"Sandy" at Guitar Shop Taiwan

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sandy sure is a beauty but dang the sound. Yea I know about the YT compression and stuff. But I have listened to Vintage LP's played on YT vids that you could tell were special. Nothing special soncially on the vid here.

PierM

Reaction score
I thought it sounded like an average historic
Of course it does, but for a quarter of a million, better to believe it sounds like da voice of God. :thumb:

Sandy sure is a beauty but dang the sound. Yea I know about the YT compression and stuff. But I have listened to Vintage LP's played on YT vids that you could tell were special. Nothing special soncially on the vid here.
Most of the tone it’s still in the fingers, and that player sucks big time.

GearHo

Reaction score
Of course it does, but for a quarter of a million, better to believe it sounds like da voice of God. :thumb:

Most of the tone it’s still in the fingers, and that player sucks big time.

This is my point exactly!

You can have a closet full of vintage guitars and never sound any better because of it. You sound like you no matter what.

The les paul fantasy of old guitars being the benchmark of tone, goes out the window when you can't drive that ship like jimmy page.

I once had a 54 goldtop, thought I was going to reap the benefits of vintage mojo. Then I realized it was just me playing through a different guitar. I sold it and put the money towards paying off my house at the time. I don't regret it.

What I realized was my ears had gotten used to a good sounding historic being the benchmark of les paul tone, and I had to readjust my perception based on old wood vs. new.

The difference in what I sounded like was not worth the extra money to me.

Now I am still a big fan of old guitars, I have a bunch leftover, but they sound like me, not my heroes.

This particular guitar that Tom sold is more of an infamous instrument than anything else, and for 475000 I would have sold it as well, thrown in a free tubescreamer too!

PierM

Reaction score

You can have a closet full of vintage guitars and never sound any better because of it. You sound like you no matter what.

The les paul fantasy of old guitars being the benchmark of tone, goes out the window when you can't drive that ship like jimmy page.

I once had a 54 goldtop, thought I was going to reap the benefits of vintage mojo. Then I realized it was just me playing through a different guitar. I sold it and put the money towards paying off my house at the time. I don't regret it.

What I realized was my ears had gotten used to a good sounding historic being the benchmark of les paul tone, and I had to readjust my perception based on old wood vs. new.

Now I am still a big fan of old guitars, I have a bunch leftover, but they sound like me, not my heroes.

This particular guitar that Tom sold is more of an infamous instrument than anything else, and for 475000 I would have sold it as well, thrown in a free tubescreamer too!
Yep.

The guitar player that I admire most, it's Bill Frisell. I follow and study him, since his first public works.

Along all these decades, I've seen him playing any kind of shit. From Strats to any kind of semi Gibson, or Telly, or Klein, or SGs, a Nash custom model, full hollows with minis, couple of jaguars, couple of thinlines, a bunch of ES-175, 335, Andersen archtops...really, any kind of possible guitar in this earth. And all of this, plugged into an infinite variations of amps, pedals and little toys.

The best thing here is that the guy play 99% of the time clean as a piece of lead glass, so there's nothing you can hide, no cheat shit.

Guess what? The sounds it's always Bill Frisell, doesn't really fucking matter. I could recognize him even if he'd play a 44$ bolt-on Epiphone, plugged into a fridge. Isn't only recon by style, it's the damn tone. It's really in his fingers.

I always wondered how he would have sounded with a Les Paul...then a day I've seen a short video of him, with an original Burst in his hands...and here we go. Sounded like Bill Frisell, not really like a Burst in the hands of whatever blues noodling master you typically see in those '59 test youtubes.

So, that's it for me.

But I also like to lurk these vintage guitars, they are gorgeous looking. Nothing more than that for me. :)

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Tell us about that $25k motorcycle you have posted in your avatar. Does it get to the store faster? Do you drive better than when on a low-end Honda?

Or does it not matter, because it's your money, and YOU like it?

GearHo

Reaction score
Tell us about that $25k motorcycle you have posted in your avatar. Does it get to the store faster? Do you drive better than when on a low-end Honda?

Or does it not matter, because it's your money, and YOU like it?

That motorcycle cost me 7 k used it's a 97 Electra Glide it does not get me to the store faster, does not drive better than my old Honda shadow. Just like your 59 les,paul does not make YOU sound better.

Comparing a 7 k motorcycle to a six figure guitar is ridiculous your smarter than that.

Believe me I would love to own your guitar, but I will never feed into the over priced justification of tonal superiority.

Its your money and if YOU like it who gives a shit if I don't?

Last edited:

PierM

Reaction score
OH - and my burst DOES make me sound better.
Seems not working with Mason... :thumb:

Just joking. Take it easy guys, we are just having fun with it.

For me isn't that different from kids buying a Lambo Huracan and then crashing into a fence. Same way, isn't car you drive that makes you a Formula One driver. Life is a bitch. :hippie:

GearHo

Reaction score
EXACTLY my point. I'm sure Mason doesn't care. So why spend time in a vintage guitar forum questioning the spending habits or "ear" of someone else.

OH - and my burst DOES make me sound better. Just ask my bass player. ;)
Here is my point , it's not the guitar that sounds good it's the guy playing it, and this Mason guy proves my point. His six figure guitar doesn't sound any better in his hands than any other guitar.

Your burst doesn' make you sound better practice does.

Mickey_C

Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't fake Sandy, one of the most well-documented and coveted guitars in the world. Just flip open BoTB and compare the grain.

And you wouldn't be buying Sandy to play, so the price vs a Historic is meaningless; Sandy is the iconic '59 burst - the ultimate collector's guitar.

Comanche

Reaction score
I can go $1200 on that one. We get them in here all the time.

Latest Threads