running coax cable and cat5e cable in the same conduit ok?

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im going to be running some coax cable and cat5e cable in the same conduit... i was wondering if this would be ok... the cat5e is for an internet connection and the coax for a direct tv connection, if i were running both at the same time do you dont think the cat5e would get any interference in frequency or things of the like? sorry if this is a dumb question but im ignorant on the subject... thanks for the help :)

dubyatf

Reaction score
It's fine. Use quality cable!! I'd also pull a spare fish line (for future stuff!) while you're at it. The thing to be weary of is ac power 'noise' in close proximity to low voltage cables.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just like cleaning carpet.
If you rub a bit of baby oil on your nuts first it'll work better.

Don't ask why, it just does.:thumb:

Drudeboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im going to be running some coax cable and cat5e cable in the same conduit... i was wondering if this would be ok... the cat5e is for an internet connection and the coax for a direct tv connection, if i were running both at the same time do you dont think the cat5e would get any interference in frequency or things of the like? sorry if this is a dumb question but im ignorant on the subject... thanks for the help :)

should not create any problems, the twisted pairs in cat5 work to cancel out interference and the coax will not be carrying any voltages that could cause emf.

Adwex

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
should not create any problems, the twisted pairs in cat5 work to cancel out interference and the coax will not be carrying any voltages that could cause emf.
Agreed.
Also, the shield surrounding the conductor in the coax (hence the name) acts as a barrier against unwanted induced signals entering or exiting the cable.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ahh... good to know folks... thanks for the info =D

PunkerJon

Reaction score
I've been told you can get interference with Cat5 if you run it parallel to electrical unless it is or foot or so away. But no problems with CoAx/Cat5. They make "structured" cable, which is CoAx/Cat5 bonded together and they wouldn't if there were interference issues.

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
I've been told you can get interference with Cat5 if you run it parallel to electrical unless it is or foot or so away. But no problems with CoAx/Cat5. They make "structured" cable, which is CoAx/Cat5 bonded together and they wouldn't if there were interference issues.
Yes. You will.

It will be a transformer principle where the signal is electromagnetically transferred to nearby conductors. Power cables are the worst because of their big currents flowing through the copper inducing powerfull magnetic fields (compared to signal cables).

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I do it all the time- Coax, Cat5E, bulk fiber it's fine.

You always run your power cables separate from data/signal cables so there is no induction.

Bling- depending on the length of you conduit and if you are making wall/floor penetrations you may need to get a fish tape and nylon string so that you can pull the cables through at once.

also it's easier if you don't have the RJ45 connectors on the Cat5 when you run it in depending on the size of your conduit.

If you need more help on how to make the connections if you leave the connectors off, (color code for 568B, etc.) there are a few of us that know how to do it.

PunkerJon

Reaction score
Another thing about fishing conduit is the more turns you have to pull through the more difficult it will be. A few turns is no problem but when you have 4 or more it can be a pain especially if the conduit it not big enough. It's not a bad idea to use a wire pulling lube (not liquid hand/dishsoap) even if you have just a few turns, that way it will be easier to pull more cables through in the future, given that you left a pull string in and there is room to add more cables. The best is to simply pull an extra of each cable in case you have problems with one, or there is the chance you may add more devices.

Here is some structured wire...
http://www.smarthome.com/868261J/2-Cat-5e-2-RG6-Quad-Cable-Jacket-500-Feet-RG6-Coax-Cable/p.aspx

GNR4EVR

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Golden rule: No AC & DC wires in the same conduit.. FXXX Shit up. Other than that, youre good to go.

dubyatf

Reaction score
Here's a tip if you're using schedule 40... "Pull" cable as you cement the sections together. You won't even need a fish tape but leave a polypropylene fish line abandoned in there in case you ever want to pull mufti-mode fiber optic (or some other yet-to-be-designed fancy pants transmission medium) out to your new place and turn it into a data center! :thumb:

Latest Threads