Santana Fans?

Dilver

Reaction score
I put on Santana III after not listening to it in a long while. I was a big fan years ago… the screaming Hammond organ, super tight rhythm section, high energy jams and Carlos’s fiery playing and tone were just killer. The early stuff was great but almost all of his work from his later years especially after he started playing a PRS, just doesn’t do it for me as his tone became supernaturally sh#tty (come at me PRS guys) and all the collaborations gave radio play but were pretty cheesy. He played a Gibson SG with P90s, Yamaha SG2000s and even a bunch of Les Pauls throughout his career. Wish he’d go back to Gibson…

I love the end of this one…

Matt_21

Reaction score
I agree with you @Dilver . His early stuff was good. Then he started playing the same lick over every song and had to start doing those albums where every song featured someone else doing all the work.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
Seems like he stopped growing as a player after the ''jazz'' era..Welcome and Caravansari were great records ..seems like he was listening to alice coltrane and pharaoh sanders a bunch.. then he reverted back to the stuff that made him some money..that interview with dan rather..cat is a real space case.. too much acid? yeah i know..i'm a jaded old grouch! love the early stuff, big influence on my playing back then for sure.. God Bless him.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
His spaciest periods coincided with my spaciest periods, so it all seems good to me. Keeps on growing.
He’s a National Treasure. Plays from his heart.
You know it’s him from the first note, no matter what era or guitar.

Tollie

Reaction score
I had a couple of double cut Les Pauls and I loved them. One day, I thought I should try a PRS Santana since it’s pretty similar to the double cut LP.

My PRS Santana II has a much bigger neck, possibly the fattest neck I’ve ever had. The Brazilian rosewood fretboard is gorgeous. The tremolo is fantastic. I love everything about the guitar, except the pickups. I changed those.

NotScott

Reaction score
I never cared much for his early Gibson tone. It was a little too ratty and dated for my ears.

He sure made those Yamahas sing though!

His PRS tone didn't quite have that same midrange thickness that the Yamahas had but they sounded clearer than the Yamahas.

NotScott

Reaction score
I had a couple of double cut Les Pauls and I loved them. One day, I thought I should try a PRS Santana since it’s pretty similar to the double cut LP.

My PRS Santana II has a much bigger neck, possibly the fattest neck I’ve ever had. The Brazilian rosewood fretboard is gorgeous. The tremolo is fantastic. I love everything about the guitar, except the pickups. I changed those.

I have a 25th Anniversarry Santana 3 and I agree with everything you said. It has a huge, 50s style Gibby neck, a trem that actually stays in tune and will sustain for days. For the particular show that this picture was taken at, the Santana was my primary guitar, The JB was the backup.

i1INlDo.jpg

I think PRS still unfairly suffers from the doctor/lawyer, collector/jammer stigma. That is a shame as they are fine, unique instruments that are built to a very high standard.

meatball

Reaction score
I have a 25th Anniversarry Santana 3 and I agree with everything you said. It has a huge, 50s style Gibby neck, a trem that actually stays in tune and will sustain for days. For the particular show that this picture was taken at, the Santana was my primary guitar, The JB was the backup.

i1INlDo.jpg

I think PRS still unfairly suffers from the doctor/lawyer, collector/jammer stigma. That is a shame as they are fine, unique instruments that are built to a very high standard.
You ever seen the collection of PRS guitars that Tom Johnston from the Doobie Brothers uses ? He must have 10 of them .

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I always liked the look of the PRS Santana model best of all the PRS guitars , I wish they did one with a thinner neck , I can't manage the big necks LP's or what ever. More of a strat player these days and I like my R/O best out of my LPs. Carlos taught us how to play in the minor keys..I hear he is doing a record with Clapton..good for them.

NotScott

Reaction score
You ever seen the collection of PRS guitars that Tom Johnston from the Doobie Brothers uses ? He must have 10 of them .

I can't say I have but, PRS are certainly pro-grade instruments.

I wouldn't say I am a fan of PRS. In fact, I can't play most of their guitars due to their neck shapes. However, this particular model with its particular specs and features fit a need I had in my lineup and it just sounds and plays killer. It is also very comfortable lugging around a stage all night. There is not a current production Les Paul that I would even consider trading it for.

truckermde

Reaction score
I think he's fantastic.

I saw him do a big set at Mile High stadium at a one-day Dead show. He started at about noon, and the Dead went on around dark. This was circa 1990 or so. Maybe a year or two later.

Freakin' amazing show. His bass player played Hendrix's "Little Wing" as a solo, and it blew my mind. I was probably on acid or something, being a Grateful Dead show.

Anyway, I count myself as fortunate to have been there. :)

:cheers2:

Big Dik

Reaction score
Saw the Santana Reunion Tour in 1980, and then in Las Vegas in 2016. What's not to like?

Latest Threads