Rule #32 - Enjoy the little things

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Thread title was taken from the classic Zombieland.

Though true, I think it misses the mark on cosmic truth just a tiny bit. For, to enjoy the little things you have to be open to see, to witness them, notice them when they happen, and THEN enjoy them.

I was reminded of this, just moments ago.

I was out riding my bike. I took my usual path, laps around the park central in the town. It's 1.5 miles a lap. Feeling the wind in my hair, the endorphins of physical activity, out in the sun, rolling hills, everything greening, with fluffy cumulus clouds floating by, Bluetooth phones feeding me classic rock party from sirius, could have been one of those moments. And, really it is. But it wasn't the one I'm here to write about,

Seeing children practicing LaCrosse, Baseball, soccer, once again, albeit maybe not in the numbers, or with the throngs of watching parents, of not long ago. could have been the moment as well.

It too, was A moment, but is not THE moment.

No, the moment, the little thing, was coming around a corner, just as the chorus of Journey's Don't Stop Believing hits my ears, I see a sparkle. It isn't precious jewels, or a fine car. No, it was the Municipal pool once again filled, in anticipation of Memorial Day. Mind, you just 3 days ago, the last time I passed it, it was drained, empty, as it has been for the last 20 some months.

I distinctly remember all last summer, seeing that empty pool, when it should have been full of water, screaming kids, families having fun, was a sad, depressing sight. I never did figure out which was sadder, that empty deserted pool, pr the empty jungle gyms and play parks,

But, that sight of hope, with "Don't stop believin', Hold on to that feelin' " in my ears, hit me in oh so many good ways. Seeing that hopeful, filled pool, looking forward to what we knew once, and loved, and will love again, filled my heart with swelling joy. It made my mouth break into a giant, uncontrollable smile. And, yes, a few tears of joy hit my eyes protected by the wrap around glasses.

It reminded me of a scene withTom Hanks as Joe Banks, in Joe Vs the Volcano. It's a guilty pleasure movie of mine. Joe, who thinks he has a Brain CLoud, and mere weeks to live, is on his way to go out like a hero, casting himself into a Volcano to appease the Island God for the Island people. The yacht he was on had sank. Only he, the woman he will learn he loves, and his 4, watertight, tight as a drum, steamer trunks survived, On his raft of trunks, the woman unconscious, dehydrated, starving, he witnesses the moon rise on the endless horizon of the ocean.

He has one of those cosmic epiphanies. He sees that moon, looking so big as the atmosphere magnifies it, and he realizes how glorious the world, the universe, all creation is. It hit him how every moment, every moment of his life is a gift. In fact he says in a shaky, dehydrated voice “Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how big... thank you. Thank you for my life.”

All of that hit my mind, and my heart, triggered by seeing that pool, filled with water, in anticipation for a return to just a little bit of goodness, joy, fun and life.

Last edited:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, good post. The last few months have been a rollercoaster for me. In fact as I’m typing this I just got done crying about a scene in the sand lot, just because of the goodness and innocence and comraderie it shows.

I’m finally starting to feel like things can start to be normal again, and I too have been looking closer at things I may have taken for granted in the past. Hell, I watched a crane fishing on a lake for 20 minutes straight recently. It was enthralling.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
September 8, 2021... I will be having breakfast, poolside at Bellagio in Vegas.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I too recently had this same wonderful feeling

I mean I was checking out a chick in booty-shorts while marveling at the miracle of it all but that shouldn't take away from the moment.

:laugh2:

Cheers man, and yes I know what you mean. :dude:

Latest Threads