Haha, very true, I did not put two and two together for what was discussed in that post in relation to my neck. I have a very poor short term memory which frustrates me no end, so often I have been told an answer, only to have no recollection of it even a week later.

Latest Threads