"Sandy" at Guitar Shop Taiwan

agogeter

Reaction score
Indeed, what a pain..... :laugh2:
haha this guitar should be run through a nasty tube pre amp into a dimed marshall played by a poodle haired shredder rocker dude. i liked the lead guitar of the dude in winger. let him have a go of it.. that guy could make this les paul slay

agogeter

Reaction score
This is my point exactly!

You can have a closet full of vintage guitars and never sound any better because of it. You sound like you no matter what.

The les paul fantasy of old guitars being the benchmark of tone, goes out the window when you can't drive that ship like jimmy page.

I once had a 54 goldtop, thought I was going to reap the benefits of vintage mojo. Then I realized it was just me playing through a different guitar. I sold it and put the money towards paying off my house at the time. I don't regret it.

What I realized was my ears had gotten used to a good sounding historic being the benchmark of les paul tone, and I had to readjust my perception based on old wood vs. new.

The difference in what I sounded like was not worth the extra money to me.

Now I am still a big fan of old guitars, I have a bunch leftover, but they sound like me, not my heroes.

This particular guitar that Tom sold is more of an infamous instrument than anything else, and for 475000 I would have sold it as well, thrown in a free tubescreamer too!
i think the big misconception is that everyone wanted an old les paul or strat like their 'hero' played. or after seeing the beatles. the fact is back then,when you walked into a store to buy a guitar fender and gibson were about all that was around.. with a smattering of mosrite gretsch microfret.. whatever. its just that these were the good guitars that were available. i knew a strat was good because a lot of guys on albums used them. i didnt want to be just like one dude, worship him and have a shrine with candles for him. it was all about what was available that wasnt a piece of junk.
i think 475k for sandy was a bargain. i would have held out for 750. people that dont have money dont understand money. the guy that has money knows the price may have different numbers he will be writing on the check. just different numbers thats all. i get it. and these types usually do well with investments. unless of course they are buying a chinchilla farm in calcutta

boola1

Reaction score
It looks great but I'm not blown away by the tone. The PAF/50s Les Paul sound is definitely there, it just doesn't have great sustain or harmonic content.

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
it sounded pretty good when Joe Bonamassa was playing it ...

boola1

Reaction score
it sounded pretty good when Joe Bonamassa was playing it ...
It definitely helped being played through good amps, VERY loud, PAFs sounding great but still not lots of sustain. Sometimes notes just seemed to choke and die.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice sounding guitar, it's just I've heard a couple of other 59s that to me sound a better and possibly almost worth the money. When a guitar is this expensive, I think it's OK to be super critical.

I'm sure JB would've been offered this guitar before it was eventually sold. Given the amazing top on it, I can only think that he decided he preferred bursts that already has over this one.

Last edited:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When a guitar is this expensive, I think it's OK to be super critical.
When a guitar is this expensive, it better have a KILLER top.

This one has the best.

sensei chimär

Reaction score
No affiliation but nice pics and video. Original 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard 9-1228 "Sandy" being played at a guitar shop in Taiwan.

Looks like a re-issue, as after seeing tons of 58's, 59's & 60's, and dozens of guitar shows, none, absolutely none had a finish as "new" as this! Sorry purely going by what is shown, even the pups look like my 2009 standard and the case is pristine, just don't believe it is "sandy" as I have seen pictured in Fretboard Journal in a past issue.

Last edited:

sensei chimär

Reaction score
I talked to Mason from guitar shop Taiwan little bit after he got the guitar, he gave me the number he paid, and I’m supposed to keep it to myself.
I’m not sure if that number was real but it was beyond me.
Sorry, I just don't believe it! I've seen "sandy" and can dig through my photo gallery as this guitar is not what it is claimed to be and I will return with pics after I search my gallery. I read an article within the last few years, featured by a journalist writing for Fretboard Journal, an in depth analysis of several bursts, well known bursts, "sandy" among them, and that guitar did not shine in such a pristine manner, and the pups were covered, so I just don't see this as the real deal. Plus, a secret sum of purchase, just too many red flags, sorry but not convinced...Roger in Stockholm

sensei chimär

Reaction score
That is a 100% rock solid priceless comment from Chet. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I should put this in the Historic Section.

:cheers2:
Chet had wisdom built over decades of living, and learning, just as we must do and work toward every day we live!

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't believe it! I've seen "sandy" and can dig through my photo gallery as this guitar is not what it is claimed to be and I will return with pics after I search my gallery. I read an article within the last few years, featured by a journalist writing for Fretboard Journal, an in depth analysis of several bursts, well known bursts, "sandy" among them, and that guitar did not shine in such a pristine manner, and the pups were covered, so I just don't see this as the real deal. Plus, a secret sum of purchase, just too many red flags, sorry but not convinced...Roger in Stockholm
I see conspiracy theories have now made their way into the vintage guitar world.

sensei chimär

Reaction score
I see conspiracy theories have now made their way into the vintage guitar world.
Right! Your'e brilliant, I'm either a troll or a conspiracy theorist, must be so, as a differing opinion is not often welcomed, and deserves a negative reply ... it was just simple opinion based on a less than superb video. Also, it does not appear to have been played a lot, as stated. It shows no wear of any kind...just doesn't point in direction of a 60 year old LP. Unless it was in a case under the bed, or in a vault.

scrumm21

Reaction score
Right! Your'e brilliant, I'm either a troll or a conspiracy theorist, must be so, as a differing opinion is not often welcomed, and deserves a negative reply ... it was just simple opinion based on a less than superb video. Also, it does not appear to have been played a lot, as stated. It shows no wear of any kind...just doesn't point in direction of a 60 year old LP. Unless it was in a case under the bed, or in a vault.
LOL
You joined 2 days ago and are now pronouncing that differing opinions are "not often welcomed" Now That's Funny, I don't care who ya are.

Yeah, if someone flames ya for stating you think your guitar sounds better after top wrapping then you may have a point....
This ain't the same thing

Here.....Even tho it ain't Friday, have some cake
20200315_162854.jpg

sensei chimär

Reaction score
LOL
You joined 2 days ago and are now pronouncing that differing opinions are "not often welcomed" Now That's Funny, I don't care who ya are.

Yeah, if someone flames ya for stating you think your guitar sounds better after top wrapping then you may have a point....
This ain't the same thing

Here.....Even tho it ain't Friday, have some :cool2:
ms. Scumm21, I’ve been here for years, changed profile & password, hence I’m new to you, & you find it a negative when supposedly I just dropped in with a view that upsets you enough that you wish to belittle me based on a 2 day old updated profile? You show yourself to be a small minded immature forum dweller...no person flamed me, only you took offence that I dare question the validity of One LP...sorry for you hard to be so petty, about such a minor thing, must give you problems on a daily basis, read and learn as mature people can disagree. This is me, not flaming you.

scrumm21

Reaction score
Ms scrumm21...... lol

man you really put me in my place

Hats off

...btw, I just retired and am livin the dream...literally... another post on that in the works ....

(p.s. But who knows, you could be right !! but I don't think any of my previous 1900 posts would validate your in-depth psychiatric analysis of Who I Am on This forum )

sensei chimär

Reaction score
I would never presume I could psyco analyyze anyone certainly not based on a disagreement on a forum...since we are in such a terrible global crises that is beyond comprehension
and is consuming people in evey count; our country is so divided, disrupted, and in an unreconizable sad situation, more of a concern than a disagreement. Retirement is not the dream I pictured...more to do :eek2: now than when I worked.

Latest Threads