"Sandy" at Guitar Shop Taiwan

Barnaby

Reaction score
I honestly don't get why people are criticizing the playing at all. I watched the video after reading some comments on here, so I was imagining he was terrible. However it sounds fine. Nice blues playing, good phrasing, solid tone.

I have a personal rule to not bash anyone who is a better player than I am, and that guy in the video definitely is.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't get why people are criticizing the playing at all. I watched the video after reading some comments on here, so I was imagining he was terrible. However it sounds fine. Nice blues playing, good phrasing, solid tone.

I have a personal rule to not bash anyone who is a better player than I am, and that guy in the video definitely is.
You obviously don't know that, around these parts, the quality of playing needs to be in direct correlation to the price of the guitar. ;)

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
Sandy is beautiful and no doubt a great guitar but I'm perfectly happy with my laminated fretboard 2012 R9. Such fantastic sustain in it.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how deep the carve looks on Sandy? In the video, the light reflected off the top makes the cut look deeper than usual and more concave near the edge. The carve seems to go well below the binding before coming up to the edge. I know these were all hand carved and sanded back in the day so maybe some carves were deeper than others? I'm sure the Bursts were all unique, and none came out exactly the same. That being said, what an amazing guitar!

Last edited:

jlb32

Reaction score
It sounds good in the video but the sound is nothing spectacular IMO. Maybe it's the video/recording or maybe not?? Maybe the "holy grail" lore of the originals??

There are "Sandy" reissue videos that sound better to me.

Oh well, regardless, I would LOVE to have the original too!!

Victory Pete

Reaction score
I disagree about the guitar will only sound like yourself. I bought my first Historic 18 months ago, 2018 RO. Its sound is so much different than my 2 USA Les Pauls. It has "Snap Crackle Pop". It makes me play differently for sure. I just bought another with a later serial number and it sounds exactly like my first one, which is good because the first one is getting a Bigsby on it. I agree Sandy doesn't seem to have this "Snap Crackle Pop"

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
I have a theory about why Sandy went to Asia. There is a phenom player named Sungha Jung. Guy has over 6 million subscribers on youtube.

Before long, Sungha could be playing Sandy and this, in turn, could elevate the price of the guitar. Remember, there are many billionaires in the Far East, and what better rare collectible could they invest in today?

LeonC

Reaction score
It sounds good in the video but the sound is nothing spectacular IMO. Maybe it's the video/recording or maybe not?? Maybe the "holy grail" lore of the originals??

There are "Sandy" reissue videos that sound better to me.

Oh well, regardless, I would LOVE to have the original too!!

Yeah I agree. In the video, the sound is just not that great--there's nothing wrong with it...but there's nothing particularly wonderful, nothing really special either, IMO. Now, that Les Paul may very well be one of the finest sounding Les Pauls ever (I have no way of knowing). And there's nothing wrong with the guy's playing. It's just not that great of a sound, IMO. I too have heard plenty of videos of other LP sunbursts (some vintage, some reissues) that I thought sounded a lot better. Hell half of the LPs Greg Koch demos in his Wildwood videos sound better than Sandy in that video.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
That is as pretty a top as I've ever seen on an original 'burst or any other guitar, for that matter.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Its strange,during the video of the guitar being played,the guitar is strung traditionally.But the static photos of the guitar show it “Top wrapped” maby it is the CC model,that looks soo glossy,im watching be played

Truth011

Reaction score
That is a killer looking guitar! As for the video what more could you expect for the sound in that format.