Router bits

pshupe

Reaction score
I would like to get an idea of the what router bits people are using for their carves, and other routes. I was working on my guitars on the weekend and had difficulty finding the bits that I needed.

It would be nice to have a little list of what bits are used for specific areas. eg. Carve templates, TR cavity, chambering, and the other cavities that are cut with a template in the box jig. I don't have a lot of experience with router bits and don't necessarily want to run out and buy a bunch of different ones.

Please post pics of the router bits and bearings that you guys use. Thanks a lot.

Regards Peter.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
The right bits are determined by your templates. If I can attach Bartlett's recommendation, I will. They are obviously specific to his build process, though.

As always, for US folks, I recommend Brian Holbren and Whitesides.

pshupe

Reaction score
Hey Lefty - I'm having difficulty with finding the right router bits, mainly for my box jig templates - My 5/8" mdf rectangular templates fit in my box that sits right on top of the body+topcap - 1-3/4"+5/8". So I guess I need a bit that has a bearing on the top, or shaft the size of the bit that hits the top 5/8" and then extends to cut from 1/16" down to 7/16" for the carve templates, and then a bit that the bearing would still hits the top 5/8" and goes down much further to cut the PUP, neck pocket, PUP plane, and neck plane, as well as the control cavity covers. I would love to be able to do all of this with one bit! :fingersx: I have a plunge router that can easily adjust to all the depths but would ideally need a bit with about a 1/2" cutting blade, and then a shaft that is long so I can place a bearing where ever I need it to move up to my template for depth. Thanks I'll do a little sketch of what I mean.

pshupe

Reaction score
I was thinking something like this would work for most of the routes, something with a long enough shaft to get to the bottom of the neck cavity and with a moveable bearing to use on the box jig templates.

fngz94.jpg

Does someone have pictures of what they use for this, and I would also like to know about other bits you use for other routes. Thanks.

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Bartlett's has disappeared from this computer and I cannot find it on his site. They do not make a bit with a shaft like that because of "whip:" very high speed runout. Tom's templates use a 5/8 bushing quite a lot. I know I ended up buying a very long 1/2" and the longest 3/8" and a 7/16" was needed for one cut. If you are going to do the Maple/mahogany blended control cavity it just about requires the long 1/2"-mine is 21/2 or 3 inch cutting length. All but the 7/16th" except the 3/8th"

By the way, if you have a bit "let go" in use, your laundry bill will certainly go up! Sometimes they warn you, but more often it happens in a nano-second. Consider yourself lucky if one merely self-destructs without launching. I've seen a 1/2" deep with 3" diameter/ hole in concrete block. The lexan guards are better than nothing I guess.

I know it is hard to accept, but you can literally feel and see the difference when using a top quality bit.

I am goint to PM Tom.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thanks Lefty - we do have the long 1/2", i think it is almost 3" long, so that should work for the neck cavity. I will have to take a look through the Lee Valley book and see what other bits are going to be useful. Thanks again. I would still like to see pictures and descriptions of bits that other people use, or you Lefty, for these routes, even if all the bits are different. I wouldn't mind compiling a wish list, for birthdays and Xmas'. Cheers Peter.

alk-3

Reaction score
Thanks for the PM lefty. My templates no longer use a bunch of different bits and bushings. I was getting a lot of requests for 1:1 templates. In fact, most people were looking for 1:1 templates, which they can use with whichever bits they find suitable. The bits and bushings I had recommended for my templates initially have been harder and harder to find, and most if not all of them were not available locally, and had to be ordered in, so people didn't like that, and wanted something easier. In the end we went with 1:1 templates which work well with bearing bits, but really shine when you use them with a pin router.
Pin routers are much safer also, and allow you to use bits that are much better designed as they don't need to accommodate bearings, and other small parts.
Here is the work sheet for the old templates.

Latest Threads