Satin/Worn/Faded Finishes & sunshine

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Hi,

my Signature Player Plus Les Paul does have a white binding around the body and it's neck... Would ca 80 hours of sunshine help to get more cream-bindings? They binding should be finished, isn't it? So it should "yellow" at least a bit, I guess?!

Here in Germany the westher isn't that hot so I guess that 25-28° and sunshine isn't that dangerous (glued components).

Any LP'ers with a little experience regarding yellowing the white bindings?

Thank you!
René

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I’ve never intentionally left a guitar in the sun but I do have guitars on stands that have been out for years. The Binding will get a little yellower over time but it’s very subtle. 80 hours probably won’t do much in terms of yellowing.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Smoke while you play and it will yellow faster.

Binding takes a while. I have gibbys 50-60 years old and the binding is not that yellow.

You can always use the brown shoe polish paste method, and tint it so to speak.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Sigaret smoke
Sweat and other body gunk from playing
Never clean it

It works for my 2008 Les Paul Custom, but that's after 10 years so not really fast progress.

Sunlight might fade the color more than it yellows the binding so be carefull. Also cover the fretboard because UV light makes rosewood turn grey.

I like experiments so I say: try it, why not. Just keep in mind there might be unwanted side effects or damage and you gotta be okay with that.

I'm not a big fan of shoe polish and other artificial stuff.

I do know sigaret smoke does wonders. I've always wanted to make some sort of test rig where I put a Les Paul in a box and make some device that smokes sigarets and traps the smoke in the box and see how much I can yellow it. It will smell like an ashtray afterwards so sigaret smoke is not ideal either.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Thank you.

At least it doesn't need to be a dark, yellow'd binding. It just shouldn't be a bright white binding so cream-coloured hardware would fit a bit better... :-D

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
And I think it begins already as I can see a spot on the neck-binding where my thumb could have touched it. :-D

Latest Threads