RS True 60s

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Anyone played these? I’m thinking of slapping them into my 335.

There’s some info about them sounding good with LPs and being a vintage hot type set. This seems to fly in the face of the “low wound a2” recommendations for 335s out there.

Plugging into Brit amps with minimal effects - rock player. Stax, Sun, and CBGBs type rock vibes.

Id love to experiment but given that it’s a 335, I wanna get it right. Anyone try these in a semi?

Both RS and Fralin told me they’d work, but the tinkerer in me could use some feedback or insights - not that I doubt them.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Anyone played these? I’m thinking of slapping them into my 335.

There’s some info about them sounding good with LPs and being a vintage hot type set. This seems to fly in the face of the “low wound a2” recommendations for 335s out there.

Plugging into Brit amps with minimal effects - rock player. Stax, Sun, and CBGBs type rock vibes.

Id love to experiment but given that it’s a 335, I wanna get it right. Anyone try these in a semi?

Both RS and Fralin told me they’d work, but the tinkerer in me could use some feedback or insights - not that I doubt them.
I’ve never personally owned a semi hollow myself, although I plan on buying one within a couple months. Theoretically, all pickups are useable in a semi hollow. It’s a matter of how the amp is setup, but also the gain/volume. The way I hear most pickups in hollow/semi guitar are either warm and rounded, low output bright parallel tone, or p90 bite type humbuckers. Even an Emg mind you will be perfectly fine in a semi hollow. In my mind, the emgs are active, much like an acoustic preamp (not really) and therefore can give way a little more without pushing the amp too much. (Not really). Basically when it comes to hollowed guitars and amps, especially tube amps (ss can get just as bad though) you typically change amp setting for a specific guitar you’re playing right? Well in this case, you are setting the amp according to your pickups and electronics. Grounded or not, depending on how many/what type of electronics are in the guitar, different frequencies will be present, and whether we can’t hear them, the amp will still react accordingly. Basically just tinker with the amp until you get a sound you like that doesn’t effect you with feedback. But yes, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. Vintage hot is usually what I see along side rounded warm pickups in hollowed guitars.

jbash

Reaction score
My fave Semi Hollow tones come from 60s Pat#s and later T top pickups (and their clones). They are perfect for midrange heavy barky ES 3x5 series guitars.

I've not tried the RS pickups.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
My fave Semi Hollow tones come from 60s Pat#s and later T top pickups (and their clones). They are perfect for midrange heavy barky ES 3x5 series guitars.

I've not tried the RS pickups.
I do have a set of bkp riff raffs which are like a 1960 paf - more t top sounding with the punchy alnico 5 mag and relatively even coils.

Thanks guys.

I assumed with what the RS cost, there’d be relatively limited opinions out there.

jbash

Reaction score
I do have a set of bkp riff raffs which are like a 1960 paf - more t top sounding with the punchy alnico 5 mag and relatively even coils.

Thanks guys.

I assumed with what the RS cost, there’d be relatively limited opinions out there.
If you are not using the Riff Raffs, I would absolutely pop those in there first.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
If you are not using the Riff Raffs, I would absolutely pop those in there first.
Im leaning towards them at this point - or I was until MCT chimed in.

MCT what kind of PAF vibe are they? I assume tighter/brighter with short mags?

MCT

Reaction score
I was pretty sure they’re long A2’s

ARandall

Reaction score
Any pickup out there might be 'the one' for you and that guitar. Equally, any pickup might be absolutely horrible - despite glowing reviews given by every guitar player on the planet save yourself.
I've gone by 'typical recommendations' and had them wrong as many times as they are right.

So given the random nature of pickups, I'd say you're missing a potential match if you don't at least audition what you already have on hand. At the very least, if you are determined to buy another set you'll have a back to back to make a valid justification for one over the other.

AJK1

Reaction score
I think the Riff Raffs would sound better anyway, especially if they are Unpotted

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Any pickup out there might be 'the one' for you and that guitar. Equally, any pickup might be absolutely horrible - despite glowing reviews given by every guitar player on the planet save yourself.
I've gone by 'typical recommendations' and had them wrong as many times as they are right.

So given the random nature of pickups, I'd say you're missing a potential match if you don't at least audition what you already have on hand. At the very least, if you are determined to buy another set you'll have a back to back to make a valid justification for one over the other.
True… If I didn’t hate soldering with a passion, I’d probably flip ‘em back to back. We’re i. The same page, but being pretty new to semis I figured I’d see if there was any kind of overwhelming consensus - or just more info on the true 60s. I’m spoiled by guys like throbak and rewind who put a fair amount of “shop talk” out there. Appreciate your inout

I think the Riff Raffs would sound better anyway, especially if they are Unpotted
They’re unpotted - it’s a subtle difference but there. I have a set of bkp mules that are unpotted too and they sound just as good as a real PAF set I have but more “sculpted” or “refined” - I like these kinds of “ideal” pickups as well as the straight vintage repro stuff.

So many choices - thanks for the feedback

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried them but I was told once that the Psychebilly pups RS markets are better pups than the True 60's.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Never tried them but I was told once that the Psychebilly pups RS markets are better pups than the True 60's.
Interesting - from who? I’m curious what’s better.

Psychobilly is so far from my style the thought never even crossed my mind.

MCT

Reaction score
I have both, and respectfully disagree- I prefer the Tru 60’s

ARandall

Reaction score
The same page, but being pretty new to semis I figured I’d see if there was any kind of overwhelming consensus - or just more info on the true 60s.
What happens when your guitar and you are the one exception from the 'consensus'. I mean listen to enough opinions and you'll get every possible scenario given to you. And then what do you listen to then.

Look, Im all for buying cool pickups. I just tend to go for it knowing I can always slide a set into another guitar if they're not right where I bought them for.
Hell I bought a set of ECP RD 59's after they won the MLP pickup shootout. It quite literally took about 5 different guitars and 6 years before they found the best chassis for them. Luckily for me I have either solid guitars, or I've made my semihollows from scratch and have rear access plates for them.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
What happens when your guitar and you are the one exception from the 'consensus'. I mean listen to enough opinions and you'll get every possible scenario given to you. And then what do you listen to then.

Look, Im all for buying cool pickups. I just tend to go for it knowing I can always slide a set into another guitar if they're not right where I bought them for.
Hell I bought a set of ECP RD 59's after they won the MLP pickup shootout. It quite literally took about 5 different guitars and 6 years before they found the best chassis for them. Luckily for me I have either solid guitars, or I've made my semihollows from scratch and have rear access plates for them.
Good food for thought. I’ve got both sets in hand (love riff raffs, always wanted to try the 60s and got a great price) so eventually they’ll end up where they need to go. I can relate to your quest with the ECPs but with a set of actual PAFs. Ive also had some crazy good luck straight out of the gate.

The rear access panel sounds like a great idea!

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Yep, I've made quite a few semihollow guitars of all types as they're an intriguing design to me. They never once are solid backed.

stephen78

Reaction score
I have both, and respectfully disagree- I prefer the Tru 60’s
Can you share some differences between the two and why you prefer the True 60s? I’ve been wondering about both of these sets.

Latest Threads