Safety Tips: Large Amounts of Cash and CL

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but everyone has been so welcoming and supportive since I joined this board so I thought I'd throw this topic out. I would really appreciate your insights.

I'm new to selling vintage and I will be selling a vintage Martin on Craiglist for around $5000 really soon. I have a few questions:

1) Where is the best place to do this safety?
2) Do you prefer to deal in cash or cashier checks?
3) How do you sense/know if it's a scam or there might be a safety risk?

I just picked up the guitar from my luthier, and he said he has one client who meets his buyers in the lobby of the local police station and that's where they do the deal. I thought this was a very creative idea, but I don't know that it would work for solid body guitars. It would be fine for acoustics.

Even if you do the deal in the police station, they could still follow you home, but if they cut you a cashiers check they have your name.

Sorry if I sound a little paranoid. Along time ago I had a gun held to my head in a retail store where I had to open a safe to avoid getting killed.

I thought maybe a local community college would be good, since they have security there.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Charmed Life

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I've only done Craigslist once and had the person come to my home. I didn't take them through the house, I made them enter through our stormcellar. It was dumb, I know. It turned out well, though.

I did meet one person from the board in a music shop halfway between our locations. That was awesome. We got to try out each other's guitar's before trading, and it seemed like a good deal all around.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could meet the guy at your local bank, or even in front of the Police dept. And bring your boys to cover your back. :cool:

stringbender11

Reaction score
Ive done many Cl deals but never bought anything over $400. If it were me selling something for $5k I would want to meet somewhere like a police station for sure. Most people are fine but with that much money involved I'd wanna be extra careful. And I'd want cash, not a cashier's check unless we met at the buyers bank and the there employees reassured me everything was good.

Btw, I would even try and sell a guitar that expensive on CL. Virtually NOBODY on there will have the funds for a guitar like that. You'll get time wasters and lowballers offering you way under what it's worth. I honestly wouldnt even list it once.
I'd probably have a shop sell it on consignment instead. You could do eBay to, but you risk the buyer deciding he doesnt like it and returning it w/o a valid reason. Plus of course the sky high fees you'll pay.

HRC

Reaction score
I would do cash only. On a deal for that much cash I'd have another person with me and meet in a public place.

questionman

Reaction score
Ive dealt quite a bit on CL. never once had an issue. Granted I always talk for extended periods of time over the phone before hand. Never met in a neutral location, always felt fine at home. Never let the other person past the first room or 2 of my house though. But to be on the safe side ALWAYS write the SR/s somewhere before you meet up just in case that rare once in a lot event happens

L.A.L.P.

Reaction score
College idea is o.k. NEAR the Security office being best. As was said the Police Station, parking lot of a Fire Station...even a restaurant just an area with LOTS of folks mulling about is safest.
I have done many MANY, guitar/amp/computer.....car...motorcycle...volkswagen bus.....purchases and sales off craigslist...sometimes 2 a week or more (I buy and flip gear, always buying and selling) as a sideline income. I have yet to have an issue.
Cash has always been my preference. Large sums I prefer meeting at a bank, especially if they INSIST on using a cashiers check I meet them at the bank the checks drawn on and cash it immediately.
As stated if you are nervous take a friend or 2 with you. That is a sizable amount and could certainly entice nefarious types.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Public place like Mall, Wal Mart Parking Lot (or other place). Bring Cash and if the deal sounds too good to be true chance are it probably is.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Meet at a Guitar Center (or local music store). I know that you're selling an acoustic guitar, but for electrics, they can test them out before buying. Cash only and if you don't have one, get a pen that tests for counterfeit bills.

If they insist on a cashiers check… pass. If they can come up with a cashiers check, they have the cash.

A police station is slightly overkill.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could meet at my house...I'm well armed. :thumb:

:laugh2:

Findthetone

Reaction score
Always in a high visibility public place and always carrying a gun. That's how I do them.

Sinster

Reaction score
When I do CL deals I carry 10 of my lead friends. I always feel like an idiot because everything goes pretty smoothly and haven't met any freak/creppy etc. people yet.

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone; this is great input. While we're on the subject, does Stringbender have a valid point? Should I just avoid CL completely? Am I just gonna get a bunch of lowballers? I can get my money out of this thing w/o getting hurt, no problem, but most shops want 20% for a consignment deal. I will still come out okay, but it makes the deal thin. I've never sold anything this expensive on CL.

JMV

Reaction score
I deal in cash only, in very public and well populated places, and carrying concealed. If anything about the deal makes me uncomfortable or makes me feel as though the situation would be unsafe, I bow out.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I can't imagine bringing a gun along to a craigslist purchase. Mind you down here the only stuff on craigslist is old lounges, bar stools with 2 and a half legs etc.:laugh2:

I'd still only take payment in cash from a buyer though. If things went bad it would get down to an old fashioned fist fight.

I have been thinking of a trip to the states to buy a couple of guitars at some stage. You gun toting dudes would freak me right out if I had just got off a plane and cruised on down to buy a les paul.:shock:
Thanks for the wake up call.:thumb:

Sinster

Reaction score
Here's my policy on carrying a gun.... if I'm headed out somewhere that I think I might need to shoot somebody, to keep from getting killed... I don't go there.

Seriously... you are doing a transaction in a public place, and think it might turn into a shootout? If that is a possibility, eat your loss, and sell to Guitar Center for half what you'll get on Craigslist. Even when you are victorious in a self-defense shooting, it is going to cost you many thousands of dollars in legal fees.

It's not the fear of losing my gear or whatever I'm selling or purchasing. It's the fear of losing my life to some deranged person. I want' to at least have a fighting chance even though it could be slim. I'm not ready to die yet. Doesn't matter if it's at a public place people will still to do stupid shit.

Findthetone

Reaction score
Here's my policy on carrying a gun.... if I'm headed out somewhere that I think I might need to shoot somebody, to keep from getting killed... I don't go there.

Seriously... you are doing a transaction in a public place, and think it might turn into a shootout? If that is a possibility, eat your loss, and sell to Guitar Center for half what you'll get on Craigslist. Even when you are victorious in a self-defense shooting, it is going to cost you many thousands of dollars in legal fees.

Thanks for the legal tip:cool: not sure why you liked my other post if you disagree with it.
Here's my policy: I carry one for a living, know how the world works and don't live in a bubble. Just because I want to sell something on CL doesn't mean I should become a victim. You think the majority of victims that get jacked from CL scams leave their house saying "oh I'm probably going to get robbed during this"?
Yes, there was a time when the philosophy of "Don't go there if you KNOW it's going to be dangerous" worked. Those days are long gone brother. It can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone.
Rant over

JMV

Reaction score
Next time I do a CL deal with some of you cats, I'm going to ask if you can pay me in handguns!

Buying, selling, and trading firearms through classifieds is a whole nother experience altogether. :laugh2:

I'd totally be up for a firearms for music gear trade. :thumb:

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I meet at a music store with cameras LOL and I carry either open-carry or concealed.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Daytime. Secured storage lot, people in the office, with cameras on the lot, and coded entrance and exit. I've sold antiques that way. They're not getting in or out without me. And did I mention they're on camera?

Latest Threads