Sad Day! Advice needed. New(used) GC guitar damaged in shipping

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I had ordered a used 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Alpine White the other day. It arrived last night, and the morons at GC did a horrible packing job. 2 layers of bubble wrap around body of guitar, and some of that crushed paper as padding on the sides. Well, UPS around my parts sees it as a challenge to damage every box they can, and sure enough, they got this one.

Normally, I'd just take it back and say f it. However, my other new headstock style Epi LP Custom(black/ebony) has horrible fret work and the bridge pickup sounds the poorest of any of my Epi LP's. So I figured I'd clean this white one up, and play it a bit to check the fret work, and pickup sound. This White one's pickup is about equally bad as the ebony one. However, the fret work is GREAT! So now I'm wondering if asking GC for a discount on the guitar due to the shipping damage, and how much is fair to ask? I'd consider this guitar in poor to fair condition now given the damage, but maybe I'm off. However, I bought a fair condition Epi LP Custom Silverburst earlier in the year, and it had some damage near the jack plate, chunk of paint/binding missing, love the guitar still and paid like $234 or 274 for it. I think I gave $444($499 with shipping/tax) for this one. I'm thinking I'd want at least $150 off maybe $200? Is that too much to expect for damage pictured????
IMG_1236 (2).JPG
IMG_1238 (2).JPG
IMG_1239 (2).JPG
IMG_1242 (2).JPG
IMG_1244 (2).JPG

• Wow
Reactions: BKS

fry

Reaction score
If you like it enough to keep it, throw a large number at them. What else are they going to do with it? I think they would be happy to get a deal done with you.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I called the shipping store and mentioned $200 and he scoffed at it, said no way they'd do that. May end up just taking it to the local GC and returning. Any other advice? Talk to the phone reps?

bungle

Reaction score
Nasty ding. Just get it replaced..

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
That looks nasty, I would return it.

mfoster

Reaction score
I would return it to the local GC. You'll most likely find another one exactly like that soon for a similar price

fry

Reaction score
You might take it into the local store and try to get some negotiation done there. If I was running the place, I would gladly give you back $200 to keep it. I’d be thanking my lucky stars that someone was willing to buy it in that condition. I personally wouldn’t keep it for any discount, but it’s your dime.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I called the manager back, got his email and sent him this email: If he doesn't go for it, then I'll return it. I think I can fix it, and while it won't be MINT, it doesn't seem to effect how it plays, and the neck is GOOD. Call it "relic'd" lol!

Email:
Pictures attached of the damaged guitar received. I hope you can understand my frustration when I ordered a guitar listed in great condition and receive this. I would also recommend having a discussion with whomever packed this item, as I must say UPS will reject any claim of damage, due to poor packing quality. There were a couple of layers of bubble wrap material around the guitar, and some crushed paper padding on the sides. These are heavy guitars. I have 5 other Epiphone Les Pauls I've gotten through Guitar Center used, and all arrived in good condition as they had been packed appropriately. I value my time, and don't appreciate having to take time out of my day/schedule in order to rectify what amounts to someone else's error. Despite the hassle, the damage, and what it might cost to fix this guitar, I do like how it plays. As I stated in my phone conversation, I feel $200 off the price and a refund of shipping charge, is a fair offer given the damage/condition of this guitar, and my inconvenience. Please explain any rationale for refusing my offer, and provide a counter offer and explanation.

fry

Reaction score
Well, I would say you’re going to get an answer to that. May not be the one you want, but I doubt they’re going to spend any time on the fence thinking about it. I don’t know how places like GC deal with stuff like this through UPS. I know that UPS has to thoroughly investigate any damage claim, they need to see the package in it’s entirety, box and packing material. Then they determine if they are at fault, or the shipper. Sounds like GC is to blame in this case, not UPS.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
I called the manager back, got his email and sent him this email: If he doesn't go for it, then I'll return it. I think I can fix it, and while it won't be MINT, it doesn't seem to effect how it plays, and the neck is GOOD. Call it "relic'd" lol!

Email:
Pictures attached of the damaged guitar received. I hope you can understand my frustration when I ordered a guitar listed in great condition and receive this. I would also recommend having a discussion with whomever packed this item, as I must say UPS will reject any claim of damage, due to poor packing quality. There were a couple of layers of bubble wrap material around the guitar, and some crushed paper padding on the sides. These are heavy guitars. I have 5 other Epiphone Les Pauls I've gotten through Guitar Center used, and all arrived in good condition as they had been packed appropriately. I value my time, and don't appreciate having to take time out of my day/schedule in order to rectify what amounts to someone else's error. Despite the hassle, the damage, and what it might cost to fix this guitar, I do like how it plays. As I stated in my phone conversation, I feel $200 off the price and a refund of shipping charge, is a fair offer given the damage/condition of this guitar, and my inconvenience. Please explain any rationale for refusing my offer, and provide a counter offer and explanation.
His reply:

"Cuz I'm the manager of a Guitar Center, and you're just some random guy. I bet you can't even play Freebird".

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
His reply:

"Cuz I'm the manager of a Guitar Center, and you're just some random guy. I bet you can't even play Freebird".
ROFMAO! I needed that!

I know most if not all of you think I should just return it. I can understand that point of view. However, I made the mistake of playing it, and tbh it speaks to me! However, people say that some instruments just fit you! It's certainly a diamond in the rough, but if I could score it for around $300 total/all in. I'd be happy with it, and could mod it, fix it, and live with the damage at that price! The neck is wonderful, I'd put it up there with my Custom Silverburst as far as default fret work, getting a nice playable lowish action w/out any fret working etc.... My other's are playable in as shipped condition(except for new ebony which I had a thread about), but not ideal, and have needed or will need some work to address fret leveling etc...

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
I called the shipping store and mentioned $200 and he scoffed at it, said no way they'd do that. May end up just taking it to the local GC and returning. Any other advice? Talk to the phone reps?
Scoffed? Really? Wow,... I'd return asap.

*Preferably to that clown so they'd have to deal with trying to sell that mess. Good luck!

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Scoffed? Really? Wow,... I'd return asap.

*Preferably to that clown so they'd have to deal with trying to sell that mess. Good luck!
I'd say scoffed, maybe I'm wrong, but he dismissed it in a heartbeat, and seemed like that was the end of it. I had offered to send pics before, he didn't seem interested. I sent that email with pics to him a bit ago, after I called back, and requested his email. If I don't get a reply in a day or two, I'll escalate to some of the general customer service rep manager or whomever I can send off a salvo of frustration towards lol. At this point, I'm getting stubborn that I want the damm thing, but will likely have to return it due to GC's indifference to "making things right". Seems most of the comments call for returning it due to the damage, and maybe $200 isn't enough off to justify the condition. But I'd be under $300 total all in, if they did that anyway, and to me, I like the guitar enough to keep it for that. Not like I'm collecting Epi LP's as collector items or anything. I enjoy playing them, and despite the damage this one plays really nice.

tzd

Reaction score
It looks like the paint has lifted all the way up to the neck volume knob. I wouldn't call this relic, this is damage, broken. Return it and get your money back!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If you go to GC and show them the damage in person, you may have a better change coming up with a fair amount back between the two of you.

Latest Threads