Routing templates - material and thickness?

R

Resolve

Hello,

I'm starting to create my own body shapes etc and want to get into the habit is creating master templates to make everyday templates from.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on acrylic/plexiglass templates and whether they make better everyday templates or just as a master template?

When it comes to thickness, what do people recommend got durability/useability in regards to router bit depth?

Thanks

Knarbens

Reaction score
I worked with acrylic and MDF so far. Acrylic is a GOOD master but I think I like working with MDF more. For both I prefer a thickness of 12 mm aka 1/2". Sometimes a thinner or thicker MDF template works better here and there ... depends on the job.

R

Resolve

I was thinking acrylic around 10mm thick will be my preferred choice for master templates.. so I shall invest in some soon.

As for working with the acrylic, how does it work in regards to bandsaw shaping/routing? Any special precautions?

I was also thinking it'll be useful to have some straight lengths of acrylic as "guide rails" and as templates for routing the straight sides of neck templates etc.

Might speed things up slightly when making prototype templates!

Knarbens

Reaction score
I was thinking acrylic around 10mm thick will be my preferred choice for master templates.. so I shall invest in some soon.

As for working with the acrylic, how does it work in regards to bandsaw shaping/routing? Any special precautions?

I was also thinking it'll be useful to have some straight lengths of acrylic as "guide rails" and as templates for routing the straight sides of neck templates etc.

Might speed things up slightly when making prototype templates!

Ah, ok. I worked with the acrylic templates – so I haven't used them as master only. For a master job only I guess even 6 or 8 mm would be enough for a bearing to ride on? Also I had mine laser cut so I don't know how it works.

10_templates_zps4cd1d404.jpg

Having straight lengths in your shop is very useful. MDF cut with a buzz saw worked for me.

Latest Threads