Sam Ash is blowing out 2015 Gibsons

smk506

Reaction score
They had two left in Nashville when I walked in this afternoon. One when I walked out...

View attachment 264826

The one out in Madison? I really like that one, they had a whole bunch of old roadstars there once.

I feel like there may be another Nashville one, but not sure.

civanodude

Reaction score
Anyone else running into crackling from static electricity? I thought itwas a scratchy vol pot but it turns out it is from static. I'd heard of it but never ran into it before.

I even took off the pickguard but no change. Southern AZ is pretty dry but this is the only guitar that I've run into this issue. I wonder if the case is a factor?

Axis39

Reaction score
The case may add to it, but a number of modern Gibsons I've owned have had the issue.

A couple of things you can do:
- keep a dryer sheet in the case with the guitar (been doing this for years)
- use Gibson's orange bottle guitar polish (this worked for me recently, and I love this polish!)
- any number of grounding schemes (I've never gone this far)
- stop playing it and just stare at it... NO, don't even touch it!!! (LOL)

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny to see this pop back up. I hadn't touched my double cut in a couple of weeks. Had fun with it, put it in the closet and went back to my regular A team. I got it out last night and was sorta stunned. Opened the lid and was hit in the face with "man, that's a beautiful thing". I actually did a double take. It's such a cool piece.

PierM

Reaction score
Anyone else running into crackling from static electricity? I thought itwas a scratchy vol pot but it turns out it is from static. I'd heard of it but never ran into it before.

I even took off the pickguard but no change. Southern AZ is pretty dry but this is the only guitar that I've run into this issue. I wonder if the case is a factor?
Just bought a SG Standard for my brother's birthday and JEBUS, it's a static crackling generator! I usually have those cracks an pops on all my gibson, but this one it's crazy. Hope to solve before give the guitar to my bro. :/

wmachine

Reaction score
........... I got it out last night and was sorta stunned. Opened the lid and was hit in the face with "man, that's a beautiful thing". I actually did a double take. It's such a cool piece.
That makes me laugh, but only because it is so true and so "human nature". That's the plus and minus of having lots of really nice guitars:
Minus: Good ones go unplayed.
Plus: A constant source of a "NGD" without having to buy any.

yamariv

Reaction score
I had Floridian FX custom make my smoked acrylic guard (w/slight bevel) & control cover for my JR. The PG is a subtle difference, but i dig it.

Love the smoked control cavity cover and pick guard, cool look! Looked around for a smoked cavity cover but decided not to cause I ended up copper foiling the stock cover when I did the whole cavity.

PunkKitty

Reaction score
And I have a warranty claim. Yay for Gibson's legendary QC! I received my Les Paul DC Special on August 11. I noticed this when I had it on the workbench to change strings. Luckily, Third Coast Guitar in Chicago is a factory authorized repair center. I dropped it off this evening. We'll see what happens.

jamdogg

Reaction score
it was my understanding some folks had an issue with the gold cases, where there was too much of a gap in spots that could potentially cause the neck to stress. I'm curious if that may be the issue.

PunkKitty

Reaction score
it was my understanding some folks had an issue with the gold cases, where there was too much of a gap in spots that could potentially cause the neck to stress. I'm curious if that may be the issue.
I don't know for sure. I brought everything to the shop. They are authorized repair. I'm letting them handle it. But this is totally unacceptable on a 3 month old guitar.

Axis39

Reaction score
I actually had the opposite issue in the case for my '15 Less Plus Gold Top. My buddy had the same issue with his '14. I did a thread on the fix in the Tech Forum. It required me to pull the flap lid out of the case, carve down the cardboard at the hinge part and stick the black fuzz back in place. Didn't take long... even with me trying to figure it out and take pictures at the same time. My buddy's guitar actually got full on dents in the back of the neck and he had to send it off to Gibson to be repaired.... They replaced the case with the more traditional, brown guitar shaped case with the pink lining, like my '13 Custom Lite came in.

** Sorry, edit, Tonefreaks forum, not tech section**

Last edited:

Rando375

Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually had the opposite issue in the case for my '15 Less Plus Gold Top. My buddy had the same issue with his '14. I did a thread on the fix in the Tech Forum. It required me to pull the flap lid out of the case, carve down the cardboard at the hinge part and stick the black fuzz back in place. Didn't take long... even with me trying to figure it out and take pictures at the same time. My buddy's guitar actually got full on dents in the back of the neck and he had to send it off to Gibson to be repaired.... They replaced the case with the more traditional, brown guitar shaped case with the pink lining, like my '13 Custom Lite came in.

** Sorry, edit, Tonefreaks forum, not tech section**
So you fixed it yourself? My yellow DC has that same case issue. I haven't even bothered to look at other than to confirm whether I had a good or bad one.
Cool, I'll probably just fix it verse trying to go through Gibson.

Latest Threads