RS pre-wired kit for '68 reissue. Differences?

blastcap

Reaction score
Needing help in selecting a pre-wired electronics kit for my '68 Custom reissue. The guitar has 57 Classic pickups which Im not in love with at the moment. The neck sounds dull and wooly while the bridge is bright, thin and metallic?
Someone suggested I upgrade the guts first, so was looking at RS vintage pre-wired kits. Can anyone help me, as I have no clue what Im looking at here. Such as differences between the Jensen and Bumble Bee caps?
We play everything from ZZ Top, Zep, old Ozzy, Van Halen, etc. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Eric Duane

Reaction score
I would swap the neck pup. Maybe a BB1 or a throbak. Pots and caps are usually pretty good in those 68's. but if you want a pressured kit try Martin six string. He's got great kits.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for the kind words, Eric.

OP - I'd personally swap out the harness first. Once you've got better pots and caps, you just might have a new opinion on the pickups. In that guitar, I'd go with .015 paper in oil in the neck and .022 paper in oil in the bridge.

LPB-7

Reaction score
I've owned many '68 reissues and the wiring and pots are not that great IMO. Gibson is using "Gibson USA" parts for that reissue. Try a new harness first before changing pickups. You'll notice difference of tone right away.:thumb:

blastcap

Reaction score
Thanks for input guys. Hey Matt can I call you directly at work to ask a few questions and place an order?

blastcap

Reaction score
On the site now. '68 Custom Reissue's are Long Shaft? Right?

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
If you get long shaft, they'll always work. You'll just need to tweak the retaining nut inside the cavity to get the shaft to be the right height for your tone/volume knobs

If you buy a short shaft pots and they're too short then there's not much you can do except return and buy a long shaft pots anyway.

I always get long shaft pots for that reason

electro

Reaction score
I have a 68 with Martin six strings setup, could not be happier. Great roll off on the volumes. I keep the bridge pickup tone on 3 so have a lot of room for added brightness. I switched out the bridge pickup for a Lindy Fralin pure PAF and couldn't be happier. I can get almost tele sounds when rolled off on volume. For the neck I put in a Lollar P90 in the humbucker size. Had to send it back and have it reversed wired to work with the Fralin. But with combo and the MSS pots everything is great.

electro

Reaction score
I have a 68 with Martin six strings setup, could not be happier. Great roll off on the volumes. I keep the bridge pickup tone on 3 so have a lot of room for added brightness. I switched out the bridge pickup for a Lindy Fralin pure PAF and couldn't be happier. I can get almost tele sounds when rolled off on volume. For the neck I put in a Lollar P90 in the humbucker size. Had to send it back and have it reversed wired to work with the Fralin. But with combo and the MSS pots everything is great.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get long shaft, they'll always work. You'll just need to tweak the retaining nut inside the cavity to get the shaft to be the right height for your tone/volume knobs

If you buy a short shaft pots and they're too short then there's not much you can do except return and buy a long shaft pots anyway.

I always get long shaft pots for that reason

+1 :cool:

blastcap

Reaction score
Spoke with Matt on the phone today and got everything ordered up and all questions answered. Couldnt be happier with the attention and time he took with this newbie. Much appreciated.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Matt on the phone today and got everything ordered up and all questions answered. Couldnt be happier with the attention and time he took with this newbie. Much appreciated.

My pleasure Sammy :)

Latest Threads