Sam Ash is blowing out 2015 Gibsons

bigtone

Reaction score
Whats the neck like on yours? I just ordered one after chatting with a online CS agent who said they still had lots of them despite the backorder notice. We'll see if they are able to fulfill it or not i guess. I would have gone with the double cut or junior but they both had slim taper necks where the less plus had 'rounded' listed as it's neck spec.

I had a custom lite and it was killer except for that skinny neck.
Mine has a 50's neck. Even though it's the wider fingerboard, the neck feels great. I got it for a great price so I figured if I didn't like it I would flip it, but it plays great. I added the second tone pot and essentially eliminated the 50's wiring which took away the overly bright tone.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . .

I was told that they were looking to do a big sale, contacted Gibson and purchased every 2015 they had in these models. He wouldn't give me a number, but made it clear there's a lot.
. . .
. . . yellow special but it showed out of stock. . . .
That Les Paul Less+ is an absolutely incredible deal at $1000. Too bad it's gone now; had I seen this in time I would have bought one. . . . .
. . . I just ordered one after chatting with a online CS agent who said they still had lots of them despite the backorder notice. . . .
Okay, some idle, unfounded speculation:

They have several models listed as "more arriving soon." With one model, more are expected on August 8th. It seems like all this stock was just sitting in a Gibson warehouse somewhere and it will take a little time for the whole order to get shipped to Sam Ash.

So if you want one, you should call them up and ask. Sam Ash probably just announced the whole sale before they received all the guitars.

It just makes me shake my head, thinking that Gibson did no market research, sprang this 2015 range on unsuspecting Gibson buyers, and ended up with so much leftover stock that we're seeing it enter the market two years later.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, some idle, unfounded speculation:

They have several models listed as "more arriving soon." With one model, more are expected on August 8th. It seems like all this stock was just sitting in a Gibson warehouse somewhere and it will take a little time for the whole order to get shipped to Sam Ash.

So if you want one, you should call them up and ask. Sam Ash probably just announced the whole sale before they received all the guitars.

It just makes me shake my head, thinking that Gibson did no market research, sprang this 2015 range on unsuspecting Gibson buyers, and ended up with so much leftover stock that we're seeing it enter the market two years later.
Not sure how this may reflect the current status, but mine (Jr.) is showing as delivery on Wednesday (8/9). If that is true (and we all know that Tracking NEVER lies), mine had to have Shipped on Saturday, as my notice from Sam Ash shows. They may have had SOME of the stock, and are now just waiting on re-supply ?

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . . mine (Jr.) is showing as delivery on Wednesday (8/9). . . . They may have had SOME of the stock, and are now just waiting on re-supply . . .
Yeah, you got a Junior, just like me. I chose Vintage Sunburst. Mine is due on Wednesday, too. (We can post twin NGD threads, ha!)

The Juniors were definitely in-stock. So were the Specials. I'm just commenting that it was curious that they posted this 2015 sale and from the very beginning, there were some listed as "more expected soon." I thought at first they'd sold out, but I'm thinking that Sam Ash simply hasn't received them and just went ahead and announced the sale without receiving all the stock.

Assault Bacon

Reaction score
To my way of thinking, the 2015 debacle was not due to a shortfall in research, but rather a surplus in arrogance.

"We're Gibson. They'll eat what we feed them."

TheWelder

Reaction score
At that price I'd just whip out the debit card and done with it.

Only a self-conscious player is going to worry about what's on the front of a headstock.
Way to generalize. For what it's worth, I'm pretty confident in my ability to play guitar, and I have no issue playing Epiphones, MIM Fenders, etc. at gigs.

I'm just not interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a guitar that has something I find aesthetically ugly. There's a reason why there are so many of these new old stock '15s still around.

RichBrew

Reaction score
... There's a reason why there are so many of these new old stock '15s still around.
Possibly because there are so many self-conscious potential buyers still out there?

For what it's worth, I have never bought a guitar based on its colour or other adornments, but then that's not why I buy them in the first place.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Possibly because there are so many self-conscious potential buyers still out there?

For what it's worth, I have never bought a guitar based on its colour or other adornments, but then that's not why I buy them in the first place.
I guess we'll agree to disagree, but I don't think it's right to just generalize and assume people are 'self conscious' because they don't want to spend several hundreds of dollars on guitars that they don't find aestitically pleasing.

jamdogg

Reaction score
save an additional $20 when u sign up for emails. :cheers2:

FYI they had 60 Jrs, and 45 were pre-sold/sold - errr....make that 46.

93studiolite

Reaction score
If I hadn't bought my Strat a few months ago, I'd be all over one of those Juniors. I'm trying to save my money for a new amp at the moment. I'm sure I'll kick myself for not picking one of these up, but oh well.

Axis39

Reaction score
Man, I'm really struggling here... I am trying not to spend any money, but I've been eying those double cut Specials with the two P-90s since they came out. I love the wider neck, I even like the signature on the headstock.

I've been wanting a 2 p-90 guitar to replace the heavy 50's Tribute I've been trying to sell for a while too...

Ugh... Killin' me!

jamdogg

Reaction score
I greatly respect and admire all those who show restraint on this monster deal.

jojo

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like much of a deal by the time you replace the nut and tuners. Saw on another forum where the dude got his and the tuners don't work correctly.

yamariv

Reaction score
Man, I'm really struggling here... I am trying not to spend any money, but I've been eying those double cut Specials with the two P-90s since they came out. I love the wider neck, I even like the signature on the headstock.

I've been wanting a 2 p-90 guitar to replace the heavy 50's Tribute I've been trying to sell for a while too...

Ugh... Killin' me!
If it's exactly the guitar you want then what are you waiting for!??:naughty::naughty:

yamariv

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like much of a deal by the time you replace the nut and tuners. Saw on another forum where the dude got his and the tuners don't work correctly.
You'd be surprised at what the Gforce Tuning system will sell for in the classifieds.... I sold mine within a day or so of putting it on Kijiji and think I got $100 Canadian for it. A brand new set of locking grover tuners were at my door the following week for $90, can't go wrong with that math!.. The guy who bought the Gforce just didn't want to tune manually he told me..

smk506

Reaction score
Just wanted to update you guys and let you know I got my fedex tracking for the less plus today and the website is showing them now as in stock and ready to ship. Looks like Toneasaurus was probably right in his assessment above, makes me wonder what all else might still be kicking around over at gibson?

lbiz

Reaction score
Ugh...that Double Cut special is tempting. I have a great single cut Heritage with Lollars that fullfills the p90 requirements nicely. But these are so cheap, it's like I'd be crazy not to.

Axis39

Reaction score
If it's exactly the guitar you want then what are you waiting for!??:naughty::naughty:
I'm trying to pretend I'm responsible.... (It ain't working very well)

Funny thing is, I bought a '13 Junior Special on clearance when they were getting blown out... I loved that guitar, but sold it when times got tight a few years later. I made money on it.... But, I really kinda miss it still. Only things I really would have liked is a fatter neck and a double cut body. But, i coulda lived with that other neck... Although, I think the wide neck was a great move and really liked the couple I tried.

Dammit... it's sitting in the cart. All I have ot do is finish the sale....

Latest Threads